OSU demo fusor success - application for plasma club

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Logan Holler

OSU demo fusor success - application for plasma club

Post by Logan Holler »

Hello all! To start, a thank you from Phia and I for the help with our system in our last post in fixing our issue. Since then we have been lucky enough to produce plasma at the center of our grid since then. For the application I figure I should mention our advisor to the problem is Dr. Brian Woods.

For our systems we are using an AIDA camera for remote viewing and recording, a Pfeiffer HiCUBE 80 ECO turbo pump with matching PKR-360 Pirani/Cold Cathode gauge, a FRANCE step-up transformer with 15 kV output which we are only half wave rectifying our negative output of, and a Variac VVR to control the transformer. We were able to get to 1E-6 torr after a bake out. I do realize now that I am uploading that our diodes are not visible, but they are attached to the white insulted wire in the third image.

Below are some images of our set up and our plasma that we generated:
PXL_20230210_182728077.jpg
PXL_20230210_182551085.jpg
PXL_20230210_182530241.jpg
PXL_20230210_182518927.jpg

1.3kV1.9E-2DemoSuccess (1).png
This first plasma was our first generation last Wednesday. This was at 1.3 kV at about 17 microns

Plasma1.png
This is from todays test, the first image is 2.5 kV at about 11 microns

Plasma2.png
Our second from today, 4.8 kV at about 7 microns
Richard Hull

Re: OSU demo fusor success - application for plasma club

Post by Richard Hull »

Very nice setup. Lots of very high end professional vacuum stuff there. This should be an easy trip to fusion with that system. Keep us informed on your progress.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Nice work getting to plasma!

One suggestion going forward is to watch out for arc over between your high voltage feedthrough and your vacuum off take. When you get two fusion relevant voltages you could see some issue there because they look close to me.

Good luck with your efforts.

Jim K
Emma Black

Post by Emma Black »

Very cool. You could potentially swap the viewport and HV feedthrough around. So on one end have the viewport and the vacuum port, then on the over the feedthrough on its own. This would centre the grid as well as avoid issues the close proximity of the vacuum line.

Return to “Images du Jour”