Placement of components

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Luca Aldridge

Placement of components

Post by Luca Aldridge »

Hi, I’m making my frame for my fusor and was wondering where the specific components should go.
I already have my diffpump on one side (and the rest of the vacuum system with the chamber on top of it. (This is picture in the image)
Then, the variac depicts where my “control panel” will be, containing my pump switches, gauges and the variac itself.
Lastly, my transformer in the middle of the picture will be my oil box for it, with the transformer in it.
Obviously, I want the control panel to have no danger of electrocuting me by the transformer currently in the centre, arcing to my hand. However I also don’t want it to arc to the chamber. Where should I place it to fulfil both of these criteria? Or where it is at the moment fine. Possibly raised up a bit and then I run my HV cabling through some PVC tubing to prevent it arcing to the chamber?
Thanks in advance,
Luca
Attachments
8AB927D5-9B86-4648-B40D-1D0160E43D22.jpeg
C47D2555-B5AB-4707-8A53-C53ACEBF4382.jpeg
Luca Aldridge
Liam David

Re: Placement of components

Post by Liam David »

Put things where they fit and where it's convenient. Over time, you'll likely go through multiple setups as you learn what works well and what does not.

Your comments about the high voltage concern me. The cable, and its connection to the transformer, should be insulated for the maximum voltage of the transformer. You should be able to (but absolutely never do this) touch the transformer box and the cable while it's at maximum voltage without getting shocked, except perhaps from a little static buildup. This means you won't have to worry about things arcing to the chamber/frame, and more importantly, it means that if you or someone else approaches the transformer/cable while it's energized, which should never happen, the danger is greatly reduced. A PVC conduit for the cable is fine to help with clean routing and as an extra layer of safety, but it should not be used to insulate a sub-par cable. Also, be extra sure that the frame is grounded to a measured good socket ground. I'm being up-front for your own safety; high voltage kills hobbyists every year.
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

Hi Liam,
Yes that’s my plan. I would only use the PVC tube for routing as you said, not for safety.
Before I first power it on I’ll consult these forums, ans also a local electrician for double safety.
I’ve figured out where it all goes, it’ll be up on images du jour shortly.
Luca
Luca Aldridge
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Looking good. The most important thing for a all metal support is that it has a proper ground!
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

I forgot to put this in, I also have a ~1.5m long grounding rod which I’ll use.
Luca Aldridge
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

That is good but also use multiple independent ground points (outlet ground, water pipe ground) as well as a star system. Keep aluminum foil over the diffusion pump when not taking pics. Keeping it clean is essential.
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

Thanks for the advice. I shall take heed and do so tomorrow.
Luca Aldridge

Return to “New User Chat Area”