12 inches by 12 inches lead shield with aluminum layer

Use this forum to offer items for sale.
Joshua Guertler

12 inches by 12 inches lead shield with aluminum layer

Post by Joshua Guertler »

I have a solid lead shield with a height of 12 inches and a width of 12 inches. The square shield has a thickness of 1/8th of an inch. The entire lead shield is covered by a protective removable layer of aluminum.

This can be a perfect shield for any spherical or larger fusor.

I'm very excited to sell the item for any price that works for you. However, I'm hoping to sell it for around the price that I bought it for, which was $109.

If you're interested, please email me at guertlerjoshua@gmail.com
Richard Hull

Re: 12 inches by 12 inches lead shield with aluminum layer

Post by Richard Hull »

Anyone wanting a 1 foot square lead sheet 1/8" thick should consult the top subject in this for sale forum and go to Roto-Metals. They have it for $39.20. For the genteel who wish not to touch the hyper deadly lead. You can cover it with 1/4" plywood or any junk wood laying about.

Use the top forum here for all needs like this and Roto-Metals is a great source.

Buy this sheet and another $110.00 worth of other metals. Sheet zinc, Indium, Gallium, Copper, Tin, Bismuth or Antimony and it all ships for free in the U.S.

https://www.rotometals.com/lead-sheet/s ... lbs-sq-ft/

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.
Rich Feldman

Re: 12 inches by 12 inches lead shield with aluminum layer

Post by Rich Feldman »

I don't want to rain on Joshua's parade, but the price seems steep for inclusion of that aluminum sheet.
Still not an expensive line item in fusor bill of materials, and it probably looks very slick.

Regular lead sheet can be bought over the counter at roofing material suppliers in most metro areas.
Or online -- this supplier's price is lower than the one posted by Richard.
https://www.phillips-safety.com/shop/ra ... thickness/
Same company has radiation shielding glass sheets, at more than 10 times the cost, for deluxe fusors.

As Richard said, handling plain lead is safe if you don't drop it on your foot, and wash hands before eating or smoking.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box

Return to “Items For Sale”