Plasma, and photons of my built demo fusor

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Luca Aldridge

Plasma, and photons of my built demo fusor

Post by Luca Aldridge »

I achieved plasma today, after quite a few weeks of work.
89834991-2163-46D3-B121-30CBF86E4BBE.jpeg
This run was at 5e-3 mbar, at approx. 1.5kV. I left it running for about a minute or so and captured this photo in it.
My grid is 0.4mm Titanium wire attacked via a terminal block inside part to my 30kV feedthrough.

This is my fusor trolley in situ. I tried operating it in daytime but saw nothing so waited till after dark and it worked!
1C950DCD-5DB3-4849-BAE0-0C4CA34878C4.jpeg
Here’s another photo of the setup, more close up and shows vacuum system better.
DB911634-3FA2-4FD5-B61F-A8874E490DFE.jpeg
I’ve designed it so that there is no hole smaller than 0.75” diameter to the chamber for maximum pumping speed. The tiny flex tube attached to the diff pump was merely to save buying a stopper.

Any questions, feel free to ask. Sorry it’s a bit short, I’m quite excited about it and don’t know what else to add.

Edit: Photos, not photons!
Although, it’s not exactly wrong
Luca Aldridge
Richard Hull

Re: Plasma, and photons of my built demo fusor

Post by Richard Hull »

Luca, I have admitted you to the plasma club. Nice work!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Emma Black

Post by Emma Black »

Nice one! it's great to see this coming together. I like the trolly with the slotted angle, that stuff is very handy.
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

Thanks Richard, I appreciate it.
Emma, thank you too! Yes, I wanted slottted angle to maximise “modularness” of the trolley looking forward.
Luca Aldridge
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I have used that right angle, commonly available, steel rail with the holes in it. It is still in place supporting my fusor table and the fusor platform against the gray backdrop. It is very ugly to look at, but very inexpensive, quick of assembly and very functional for those with a lot of bolts and no power drill or who don't like drilling holes in metal with a power hand drill.

I attach and Images of the current table framework taken back in 2004.

Richard Hull
Attachments
IV Table.anno.jpg
IV Table.anno1.jpg
IV Table.anno2.jpg
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

I agree. for a nonpermanent setup it's ideal and is why I used it. Sometimes holes don't line up so you have to drill holes anyway in the metal.
Personally I'm not too bothered about looks, and it means that they whole thing is already grounded.
Luca Aldridge

Return to “Images du Jour”