High voltage supply

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Pablo W

High voltage supply

Post by Pablo W »

Hello, sorry for asking so many questions, this is the last one! I realized a neon sign transformer and voltage multiplier isn't the best option, but I need a HV power supply for a non-demonstrative fusor. I'd like to make my own power supply, and I'm thinking about using a ZVS circuit, several people have mentioned they won't help make a power supply (which is fine), but where should I start? Are there better options? What have other people used with success? I was considering a precipitator supply, but my chamber is too large (6" in diameter). As usual, any help is appreciated- thank you!
Richard Hull

Re: High voltage supply

Post by Richard Hull »

This is often the end point for many hopeful people who arrive here. If you can't build your own supply that functions perfectly or buy one that is sufficient, your dream of doing fusion will end at this point.

Read this FAQ carefully.

viewtopic.php?t=3247

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Liam David

Post by Liam David »

One could use a precipitator supply for a 6" fusor; you'd just have to operate at a lower pressure. Since the Paschen curve gets steeper the more you go left, the sensitivity of the current to voltage and pressure changes will be much higher (and also the risk of burning out the supply, as precipitators seem pretty fragile). A ZVS circuit is ok and several people have used them for fusion, it just doesn't give you the same regulation as a full CC/CV supply.
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

In the long run it may be easier for you to obtain or fabricate a smaller chamber so those PSU's can work.

Mark Rowley
Pablo W

Post by Pablo W »

Hey, thank you for the replies!
Liam David wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:01 pm One could use a precipitator supply for a 6" fusor; you'd just have to operate at a lower pressure. Since the Paschen curve gets steeper the more you go left, the sensitivity of the current to voltage and pressure changes will be much higher (and also the risk of burning out the supply, as precipitators seem pretty fragile). A ZVS circuit is ok and several people have used them for fusion, it just doesn't give you the same regulation as a full CC/CV supply.
What pressure would you recommend? I am planning on using a mechanical and oil diffusion pump (or turbo pump, if I can acquire one), and I am expecting on operating at a vacuum of 4-8 microns. If I can get an adequate vacuum I'd like to use a precipitator supply!
Mark Rowley wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:21 pm In the long run it may be easier for you to obtain or fabricate a smaller chamber so those PSU's can work.
I'm planning on making my own chamber with SS hemispheres, I will keep that in mind!
Matt_Gibson

Post by Matt_Gibson »

It’s going to be very difficult building a PSU that can do detectable fusion if this is your first project. You’re looking at a switching supply with high frequency ferrite transformers and voltage multipliers under oil unless you can find a really nice iron core transformer.

It’s all going to come down to money and luck. If you have a lot of money, I’d go get a Glassman or Spellman PSU which will be a lot easier than building something.
Liam David

Post by Liam David »

The pressure is not so much something you set beforehand as the primary mechanism you will use to control the current. The pressure depends heavily on the chamber size and cathode geometry and so I can say little about your operating pressure other than that it's lower than that for a cube fusor or small conflat cross. You should pump to at absolute worst 1e-4 torr (better <<<1e-5, ideally 1e-7 or below) before adding deuterium to the micron range.
William Turner

Post by William Turner »

I think your best bet is to use a Spellman PTV40N or Bertan 2411BN.

They are both -40kV output and are relatively cheap on eBay (just picked one up for under $400). Other fusors have used this style: viewtopic.php?t=4852
Pablo W

Post by Pablo W »

Thank you, I will be planning on buying one of those PSUs!

Return to “New User Chat Area”