New IEC fusion project - in-space thruster

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Matthew Travis

New IEC fusion project - in-space thruster

Post by Matthew Travis »

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum, although not to fusor technology. I wanted to post about a new project that I’m leading. I have been in discussions with the University of Illinois, Dr. George Miley’s team at the Fusion Research Laboratory, on something that they have proposed. Specifically, this will be a project to build a demonstration of an IEC fusion spacecraft thruster and fly it in LEO as a proof-of-concept. Dr. Miley proposed this over a decade ago. I was originally inspired by Miley’s paper “Space Probe Application Of IEC Thrusters”.

I’ve reached out to both Dr. Miley and Dr. Rizwan Uddin, Department Head of Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering at the University and they’ve expressed support. I plan on visiting the University next month to check out the lab and have some project kick-off meetings.

As for my background and how I fit in, I am one of the founders and currently CTO at Aphelion Aerospace, Inc. Aphelion is developing a small satellite launch vehicle and in-space propulsion products for spacecraft applications. Our first propulsion products will be on the market this year after over 4 years of development. When I joined the founding team as the first company President, one of my motivations was to build a business that could support projects like this. In the future, Aphelion will be able to launch the demonstrator or I can use my equity to purchase launch services from another provider.

Aphelion has a strong industry network to support this project, including companies such as epsilon3, Antaris, LeafSpace, Alaska Aerospace Corp, among others. Our network includes approximately a dozen companies.

So far for this project, I have been building a dedicated team to work with the UI Fusion Research Lab. We have several engineers as well as two contractors for design, simulation, and manufacturing support.

Hopefully, we’ll have something ready to fly by the end of 2025.
Matthew Travis
CEO, ARES Institute, Inc.
CEO, IEC, Inc.
matthew.travis@aresinstitute.org
Schedule a Meeting: https://calendly.com/matthewtravis
Rich Feldman

Re: New IEC fusion project - in-space thruster

Post by Rich Feldman »

Welcome, and good luck.

How is your Aphelion venture going? Its website appears to be unmaintained.
https://aphelionaerospace.com/
Can you give us hints about its novel rocket fuel chemistry,
before explaining here how you intend to get thrust from IEC fusion?
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
William Turner

Re: New IEC fusion project - in-space thruster

Post by William Turner »

I suspect fusion will play no real role in providing thrust ... it would have to be an ion engine at best and scam at worst.

Return to “New User Chat Area”