Would this transformer be suitable for demo fusor system?

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Julian Stanek

Would this transformer be suitable for demo fusor system?

Post by Julian Stanek »

Hello this is a question about modern oil burner ignition transformer, I heard that newer modern transformers may be suitable for demo fusor, but the classic ones are a lot better. Sadly there is no way for me to get a old nst or obit without overpaying for shipping fees so I looked up for some modern obi transformers. I found this one that supposedly can output 15kv and 40ma, i know that the output will be like 1/3 of it and that if its center tapped will split it to *7,500v*, but i am more thoughtful about if it has gfci becuase i couldnt find anything about it, and also if it could be converted to hot negative dc. The transformer has earthed center, it says on its plate. I am not sure if it means it has center tap or not becuase in some output data sheet it says the otput is insulated and in other transformers it says the're ground center or ground pole.
The pictures:
And the datasheet, the model is COFI-TRK-2-40-SHK on 4 page.
https://www.cofi-ignition.com/wp-conten ... 14_eng.pdf

If anyone has time and wants to help me out, I will be very thankfull for your help.
Alex Aitken

Re: Would this transformer be suitable for demo fusor system?

Post by Alex Aitken »

Low duty cycle. Even for a demo system it's probably worth sourcing a transformer that is a bit more robust and you can run non stop.

Return to “New User Chat Area”