Hey from Canada

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
auburnkamstra

Hey from Canada

Post by auburnkamstra »

My name is Auburn, and I'm new to fusion. I'm 19 years old and work in mental health crisis intervention. I'm passionate about building a fusion reactor by the end of the year, which based on how much I need to learn seems reasonable. I really am needing basic questions answered at this point, as my only previous "DIY" experience is with a gazebo and a PC. So we'll see how this goes! Reading through the threads this seems like a welcoming and warm community that I'm excited to grow in while I build this fusion reactor.

Cheers!

-Auburn
Rex Allers

Re: Hey from Canada

Post by Rex Allers »

Welcome. Here's my generic message for new members.

The first thing you should do is try to develop most of your basic background knowledge by reading lots of the FAQs on this forum. Questions in the New User Chat area are good too but you'll get best reception if you try to do your homework before asking questions. Many new members tend to have the same basic questions. That's what the FAQs are trying to address.

On the main page, the main section "Start Here" has
"Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)"
which can be used to link you to the FAQ subsections. This is mostly a series of short posts with a link to the actual FAQ section on a subject. That works.

I think it is just as easy to go directly to a FAQ section. You can scroll down to the meat of the forum in the big group headed:
"Construction / Technical Do not post simple questions here. Use the New User Chat area"

Then select a subject section there, like:
"Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)"
or
"Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)"

You will see each of these has a FAQ section at the top when you enter.
Open the FAQs to see all of the FAQ posts for that section.

Unfortunately the posts that are contained in each FAQ section are not presented in an order best to begin reading them; just the most recent on top.

BUT -- if you scroll down through a FAQ section you will find posts that have Subjects beginning with numbers (#1, #2, ...). These are the best starting information. Read the #1... topic first, then scroll to find #2, etc.
Do this in all the major sections with (& FAQs) in the title.
Later you can move to reading other FAQs without (#n tags) that sound interesting.

Please don't ask basic questions in the FAQ threads. The goal is to keep the FAQs clean and only add to them if there is additional information that might be worth amending to these references. As you come up, most questions should be posted in New User Chat. The individual technical sections are best for topics that might expand knowledge or about some particular item (maybe a particular supply or pump, for instance).

You also may want to browse through some of the posts in "Images du Jour" for pictures of a broad array of equipment members have used over the years.

You might also try the Search function of the board to find a particular item, but start with the FAQs for the foundational basics.
Rex Allers
auburnkamstra

Re: Hey from Canada

Post by auburnkamstra »

Thank you Rex! I’m planning on reading through the FAQ’s over the course of the week (depending on how much there is).

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”