Greetings from NoVA

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
kmoussavi

Greetings from NoVA

Post by kmoussavi »

Hello everyone, I’m fascinated by what you guys are doing. I’m very new to the world of fusion, I stumbled upon the topic of small home made fusion devices while reading an article about it a few weeks ago.

I would like to create my own fuser, and create one that runs in every home around the world; just like a water heater.

My background is systems integration, I make things work together. I know a bit of physics just to be dangerous, love working with electrical, I’ve been in construction all my life as my parents run their own construction firm. I’m currently running their business and we have always had this question in our minds: “how can we make homes more sustainable?”

Looking forward to learning from all of you.
Dennis P Brown

Re: Greetings from NoVA

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Welcome but do note that there is no such thing as any Earth based system that uses controlled fusion to generate any useful power at all - and likely not for a few more decades at best will there be such a device.

That all said, building a fusor is fun, and the production and measurement of neutrons is its primary purpose. However, fusors are dangerous in that they use potentially lethal voltages and can be an X-ray hazard (though not a neutron danger at all.)

If interested in the challenge of building a real nuclear reactor do try but first read the many FAQ's on various subjects to get a feel for what is involved with building these devices.
kmoussavi

Post by kmoussavi »

Thanks Dennis, yes of course, looking forward to building a reactor and thanks for the notes of caution.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The fusor is about a billion to one net loss device. Put in about 400 watts and get out about 3 millionths of one watt is real fusion energy. Not very electrically or technically feasible for an energy machine. 400 watts in.... .000003 watt output in fusion energy and 399.999997 output in waste heat. The average fusor is a small space heater. But it does do fusion. About 2 million fusions per second in the better constructed models.

Reading the PDF file in the FAQ found here will state the case for amateur fusion

viewtopic.php?t=13284

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”