Edwards Diffstak 63 diffusion pump; Across International EasyVac7

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Arya Afshari

Edwards Diffstak 63 diffusion pump; Across International EasyVac7

Post by Arya Afshari »

Hello everyone,

As I narrow in on the equipment I need to build a fusor, I'm realizing the cost is higher than I originally thought.

Withat being said, I've found a decently priced Edwards Diffstak 63 diffusion pump that looks to be in good cosmetic condition (https://www.ebay.com/itm/325501312444). It's currently on sale, and priced at $675, is that a good price? And it's local to me, so I'll swing by to check it out in person, but I've never worked with a diffusion pump so what should I inspect?

Also, for the roughing pump I've found a decent deal on FaceBook Marketplace that comes with a vacuum oven (https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 780184820/). The vacuum pump is an Across International EasyVac7, single phase, 7 CFM, 150 microns. Would this serve as a good roughing pump for the Edwards Diffstak 63 diffusion pump?

And do you guys bake out your vacuum parts before pulling a vacuum? Or is that not necessary for fusors?

A preemptive thanks for the responses!
- Arya
Richard Hull

Re: Edwards Diffstak 63 diffusion pump; Across International EasyVac7

Post by Richard Hull »

150 microns is totally unacceptable bottoming pressure on any mechanical vacuum pump!! Read the FAQS!!!!
These talk specifically to mechanical pumps and another FAQ on diff pumps. Self-directed learning and study is expected here.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Arya Afshari

Post by Arya Afshari »

Thank you Richard for pointing me in the right direction.

- Arya
Last edited by Arya Afshari on Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Every new person has to also be warned not to use block quotes!

We are really smart enough to have read all preceding posts and never use block quotes of what is immediately above in a thread.
here is how you should have answered you post above.........

"Thank you Richard for pointing me in the right direction."

Arya

A simple reply is all that is needed. Please do not use block quotes in future. No one reads them here. Why?.... They have already read them in the original post. Thanks

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Arya Afshari

Post by Arya Afshari »

Well Richard, thanks again for correcting me. The above egregious error has been rectified.
Perhaps there is a "Rules of the Road" for this forum that I am missing.

- Arya
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Other that using you real name when first signing up and not using block quotes in responses that is about it. Oh using the FAQs in each related forum you will usually find all of your questions answered as they have been asked and answered by a steady stream of FAQs since 1999 here.

example What voltage do I need to do fusion. a quick check of the FAQs in the High voltage forum will yield this FAQ

viewtopic.php?t=9929

I tis really quite simple if you just search the FAQs

Richard Hull

Return to “New User Chat Area”