Motor driver for agilent TV81M and Pfeiffer TMH 065

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Jaron_Veld

Motor driver for agilent TV81M and Pfeiffer TMH 065

Post by Jaron_Veld »

Hey guy's,

I'm looking for some information about the two turbo pumps in the subject line.
More specifically I want to make a motordriver for either one but I'm unsure what motor type they both are.

In the datasheet for the TCP 015 (Which is used for driving the Pfeiffer) I saw it mentioned somewhere it is for driving a ''turbomolecular pumps with single phase direct current motors (1500 Hz)''.
Now i'm quite familiar with BLDC motors and motor drivers, I actually currently develop an Ebike motorcontroller at work for a BLDC/PMSM motor.
I've however never heard of a 'single phase' motor that is DC but also has a specific frequency (I mean, that implies AC)
So i'm quite confused by the whole thing.

From some more research it seems that most Turbomolecular pumps use AC induction motors.
How do you normally run these? I'm a bit rusty on my induction motor theory.. (Also not even sure if single phase direct current means two phase induction or two phase permanent magnet type..)
Jerry Biehler

Re: Motor driver for agilent TV81M and Pfeiffer TMH 065

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Pfeiffer pumps are actually two phase motors with a center tap. Kind of like a lot of brushless fans. There is a Hall effect sensor for commutation.

Im not sure what the varian is. If you ohm out pins B, C, and D against each other on the motor and they are all about the same it is three phase.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”