LENR - a great Hossenfelder video on this topic

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
Richard Hull

LENR - a great Hossenfelder video on this topic

Post by Richard Hull »

Well, there is a one day old video by Sabine Hossenfelder, who I respect due to her assisting millions in understanding current physics.

She is a questioner and physicist who is not afraid of looking outside the box. She is well read on her topics and looks at cold fusion and has discovered that it is now openly referred to as LENR. Cold fusion since 1990 has been renamed as CANR (chemically assisted nuclear reactions) and now LENR.

I have always said that for my part, and now in Hossenfelder's opinion.... "There is something strange going on that we do not understand here."

Watch this short video and you will be well informed and up to date on this reborn topic that still flies somewhat under the radar. Even if it is like the fusor, with poor energy performance, there maybe new science in fusion in the solid state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbzcYQVrTxQ

Related to the above is the Hossenfelder brilliant video of "fusion confusion" which I have loffed before in these forums. She really looks a Q in the real world sense related to the real hot fusion work. She admits she had just been accepting this work until she dug into the issue. This shows that even physicist outside of fusion power might not have looked with a jaundiced eye at the claims of the "fusion power boys."

check out this video by her as well. You will see why I enjoy her you tube videos so much. You will get the straight and often sad story in truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ4W1g-6JiY

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Emma Black

Re: LENR - a great Hossenfelder video on this topic

Post by Emma Black »

I've also been enjoying Sabine's videos, very well explained and concise.

On the same topic, just finished "Atomic Adventures" by James Mahaffey. The chapter when he was racing to test the Pons and Fleischmann claims, whilst at Georgia Tech was super interesting. The teams initial excitement at apparently detecting neutrons quickly turned to horror when they took a closer look at the 3He setups.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Yes, there were a lot of "dabblers in that 1989 effort. Electrochemists are not great neutron metrology experts. Such efforts, if serious, demand a team of experts in all fields touched by the experiment. Otherwise, you are hobbled from the start by bad technique, making the experiment able to be criticized from many points with any so called results called into question.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Hossenfelder does an excellent job of explaining many things. I have only seen a handful of her videos but they are informative. Her dry humor also is entertaining. Good job!

Now on to LENR:

Those of you who know me, know that I like asymmetry and looking freshly at data with no pre conceived notions of what the answer should be.

One of the big problems in science is looking for the expected result. I encounter this EVERYWHERE! It is frustrating as this type of bias blinds absolutely. Same is the case with LENR.

The name says it is something different than hot fusion. Already it is different. Why should we then expect the same result from low energy fusion as we get from high energy fusion? Because all fusion must be identical. NO! There is no guarantee of that. Different mechanism means the result may be different.

We already know that a there are three known reactions of deuterium-deuterium fusion from hot fusion. The branch is nearly 50% producing He-3 or H-3. There is also a low probability chance that He-4 is produced. There is also a non zero chance that some other reaction may occur in the low energy reactions.

The point is, looking for neutrons may or may not be a good way to judge fusion rates. Looking for protons may not be much better. It could possibly be that He-4 is the favored branch in LENR so no neutrons at all might be produced or it might be something yet unseen. In fact, metrology would have to be developed and verified before any claims of fusion could me made in the lattice environment.

Rates are so low that looking for single atom fusion ash in 10^23 atoms is a nearly impossible task. Noise is a huge factor in such endeavors.

It is never safe to extrapolate from reactions and conditions that are know to be vastly different. Not even nuclear ones. I could elaborate on mechanisms that could cause different results but I will try to stay on topic.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”