MHD Centripetal Melter

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
sergio moragrega

MHD Centripetal Melter

Post by sergio moragrega »

Hello everyone!! I don't know where to start, I hope this hard translation is understandable, I've had an idea going around my head for years and I would like to be able to share it with you in this forum to study its feasibility, it basically consists of accelerating a deuterium gas taken to the state of plasma through MHD using a multistage plasma cannon, the plasma accelerated to tens of miles per second would compress towards the center in rotation, the idea is to achieve a CONSTRICTION effect of the plasma on itself thanks to the kinetic energy accumulated through the cannon MHD, this constriction would be more pronounced the more towards the center the plasma is, in the end the rotating plasma would have to come out perpendicular to the constriction plane, I have devised this fusion methodology observing the quasars.

My concept of centripetal fuser works through a very large initial energy discharge in an extremely short time, this energy will be provided by banks of electrical capacitors, the purpose of which is to provide the plasma with such a large kinetic energy that when it is driven into the chamber of centripetation an orderly implosion is created. The purpose of a rotating plasma is that the density of nuclei can be significantly increased by having an order generated by the centripetal rotation as well as the time they remain together in a constriction process.

Regardless of whether or not there are fusion reactions, the plasma highly heated by compression and highly densified is projected perpendicular to the centripetal plane.

By means of an MHD generator that operates inversely to the MHD cannon, hypothetical energy surpluses can be collected, the slowed down and much colder plasma would start the cycle again, in such a way that an infinite cycle of centripetation - fusion - expansion is created.
First you have to understand nature and then imitate it.
sergio moragrega

Re: MHD Centripetal Melter

I am currently validating my ideas through very elementary and inexpensive assemblies through empirical experimentation, these toys are not valid for creating the necessary fusion conditions, they are only valid to demonstrate that the physical and electronic parts work as I have thought.

from left to right, analogue multimeter, portable DC/AC voltage generator, contactor to close the RLC oscillating circuit, non-electrolytic 85uF 400v capacitor, 10-turn primary and 100-meter 1.5mm wire secondary, ferrite core transformer , 450V 4400uf electrolytic capacitor, 5 amp diode, 200w limiting bulb, 85uf 400V non-electrolytic capacitor

here it can be seen how the armors are slightly closer at the beginning and then widen, well they are closer to facilitate the ignition arc prior to the discharge of the electrolytic.

Health!!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

You are proposing and doing a lot more than most who post their theories in this forum and that impresses all who read such posts. The study of intense discharges is a world all to itself.

When I was doing this for a scientific paper that got published in 2000 in the Journal of Plasma Physics, naturally as with all scientific papers, you had to have specific data. I was forced to buy, at that time, a $2500 digital storage Oscilloscope and a $1000 Pearson 1000:1 custom high frequency current transformer! I learned a lot by the hands-on work that was required of me.

As to your theory, I await its implementation in hardware and doing proved, detected fusion via proper instrumentation.

Keep up the effort.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Patrick Lindecker

Post by Patrick Lindecker »

Hello Sergio,

Nice to propose an idea. But I'm not sure to understand how you make constrict the plasma.

Let' suppose an industrial project to be clear. You heat a deuterium gaz to several thousand of degrees to obtain a neutral "weak" plasma (i.e. only a small part of the gaz has been ionised in e-/D+due to the relatively weak temperature). You accelerate this plasma in a tuyere to get a high speed, let's say 1 km/s (as in a MHD generator). Now you want to make constrict this plasma. How do you realize this focalisation? (with electrostatic plasma lenses?).

Patrick Lindecker
sergio moragrega

Hello!!... I show you an elementary sketch of the idea that I intend to carry out, using the MHD cannon, starting from deuterium in the gas state, it ionizes, taking it to the plasma state and it accelerates thanks to the fact that the electrical currents of the plasma are Cut perpendicularly by the magnetic field of the magnet and perpendicular to both arise the Lorentz forces that together with the deflagration of the hot plasma will advance towards the centripetal, having gained a lot of kinetic energy which is used to implode the plasma in a controlled manner.
sergio moragrega

At the exit of the centrifugal plasma vortex, an MHD generator will be placed through which the plasma decelerates and cools to start the cycle again.

I will carry out the first shots in a pure helium atmosphere and I will write down the energy outputs for each shot and according to different firing criteria, then I will add heavy hydrogen and repeat in equal conditions to check if there are energy increases at the expense of me introducing small volumes of heavy hydrogen in this indirect way could know if there are fusion reactions

--------------------EDIT-----------------

ohhh what a joy!...I can edit now, thank you very much
Patrick Lindecker

Sergio,

OK your diagram and for the way to ionize and to accelerate the plasma. Now about your "centripetator", I suppose that a vertical magnetic field is necessary to make turn the charges. Do you confirm?
The plasma will be somewhat confined in the torus so the ions density will increase up to a certain value function of the confinement quality (a priori low with a sole magnetic field).

Now, let's suppose that the plasma speed be equal to 100 km/s. The energy per ion will be equal to about 100 eV. The problem is that the fusion cross section at 100 eV is extremely weak for D/D ( or D/T). Consequently, the probability to fuse is not nil but extremely low (much lower than for a Fusor).

Patrick Lindecker
sergio moragrega

Patrick Lindecker wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:35 pm Sergio,

OK your diagram and for the way to ionize and to accelerate the plasma. Now about your "centripetator", I suppose that a vertical magnetic field is necessary to make turn the charges. Do you confirm?
The plasma will be somewhat confined in the torus so the ions density will increase up to a certain value function of the confinement quality (a priori low with a sole magnetic field).

Now, let's suppose that the plasma speed be equal to 100 km/s. The energy per ion will be equal to about 100 eV. The problem is that the fusion cross section at 100 eV is extremely weak for D/D ( or D/T). Consequently, the probability to fuse is not nil but extremely low (much lower than for a Fusor).

Patrick Lindecker

I am very happy because I have found an appropriate forum to present my arguments, since there are highly educated people here with vast knowledge of nuclear fusion.

In my centripetation system there is no need for a vertical magnetic field to rotate the plasma, the plasma enters possessing enormous kinetic energy, the plasma will tend to continue forward once it is shot out of the cannon, but like the inner wall of the centripetator is curved then the plasma will tend to bend by force in the direction of advance until it curves on itself once it reaches the muzzle where plasma continues to come out, therefore the plasma is subjected to the centripetal force of the cannon but is also subjected to to the centrifugal effect, which in this case is less than the centripetal force, these two forces in opposition must make the plasma tighten on itself more and more as it gets closer to the center.

Patrick Lindecker I cannot deny that a plasma welding arc can generate temperatures that reach 10,000 to 20,000 degrees Kelvin, which is equivalent to an energy of 100 to 200 electron volts, which is several orders below the imperative needs. when creating fusion reactions.

To increase the Kelvin in a plasma, there are several strategies that can be implemented, including:

Increasing Electrical Current: Increasing the electrical current flowing through the plasma can increase its temperature.

Increase the pressure: Increasing the pressure in the plasma can help increase its temperature.

Improve Plasma Confinement: Better plasma confinement can help increase its temperature by preventing heat dissipation.

Optimizing Plasma Composition: By optimizing plasma composition, its temperature can be increased by improving its ability to retain heat.

In the device that I have first devised there is an auxiliary ignition system which creates a first deflagration of low speed plasma, I have attached some images of the system above, the plasma created with this auxiliary system has very little energy as it has a large inductance in series with the electrolytic capacitor, it is only the first stage where a pressurized deuterium gas is converted into a slightly accelerated plasma state.

The consecutive stages are modular plasma accelerators in series.

Each stage consists of 2 parallel neodymium magnets, ceramic spacers and parallel flat electrodes and a non-electrolytic capacitor of 4Kv 2 uf.

The first accelerating stage is automatically activated by passing the plasma created in the previous ignition circuit.

the plasma is accelerated on the one hand thanks to the energy absorbed by the discharge of the capacitor which increases its temperature and volume in an extremely short time and on the other hand the Lorentz forces applied to the charge carriers through the product crossing of the electric current with the magnetic field of the permanent magnets.

The acceleration stages consist of 4kV 2uF capacitors with a very small inductive impedance and a very small series resistance. These acceleration stages are activated sequentially thanks to the plasma that runs inside them.

The plasma has negative resistance, each discharge of the capacitor tens of thousands of amperes significantly increases the temperature and energy accumulated by the ions in addition to the speed.

What I want is that a plasma jet with great density, speed and temperature enters the hollow centripetal chamber.

The centripetation chamber must be made of alumina ceramic reinforced with stainless steel, the purpose of this chamber is to create a whirlpool of plasma that twists towards the center and compresses towards the center.

The energy of the ions must grow exponentially towards the center, since all the kinetic energy contributed by the consecutive discharge of the capacitors is compressed into an extremely small volume in the center surrounded by plasma that gets colder and colder the further away it is. in the center is the plasma.

The angular velocity of the plasma must be so high in the vicinity of the center that by means of the centrifugal effect the ions must be grouped together in a layer of the plasma, the electrons being of much less weight occupying a layer closer to the center, the constriction effect it must be able to overcome the electrostatic repulsive forces of the nuclei.

The only way out of the extremely overheated plasma would be perpendicular to the centripetal vortex and that is where we place an MHD generator.

I appreciate your attention and all the comments, thank you very much.
Patrick Lindecker

Hello Sergio,

Well received all your pieces of information. Here are several remarks (in the limit of my not vast knowledge of fusion as I worked on fission ☺):

*about the way that you can increase the plasma temperature, Your way to do it is surely very efficient but I read on Internet that 20,000 °K (about 2 eV) seems an industrial limit...very far away from a fusion plasma.
As you must know, carrying a plasma to 15000 eV (minimum for a D/T tokamak or a Stellarator) is very complex and needs several different ways. Note that I suppose that you target a D/T reactor as it is impossible for a D/D reactor to simply gives more energy than it receives.

* as about the centripetation of your plasma, I have a doubt. Let's suppose that your plasma is at 20000 °K. So the ionisation is at 96.8 %. It is not really a gaz. I'm not sure that this plasma behaves as a gaz according to "fluid mechanism" and follows the curve. A totally ionized plasma would be probably rapidly lost on walls if not guided by the lines of force of a magnetic field.
Moreover, I don't understand why the centripete and centrifuge forces are not in equilibrium. To tighten the plasma you would need some radial force (electrostatic lens for example).

* Let's suppose that you target a high density of ions in the center of the centrifuge equipment, and that a lot of fusions occur which will extremely elevate the energy (i.e. temperature) of the plasma. Consequently, an energetic flow will takes place and will be carried toward a MHD generator to produce electricty with a very high efficiency close to 1 due to the supposed very very high temperature (let's suppose that a MHD technology able to work with fluid at very high temperature exists).

Note that this idea of MHD generator is nice. I did not read something about this way to make electricity for a possible fusion reactor. Perhaps it can give idea to someone...

Now, it seems difficult to produce sufficiently fusions due to the necessary minimum energy of the plasma and also because it is necessary that the pressure of neutrals be very very low (neutrals easily absorb energy via collisions and charge exchanges).
Moreover fusions produce high energy neutrons. It would be necessary, to heat the plasma, that these neutrons leave their energy inside the plasma and not in the beryllium/lithium blanket. And it is not trivial...

Patrick
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The only way to prove fusion with a putt-putt boat fusion system, like Sergio's, is by the use of a bubble dosimeter or neutron activation. Electronic detection is a bridge too far for the amateur. The RF in kilo and megajoule peak pulses wreak havoc with sensitive front-ends in neutron detectors.

In the end, Sergio will never convince anyone of his system working until it does. We and others are hyper critical when it comes to proving fusion. We hold ourselves to the highest standards in such measurement and are very familiar with false reports of fusion neutrons being detected.

Bottom line....No proof of neutrons, means no D-D fusion is taking place.

I doubt Sergio will be able to obtain tritium without a license. D-D is what he has and he will never do over unity even with tritium. But we will wait and see if any real proof comes to the fore in his effort.

We know fusion is very easy to do. We do it all the time. We prove it electronically due to the continuous operation of the reactor vessel. (no putt-putt action going on) We also prove it via activation of metals by the neutrons created during D-D fusion streaming out of our fusors.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
sergio moragrega

Richard Hull wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:49 pm

D-D is what he has and he will never do over unity even with tritium.

Thanks for the explanations, they seem very coherent to me. Can you explain to me why a D-D reaction will never produce more energy than unity? I don't understand this statement
sergio moragrega

Now it's time to face reality.

I know that my bet starts with many questions and that it is most likely that I will not get fusion reactions.

As my colleague has rightly said, empirical experimentation is the only one that can yield results.

With the few resources I have I'm going to try to create a working plasma cannon, that way I'll check if things work the same inside my head as outside. Once the canyon is built, I will try to see if the plasma behaves like a fluid when trying to make it centripetate by coiling on itself.

I appreciate your answers, they show a very high level of understanding, I am very happy to have found a forum with such scientific rigor.
sergio moragrega

Patrick Lindecker wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:22 pm Hello Sergio,

* as about the centripetation of your plasma, I have a doubt. Let's suppose that your plasma is at 20000 °K. So the ionisation is at 96.8 %. It is not really a gaz. I'm not sure that this plasma behaves as a gaz according to "fluid mechanism" and follows the curve. A totally ionized plasma would be probably rapidly lost on walls if not guided by the lines of force of a magnetic field.
Moreover, I don't understand why the centripete and centrifuge forces are not in equilibrium. To tighten the plasma you would need some radial force (electrostatic lens for example).

Patrick

https://youtube.com/shorts/SeZkdtzgMWg?feature=share

Hello, in the video you can see how the plasma twists in a defined direction, the plastic ball broken by the action of the rotating plasma.

What I am going to tell I have to confirm through experimentation, but I think that a plasma that centripets on itself must generate a difference in electrical potential between its center and its periphery, this difference in potential short-circuits with the plasma coils that they act as coils, and a magnetic field must make its appearance confining the plasma, this is just my assumptions, I have to verify it experimentally, I appreciate your contributions in this regard, thank you.
sergio moragrega

Hi friends!! I am currently taking advantage of the possibilities of Artificial Intelligence to help me carry out my purpose, I have asked him some questions and these are his answers:

Factors that determine the ability to accelerate a plasma by MHD (magnetohydrodynamics) include:

The intensity of the applied magnetic field: the higher the intensity of the magnetic field, the easier it is to accelerate the plasma.

The geometry of the magnetic field: A proper magnetic field configuration can help increase the efficiency of plasma acceleration.

The density of the plasma: a higher density of the plasma may require a stronger magnetic field to accelerate it.

The conductivity of the plasma: A plasma with a high electrical conductivity will accelerate more easily than one with a low conductivity.

The temperature of the plasma: a hot plasma is more difficult to accelerate than a cold one, a hot plasma is more difficult to accelerate due to its high resistance to electromagnetic fields due to its high temperature and conductivity.

The stability of the plasma: the plasma must be stable to avoid the loss of particles and maintain the acceleration.

I'm looking into all things plasma focused MHD.

I have been finding out that under very strict conditions and with many means at hand a plasma can be accelerated by MHD to the incredible speed of 1,000,000 m/s using capacitor discharges.

I have asked the AI what would be the energy in MeV of a hydrogen ion accelerated at that speed and it gives me these results:

The energy acquired by a hydrogen ion when accelerated at 1000 km/s can be calculated using the kinetic energy formula:

E = 0.5 * m * v^2

where m is the mass of the ion and v is its speed. In this case, v = 1000 km/s = 1000,000 m/s.

The mass of a hydrogen ion is approximately 1.67 × 10^-27 kg.

Substituting these values into the above formula, we get:

E = 0.5 * (1.67 × 10^-27 kg) * (1000,000 m/s)^2
E = 8.35 × 10^-17 J

To convert from joules to electronvolts, we use the formula:

1 eV = 1.602176634 × 10^-19 J

Then,

E = 8.35 × 10^-17 J / 1.602176634 × 10^-19 J/eV
E = 5.19 × 10^7 eV

Therefore, a hydrogen ion can acquire an energy of approximately 5.19 × 10^7 eV when accelerated at 1000 km/s or what is the same 5.19 MeV

Therefore, I do not see it as unreasonable that with the appropriate means at hand a plasma can be endowed with such energy that by centripetating it the basic conditions are given to develop fusion reactions within it.

Thanks!!
Patrick Lindecker

Sergio,

Several corrections (with the mass of D+: 3.348 × 10^-27):

E = 0.5 * (3.348 × 10^-27 kg) * (1000,000 m/s)^2
E = 1.674 × 10^-15 J

Then,

E = 1.674 × 10^-15 J / 1.602176634 × 10^-19 J/eV
E = 10448 eV

Let us informed of your interesting project.

Patrick
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Sergio, You are talking mathematics of an ideal situation for a single hydrogen/deuterium atom. Yes, Patrick has corrected the math to mere nothingness related to fusion. The perfection in mathematics never happens in experiment or the real world when trillions of atoms are amassed per cubic centimeter. You might as well try to herd cats! As you are in experiment, as claimed, you will find out soon enough that mathematics is very precise, but the world and natural physics associated with the finest theory will forever foul any effort to gain 100% idealized situations for a myriad of reasons.

The finest scientists, using the best materials and billions of the money working actively for the last 70 years have been consistent in their efforts.
These efforts have brought forth utter failure in producing power-ready, controlled, nuclear fusion.

As you spend money in this effort, you will come to understand that doing nuclear fusion is easy, as we say. However, doing fusion in a continuous manner in which it produces, uninterrupted fusion producing far more energy in fusion than is supplied to accomplish and maintain it is just not possible at your level of experiment. So far, it is not possible at the 20 billion USD level!

By all means, continue with your experiments and report on your results. We, who have studied the physics of fusion, are not hopeful or your producing fusion of any significance.

Richard Hull
sergio moragrega

Patrick Lindecker wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:54 am Sergio,

Several corrections (with the mass of D+: 3.348 × 10^-27):

E = 0.5 * (3.348 × 10^-27 kg) * (1000,000 m/s)^2
E = 1.674 × 10^-15 J

Then,

E = 1.674 × 10^-15 J / 1.602176634 × 10^-19 J/eV
E = 10448 eV

Let us informed of your interesting project.

Patrick
Patricio very kind for your correction, I am delighted with you, sincerely Thank you again
sergio moragrega

Casco Ricardo It is an honor for me to read your comments about it, I appreciate the sincerity and the harsh truth.

However, I think this idea of mine is something new, it is a new way to try to achieve usable fusion reactions.

Has anyone ever invested a single penny in an idea like mine? I think I am the first at an amateur level to propose such a disruptive idea.

Providing enormous kinetic energy through MHD and creating a final centripetation, I think it is possible to compress the plasma by bringing the nuclei closer to overcome the electrostatic barriers.

You have stated the fact that after investing thousands of millions of dollars the lock has still not been opened, I am not going to try to open the lock with the same key, I am going to create another new key.

I am going to fight to develop my idea, I share the experiment with you and I appreciate all the comments about it.

Much Health!
Last edited by sergio moragrega on Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Sergio, Please stop using the block quotes. We do not use them here and recommend against them. We are all smart cookies and have all read every bit of the foregoing texts. No need to constantly requote in block text. Just speak your new thoughts related to all of the foregoing text which everyone has already read and understood. Block quotes are just so much useless clutter to those here. Thanks

Richard Hull
sergio moragrega

Forgive me for using "block quotes" I come from other Spanish forums where it is very normal to use this resource, I will try to adapt to this new environment, sincerely thank you.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Nothing to forgive. Admittedly, the vast majority of other forums love and regularly use block quotes. It is just that we do not use them, as we are smart and do indeed read everything everyone writes and can remember what we have read. Thanks again.

Richard Hull
sergio moragrega

Casco Ricardo, I have read your correct impressions regarding not using electronics in the vicinity of the canyon since the RF can interfere with the measurements, I also consider it the same way, as you say the best thing would be a bubble neutron detector:

I have also thought of an indirect way to detect fusion reactions.

The system I have devised to try to recreate the melt has nothing to do with the Farnsworth melter.

If everything works as I have devised, an ejection of extremely hot plasma should come out perpendicular to the plane of centripetation.

This ejected plasma would come out rotating conically and would pass through an MHD generator.

The way I have devised to find out indirectly if there are fusion reactions is by analyzing and comparing the energy that enters the system and the energy that is captured in the MHD generator with various gases aided by a bubble neutron detector.

I understand that all this is just talking for the sake of talking because I have not achieved anything yet but I think it is important to look and think outside the box otherwise we will only get more of the same but nothing new.

These reflections of today will be the prototypes of tomorrow, everything is born from an idea or thought.

Health!
sergio moragrega

image of my laboratory - workshop.

2 electrolytic capacitors of very low inductance and resistance series of 1100V - 1100uf
https://www.electronicon.com/en/product ... itors/pk16

detail of the barium ferrite magnets and the aluminum rail with which I am going to make the plasma cannon, the first tests will be with air at ambient pressure.

I have devised a way to be able to discharge the energy stored in the capacitors consecutively, without electronics.

The technique consists of creating a first plasma gun that has a large inductance as it has a secondary ignition coil inserted in series with a 450V - 6800uf electrolytic capacitor. This first gun accelerates a volume of plasma at low speed as an initiator.

The second plasma cannon is after the first galvanically isolated.

The second plasma gun basically consists of permanent magnets whose magnetic field perpendicularly cuts the plasma current generated by an electrolytic capacitor that delivers 605 joules at full load.

The way that I have devised for this second plasma cannon to be activated is to introduce into it the plasma created by the first auxiliary ignition stage, in this way a massive ionization is induced between electrodes to create a powerful plasma by discharge of the capacitor.

A second twin plasma gun is attached to the first and is also galvanically isolated so that the plasma sequentially triggers the capacitors to discharge, increasing the temperature, pressure, density and kinetic energy of the plasma.

The purpose of the cannons is to dramatically increase the energy of the plasma that will later be centripetated in a reinforced ceramic chamber.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

As regards the bubble dosimeters/neutron detectors.... It is important to remember they are very expensive. Also that after paying much of the money they are a virtual useless door stop and trashcan bound item within 6 months! They have an incredibly short useful life and will, either not function at all in detecting fusion or start to deceive after about 6 months.

Never, ever, order a bubble dosimeter unless you are sure you are doing fusion! If you receive one and it shows you are not doing fusion, you had damned well pick up the pace in your attempt, for the clock is ticking on all that money you spent obtaining the dosimeter.

Richard Hull
sergio moragrega

I have downloaded and read the information in pdf "D-D fusion paper" several times and it seems to me a great job and effort on your part to tell in a coherent and concise way the energy reality regarding Farnsworth melters, now I understand the statement that you commented in my thread that never under any circumstances could you get an output greater than the input unit under the current premises, and you are absolutely right, the concept of the Farnsworth Melter although it can never become profitable is a challenge for any hobbyist and its execution implies very high capacities at the individual level, since one has to know how to function with ease in different technical aspects, there is great learning, effort and great value behind each operational Farnsworth melter.

My personal challenge is to experience another path totally different from yours, in order to achieve a profitable fusion using deuterium nuclei ACCELERATING IN CENTRIPETAL ROTATION, therefore in this new concept there is still the remote possibility of creating a fusion reactor using deuterium at amateur level.

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”