Help with a Ukrainian Geiger Counter (A Shot in the Dark)

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Maxwell_Epstein

Help with a Ukrainian Geiger Counter (A Shot in the Dark)

Post by Maxwell_Epstein »

Hello all,

A few months ago, I saw an eBay listing for a Geiger counter with both alpha/beta tube and gamma tube attachments (for relatively cheap) that looked like something I could end up needing in the future once I upgrade my power supply to 30kV and start creating x-rays. I bookmarked the page to come back to, but the seller was Ukrainian and when it began looking that that could become an issue, I pulled the trigger and bought the system. That could have been a mistake as when the system arrived it became clear that the whole thing was in Ukrainian. I had thought that might be the case, but hoped that the measurements would still be understandable.

However, although I can navigate to the measurement mode, I do not recognize any units. As this post tile says, I am writing this as a sort of shot in the dark that someone might be able to provide some guidance.

The seller provided a video accessible at the link below. In it he demonstrates some features and uses the alpha probe to measure a source. He claims about four minutes into the video that when the gamma probe is attached it will allow measurement in sieverts and roentgen, however when I attached the gamma probe, my options were as follows:

MK3B/ц (I believe the "ц" is the correct Cyrillic character, perhaps this is the Ukrainian way of writing a derived unit?)
MK3B/C (C is the SI symbol for seconds in Russian. According to a table I found CB is sievert and MK is micro, might this possibly be microsievert per second? I know assuming the 3B is actually CB is a stretch)
MKP/C
MKP/ц

I assume that these are some sort of derived units, do they mean anything to anyone?

I unfortunately do not have any sort of test source, would the simplest way to figure this out be to buy a test source and try to measure it with the various settings and seeing what works? I am very aware that this is pretty far from scientific, but is this something that I could possibly make work?

I am kinda stuck right now so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Video:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ueVIlP ... sp=sharing
Russian SI Unit Table: https://www.metricmethods.com/SI_russian.html
Pictures (that I took):
Measurement screen with Beta/Gamma Detector
Measurement screen with Beta/Gamma Detector
Measurement Screen with Alpha Detector
Measurement Screen with Alpha Detector
Alpha Probe
Alpha Probe

Thank you!
Max E.
See my needlessly verbose fusor blog here: https://highschool-fusioneer.medium.com/!
vlad_klanoff

Re: Help with a Ukrainian Geiger Counter (A Shot in the Dark)

Post by vlad_klanoff »

MK3B/ц (I believe the "ц" is the correct Cyrillic character)
No, it's a different letter ('Ч') - microsievert per hour
MK3B/C
- microsievert per second
MKP/C
- micro roentgen per second
MKP/Ч
- micro roentgen per hour
Maxwell_Epstein

Amazing! Thank you so much for your help!

Max E.
See my needlessly verbose fusor blog here: https://highschool-fusioneer.medium.com/!
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

Max,

Sounds like you already got the answer to your basic question.

For this type of stuff, I might suggest you join GeigerCounters one of the groups.io message groups here...
https://groups.io/g/GeigerCounters

There might be members who are aware of your device.

One thought, in your probe picture the orange-ish colored center circle looks to be a pancake style geiger tube. Hard to tell from the picture, there should be a thin fragile membrane closing off the open end (closest to the camera). I think I see a slight reflection from this in your picture so should be ok. If not there, or broken your geiger tube is dead. Be careful not to let anything touch and break it.
Rex Allers
Maxwell_Epstein

Thank you for your suggestion, Rex! I applied to join that group and will certainly consult them with any further questions.

In regards to my picture, that is indeed a pancake tube and it does have an unbroken membrane over it. The tube came with a metal cover that I keep on it at all times when I am not using it. Additionally, I have 3D printed a small protective piece that threads onto the tube (the tube has threads on its outside that cannot be seen in that picture) similarly to how a lens hood attaches to a camera lens so that I can never accidentally bump the tube into anything and break the membrane.

Thank you again for your suggestions, I always appreciate how quickly this forum provides expert advice for even somewhat basic questions.

Max E.
VinokurovG

Post by VinokurovG »

This meter uses "Бета 5" sensor (new analog of "СИ 8б").
Its very nice meter, high beta sensitivity, but unfortunately it detects alpha pretty bad, due to its thick mica window.

Name: МКС 1Е (MKS 1E)
Units used for gamma: мкР/Ч (uR/h)
Units used for alpha and beta: расп/см^2 * с (decay/(cm^2 * sec))

Vinokurov Georgii

Return to “New User Chat Area”