Electrical feedthrough ID

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Yannick Verbelen

Electrical feedthrough ID

Post by Yannick Verbelen »

Hi all,

I've been donated a 7-pin vacuum feedthrough with conflat flange, see pictures in attachment. Unfortunately, this component doesn't have a part number on it, or any other information that can help to identify it. Which makes the search for a mating connector very difficult.

Does anyone here recognise this type of feedthrough, its manufacturer, or what kind of cable/connector interfaces with it?

Many thanks in advance,

Yannick
Attachments
IMG_4017.JPG
IMG_4016.JPG
IMG_4014.JPG
Cade Neely

Re: Electrical feedthrough ID

Post by Cade Neely »

I assume based on your previous posts that you are planning on using this feedthrough in your fusor efforts. These feedthroughs are usually rated to 12kv MAX from what I have seen. Demo fusors operate up to 15kv which makes this feedthrough perfect for that. However fusion requires at least 20kv with 30kv being recommended. Yes, you could maybe use this feedthrough for fusion voltages but most around here use a dedicated single pin 30kv ceramic feedthrough. A brand new 30kv unit will cost you around $250 but one can be found cheaper if you know where to look. Best of luck on your efforts.
Richard Hull

Re: Electrical feedthrough ID

Post by Richard Hull »

Cade is correct. single HV feed-throughs are the thing for a fusor. these multi-pin conflats are for very complex systems with electronics of electrical gear within the vacuum. With no mating plug these are somewhat useless unless you have the skills to adapt in some fashion to the pins. What you have is just another custom fitting for some special purpose that is now an external connector less orphan.

I supply an image of a bunch of feed-throughs I picked up at one of my HEAS flea markets about 4 years ago. You will note the 10 pin 2.75 conflat NOS in it original case, complete with mating external plug ready to be wired to your custom cable. Stuff like this is in the $600-$1000 range new! Did I need it? Will I ever use it? Why did I buy it?...... for $10 I found it a steal. If you really had an app for my 10 pin wonderment in your vacuum system and I put a $250 price tag on it, you would snap it up in a heart beat as it is complete and ready to rock and roll in your app, saving you hundreds to boot!

Richard Hull
Attachments
Some good single feed-throughs up to ~10kv+ but also a wicked 10 pin conflat with proper, mating, external plug.
Some good single feed-throughs up to ~10kv+ but also a wicked 10 pin conflat with proper, mating, external plug.
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”