Hello from a Roboticist!

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Audric Paris

Hello from a Roboticist!

Post by Audric Paris »

Hello there, I'm Audric Paris. I'm an American working as a Software Engineer now in London who's dabbled in fusion research for about 4 years now, including in my final year project for Uni. I've done plenty of simulation work, but now want to actually build something and see if my theories hold up.

My research has been around trying to make a fusor that increases the plasma density, and more importantly, reduces the losses from the plasma hitting the grids. To build it like I intend to, it's mostly just a modified Farnsworth-Hirsch Fusor, such that the inner grid voltage can be precisely controlled to form an arbitrary waveform. Then, I can pass a sine wave through the inner grid (High frequency, highly negative DC bias, matching the resonant frequency of the setup), which should cause the ions in the fusor to start to oscillate around the center of the fusor in synch. Then, I'll also be adding a square wave to this signal so that the synchronized ions are repelled from the grid just as they approach the grid wires (the field becomes non-uniform as you approach the wires, so you can repel the ions more from the grid than from the center). Hopefully this will make a fusor with better output power and vastly reduced grid losses.

I plan to be trying to put together the pieces I need for this project in the weeks to come, but there's a lot I'm still figuring out. My Robotics degree has been very useful for letting me code simulations and understand the physics and the fields. That said, generating high-frequency, high-voltage, low-current, adjustable waveforms is a little outside of my skill set, and I'm definitely daunted by the infinite leaks and troubleshooting I hear come with most vacuum builds. I'm looking forwards to hearing from the many experienced people here at Fusor.net!

Richard Hull

Re: Hello from a Roboticist!

Post by Richard Hull »

Very interesting concept. Welcome to the forums. We look forward to your assembling and testing of your ideas.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”