Safety when operating with glass chamber

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Jose_Bras

Safety when operating with glass chamber

Post by Jose_Bras »

Hello,
First of all I would like to say that I am aware of the strong dislike of glass chambers instead of steel chambers, having read some of the FAQs. The problem is, I have little experience in the field of vacuum, and am unable to commit to constructing a steel vacuum chamber with so little knowledge.

Therefore I am building a demo fusor of a similar level to the one presented in the make magazine, albeit with some modifications.

This will lead me to a bell jar design, but I have also read reports of the chamber imploding in a possibly dangerous (or even lethal) way. Therefore I'd like to ask - what would be an adequate material for the chamber? Will a standard Pyrex food container bowl be sufficient?
Jim Kovalchick

Re: Safety when operating with glass chamber

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

My son made a neutron producing fusor with a steel bell jar instead of glass. All his chamber feedthroughs were out his bottom plate except his view port. His steel bell jar was cheaper and safer than a glass one, because his bell was the mixing bowl from a kitchenaid stand mixer. They can be had as a replacement part much cheaper than a good glass bell jar. The kitchenaid bowls have a good size dimple in the base that can be cut out for the view port leaving a smooth surface for a rubber gasket and a square of glass that vacuum holds in place. The bowl even has tabs you can use to attach your ground. Use viton rubber for the base gasket as well.

There, your cost and safety issue is solved.
Attachments
2012120295155538.jpg
2012120295155538.jpg (15.96 KiB) Viewed 1187 times
richnormand

Post by richnormand »

Elegant design... Love it.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Ingenious - really a good approch.
Jose_Bras

Post by Jose_Bras »

Now I feel quite inadequate for not having thought of that sooner.
Thanks for the idea.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

First I've seen and certainly would not have thought of either. That is why this forum is so useful.
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

My son built the steel bell jar fusor about 10 years ago. The plasma pictures were always pretty because of symmetry.
Attachments
525899_109794879157585_464064396_n.jpg

Return to “New User Chat Area”