Nick's amazing obligatory introduction post!!1!

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Nick Babusis

Nick's amazing obligatory introduction post!!1!

Post by Nick Babusis »

My name is Nick Babusis, and I'm a student at Purdue University studying electric and chemical space propulsion. I do a LOT of hobby projects on a shoestring budget (and post some to Instagram, @the_science_dump). Some of my favorites are:
-balloon launches up to 120k ft (with the eventual goal of launching rockets to the Karman line!)
-home-made lasers and nonlinear optical setups
-K-class rockets and rocket motors
-Tesla coils, discharge tubes, CRTs, and microwave mods
-imaging systems for radio, visible, x-ray, and gamma rays, and alpha particles
-metal casting
-cloud chambers

For school, I am working on a SPT-100 Hall thruster, 500psi hybrid rocket demonstrator, and developing a 2kN solid rocket motor.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Re: Nick's amazing obligatory introduction post!!1!

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

Tell me more about your electric space propulsion.

Is Townsend Brown on your radar?

ttbrown.com

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Nick Babusis

Post by Nick Babusis »

It's pretty neat! I mainly operate a Russian built SPT-100 Hall effect thruster, which gets an Isp of ~1500s. I'm trying to get it to reduce plasma instabilities and experimenting with hot wire neutralizer designs. I have also done a bit of work using a KDC-40 gridden ion source and have done some modeling work for the NASA solar cruiser mission, although I was working on the camera system for that.

I'd never heard of Townsend Brown before but I have messed around with some ionic wind generators. "Plasma channel" has a nice youtube video on a design I'd like to try eventually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrEBoPY ... smaChannel
William Turner

Post by William Turner »

Welcome, Nick.

Perdue is near where I grew up. Great school.

What kind of diagnostics to you have on the Hall effect thruster to determine the level or type of instabilities?

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”