Couldn't pass this one up - science humor

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Dennis P Brown

Couldn't pass this one up - science humor

Post by Dennis P Brown »

While the joke is all too straightforward, does have a laugh factor
Attachments
geiger_counter.png
geiger_counter.png (34.23 KiB) Viewed 3621 times
Richard Hull

Re: Couldn't pass this one up - science humor

Post by Richard Hull »

Yes there is a laugh factor. Analyzing as a good scientist would, we see a vast plane with hills in the background. We see hard hats. We might assume these are miners or geologists in search of radioactives. The female,( assumptive... or transgender), seems a manager with the clip board seeing to it the male, (assumptive or transgender), has, and is using, its GM counter. Rare to see U hunting or mining in a non-hilly area. A GM counter over open ground is sort of worthless. A good Scintillator might be far more useful and appropriate if U hunting on a vast plane, (saves a lot of bending over and back pain from picking up this and that rock to see if it is radioactive or not). Suggestion to the cartoonist....Put a further stick drawn background mine shaft entrance or a nuclear power station.

After the smile on seeing this nice little cartoon, the analytical mind familiar with the situational need for the GM counter wonders...Why?

The average joe, for whom this cartoon is intended, will not see the incongruity or care. Those familiar with GM use in situational environments might look for the need and further wonder....What?!!....

The analytical mind can come in handy, but can spoil a joke or, in this case, a cartoon. Sorry...

Thanks for the cartoon, the chuckle and chance to wonder why.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

Richard,

It's a pun. The words are sufficient. The cartoon image is superfluous.

Careful, or I may start my dissertation on why the pun is the ultimate, purest form of humor.
Rex Allers
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

It was indeed very "punny". However I derived as much fun from picking the image apart as I did from the pun. The cartoon did not upset me. Quite to the contrary the drawing was part of the amusement.

We, here at HEAS monthly meetings, when discussing things scientific, love hyperbole and running on in humorous extensions during a discussion, one upping each other in endless extensions.

One of our members told of how he made a large dish of warm lasagna, covering it with aluminum foil overnight to be reheated the next day. Upon the next morning he noted that the foil had be been attacked and was now part of a gray layer in with the lasagna. Someone chimed in with, "yeah that electromotive series is a real party killer", I chimed in that he had created lasagna aluminate. Immediately our chair of chemistry at Hampden-Sydney college noted that he might be able to chemically separate the aluminum, but he would have to study the issue a bit more. This was followed by another comment. "Did you even bother to try some of it?" This is part of what goes on in an effort to "undry" the science.

One suggestion was that I might try to introduce a bit of argon into the fusor and use it, during fusion to count the protons by turning the fusor into a form of GM tube. I looked deep in concentration and replied I was worried that I might make argon deuteride in such an energetic environment and would have to consult the CRC handbook on its properties. A chime-in from the assembled said, "I think I have the MSDS document on that particular deuteride at home. I will send it over to you as a PDF."

And so it goes at our meetings.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”