Potential Transformers

This forum is for specialized infomation important to the construction and safe operation of the high voltage electrical supplies and related circuitry needed for fusor operation.
Emma Black

Re: Potential Transformers

Post by Emma Black »

Glad its not just me that has managed to pop some of them. I also bought a big pack so its no big deal, other than the usual fun of fishing things out of the oil.

Surprised you didn't detect x rays, how thick is the viewport glass? I was only running things at 20kv and the pocket sized GMC300E showed 2k cpm (fixed via electrical tape to the thin viewport).

I will have a quick go with the photography when I get things back up and running, its normal film but I have a small intensifier plate so figure putting both in a dark bag and inside the server rack door for a few minutes may make an interesting image. Friend of mine does xray photography on oil rigs off the coast of Scotland for pipe inspections, climbing off the side via rope access with a caesium source, he is fearless.

But yes the second cleaning helped a ton, I also really torqued down the bolts on the cf fittings and so far seems to be nice and stable in terms of pressure.
Emma Black

Post by Emma Black »

I also would like to add that this forum is an amazing resource with a huge depth of information available. So a massive thanks to all who have taken the time to answer some of my slightly silly questions.
Emma Black

Post by Emma Black »

Bit of an update, the bridge is now repaired and back in operation with extra diodes for safety.

The various controls and gauges have now also been moved into a new unit as things were starting to get a bit messy, voltage is still being read via a HV probe, so thats a job for another day. The grid has now been swapped for a tungsten carbide ring (stalk all smoothed down since the photo) and a new leak valve is nearly ready to be used, awaiting on some fittings and proper testing, but I'm pleased with the progress.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

If it is in good shape you will come to love that leak valve. You will need to mount it hard and fast for best use.

Richard Hull
Attachments
Vacuum leak.anno.jpg
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Emma Black

Post by Emma Black »

Hey Richard, that photo is very useful, on paper these valves look very good.

It seems to work nicely so far for letting small amounts of gas in the control seems very fine, which hopefully means the sapphire is not cracked. I'm only able to test at deeper vacuum ranges at the moment though as my priani gauge seems to have developed a fault, which I need to look at.

The other valve option I potentially have is one of these, with the controller, but lacking the manual and specs its going to take a bit of experimentation to figure out plus the leak valve is likely better anyway.

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Extremely nice mounting hardware (cabinets and equipment interfaces.) A professional setup.

tungsten carbide is an interesting grid replacement.
Emma Black

Post by Emma Black »

My Edwards pirani gauge, started being unable to read lower pressures a couple of weeks ago, despite calibration and cleaning. Today it died completely and the output voltage is fixed no matter the vacuum. So removed the filter and to zero surprise the tiny filament has broken.

As this was a cheap one off ebay and figuring its likely a lost cause I took it apart to see how it was put together and was quite surprised by the simplicity. The filament is a platinum, rhodium mix 90/10, but also looks gold coated, you could probably repair this could you buy the materials.

If your wondering where the rest of the filament is, I was missing platinum from my periodic table display.

Matt_Gibson

Post by Matt_Gibson »

As a fun experiment, you might be able to heat up that wire with a lighter and then hold it over some methanol vapors to create a light via the platinum catalysis of methanol into formaldehyde (I think) which heats up the wire.

The more you know ;-)
Emma Black

Post by Emma Black »

Matt, for pure amusement while on a boring work call - I tried this in a test tube and can report it did not work. I think two issues, wire is too little mass and the (I assume based on colour) gold coating not allowing the platinum to catalyse.
Matt_Gibson

Post by Matt_Gibson »

Oops, I missed where you mentioned it being coated…That’ll spoil the fun. :-(
Emma Black

Post by Emma Black »

Mini update:

My horizon PEM kit arrived and did a great run today with plain hydrogen made from distilled water.
Things are starting to get quite stable, had it running at 39kv-41kv @ 10ma for a good 20 minutes straight today, which I was very pleased with. Im now using some roofing lead to protect myself from the numerous x rays.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Hydrogen based plasma will certainly clean up your chamber.

Return to “High Voltage - Fusor Input Power (& FAQs)”