FAQ - Fusor Construction Journey in images from the beginning #5

If you have a question about this topic, the answer is probably in here!
Richard Hull

FAQ - Fusor Construction Journey in images from the beginning #5

Post by Richard Hull »

2004 - 2019 fusor IV

Fusor IV was a much smoother step thanks to all of the previous fusor experience. Still, more and better planning paid off in what would become my landmark fusor in which I would reach and far exceed the million n/s ISO mark. Very little materials transferred over to fusor IV. The big x-ray supply made it over as did the precision pump that has been with me for nearly 20 years. Fusor IV would see the use of the NIM bin system of nuclear instrumentation. I would obtain and use a superlative 3He tube for neutron detection that would far exceed my expectations. I would neutron activate many metals, (a long time goal).

Again, I took my time with the system as fusor III was still operational up until I modified the back wall, adding plywood over the studs to facilitate mounting items far more securely than weak wall board. Overall, from the first work on fusor IV until it was operational, a full year would pass. I did not have the huge investment in machines and materials that I saw in fusor III. I was now more skilled in using those tools after 4 years. The only major expense was three very nice rebuilt 2.75 conflat valves in the fore line isolation system. I also bought real conflat rings for the hemispheres saving a lot of useless machine work that was so tedious with fusor III. The total spent on fusor IV came to under $900...Money well spent.

I cover the construction in 16 images here. I hope that all of this series of FAQs will help to guide the would-be fusioneer in planning their system, should they actually get as far as assembling one.

If you have landed here first (post #5) and wish to go back to the first fusor post in this series of 5 history posts go here....

viewtopic.php?t=13050

Richard Hull
Attachments
FIV const 0.jpg
FIV const 1.jpg
FIV const 2.jpg
FIV const 3.jpg
FIV const 4.jpg
FIV const 5.jpg
FIV const 6.jpg
FIV const 7.jpg
FIV const 8.jpg
FIV const 9.jpg
FIV const 10.jpg
FIV const 11.jpg
FIV const 12.jpg
FIV const 13.jpg
FIV const 14.jpg
FIV const 15.jpg
FIV const 16.jpg
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Re: FAQ - Fusor Construction Journey in images from the beginning #5

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

This stuff is great, Richard,

It shows a new visitor precisely what skill sets go into assembling a fusor. It's also great for the permanent record we're compiling here.

Thanks for taking the time that went into these posts.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I figured, as always, that if a picture is worth a thousand words, that a brace of well ordered, pictures which were merely annotated with a bit of text might suffice over ten thousand words and back up the other fine point textual FAQs and their drawings or illustrations of yesteryear. Thanks for recognizing the effort that went into gathering images from as far back as 1999. I am glad I retained the 3 old win 98, XP, win 7 and win 10 desktops with that ancient data and images spread across them. I also culled through 3 different TCBOR, two hour, VHS report tapes and the two fusor educational video tapes to capture some of the images. Those (67) , 2 hour tapes documented our efforts from 1989 to 2001. The last few tapes had the most images of Fusor I and II. All in all, it was a 4 day effort, during which, a large number of hours were expended.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

I was thinking as I looked through these posts, what a great job with the images. Much of the internet seems to have pictures that are badly lighted or framed, etc. Perhaps only worth a hundred or so words (vs. "a picture is worth a thousand words").

So adding my congrats on the work you put into doing this documentation so well.
Rex Allers
auburnkamstra

Post by auburnkamstra »

After reading through this journey (as someone who is wanting to build a fusor, or parts of one at least) I can say that I have a much better understanding of the scope of the project, how the fusor fits together as a finished project, what pitfalls to avoid, and why certain parts are important. Thank you for sharing this!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Auburn,

Thanks you ever so much. I spent days on this train of posts from my first efforts to the one depicted here. It was done in the hope that folks like you will find this string of postings beginning at....

viewtopic.php?t=13050

and follow the URL'd path from fusor to fusor in an effort to understand the journey and see the advancing effort and assemblages that I went through and that this might help folks not have the long journey I had, but progress rather more directly based on a lot of images and explanations.

It is great to be appreciated.

Richard Hull

Return to “FAQs: Fusor Construction & Operation”