HEAS 2016 Photos and Videos

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

HEAS 2016 Photos and Videos

Post by Frank Sanns »

The 2016 HEAS is well underway. Last night Richard hit a record with his fusor of 1.9 E6 neutrons/second. I predict he will exceed 2 million tonight during his runs. Here is a video of the record.

https://youtu.be/JWzP8mz2iPw Richard's fusor run

https://youtu.be/OpojN0imfb4 Levitation of a magnet over a superconductor.

Pictures:
Attachments
Impromptu cloud chamber above the liquid nitrogen that provides the cryogenic cooling of the superconductor.
Impromptu cloud chamber above the liquid nitrogen that provides the cryogenic cooling of the superconductor.
Close up of CP1 Cell with 2 fuel elements:
Close up of CP1 Cell with 2 fuel elements:
Richard Hull running Fusor at time of record run.
Richard Hull running Fusor at time of record run.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Steven Sesselmann

Re: HEAS 2016 Photos and Videos

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

Nice video..

Well when the HEAS is all over and the dust settles, Richard can let me know what the best run was, so I can update the Q list.

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

******************* NOTE***************************************

Please use this post thread to load all images taken at HEAS that you might enjoy sharing via a reply. You are urged to do so, as I did not have any images of activity in the lab.

I am posting images that I took of the flea market and data from the best runs of fusor IV. I broke 4 successive records for fusor IV in one week and activated silver, Rhodium and Indium to levels never before seen here. The total attendance was 57 people. The weather was great and 106 sodas were consumed as well as a mountain of junk food, (potato chips, cookies, salsa dips, cakes, pizza and other heart clogging delights). Someone brought apples and bananas all remained uneaten and I threw them out. True nerds know the good stuff that sustains.

At dinner on Saturday evening everyone went to their choice of restaurants. Carl Willis and Steve Roys went to a Thai restaurant. Others went for fast food. I was in a group of six who went to Texas Roadhouse. Notably, two in my party chose to select their specific cut and steak under glass and not order from the standard fair menu. Both chose, select 32 ounce steaks!!! One person, to remain un-named, a tall skinny guy, ate his entire 32 ounce steak with two giant stines of beer, a bowl of green beans and a large basket of fries. After we had all eaten, the waitress came around and this same guy asked for another large basket of fries so he could finish his beer. Fabulous!!!................... Me? I have the standard 8 ounce Dallas fillet fires and corn with a root beer. The other 32 ounce guy did have a doggy bag with maybe 6 ounces as take-away. Hungry crowd! Doing fusion makes a guy hungry.

Now for the data on Fusor IV the record two runs un-reported prior to HEAS 2016

14.2 microns 40.2kv, 16ma, 1,791,253 n/s, 643 watts
15.1 microns 42.3kv, 15.8ma, 1,978,080n/s 668 watts Current record 1 October 2016

Trouble.....

during one of the afternoon runs of fusor IV the main circuit breaker blew to the entire lab! It was reset and during a subsequent run it blew again! I feared that as the power was lost to the forepump, that I had flash boiled the diff pump oil throwing into the fusor and mechanical pump. Naturally, I sealed the diff pump off as fast as possible from both the fusor and the foreline.

A little investigation determined that the 90 amp lab breaker in the main house breaker box was defective and getting extremely hot. I figured it was damage long ago via arcing of the 14,000 watt kick back draw from my tesla coil "Nemesis". Immediately, both Frank Sanns and Bill Zinnikus flew into resolute action, as a team! They went to Wal-mart and purchased a new breaker and wired it into the main house breaker box so the lab could return to a powered condition..... Thank you Frank and Bill!..... This allowed me to continue to host and provide for the masses while they worked.

The evening talks, presentations and demos commenced at 6:30Pm after dinner. The presenters included Bill Kolb, Tim Koethe, Carl Willis and Andrew Robinson.

Later in the evening, after the talks and presentations, I timidly brought fusor IV back up online for the first time since disaster struck. It appears that if I did do some flash boiling that all is well in spite of the loss of power! Fusor IV was a little balky at first, but eventually, within one-half hour, settled dwon and here were the best runs post-calamity.

15.1 microns, 41.9kv, 16.3ma, 1,611,860n/s
15.4 microns, 41.4kv, 16.8ma, 1,758,360n/s

Seems like it is OK, but I might just invest the time to break the system down, change the forepump oil, and clean up and change the diff pump oil. We will see.

Special thanks go to Andrew Robinson for his fabulous effort on getting the name tag badges made up for all attendee who signed up to attend.

If you missed HEAS 2016, you missed a great one.

The photos of the flea-market are below. click to enlarge.
Attachments
Sue Gaeta holds original graphite block from CP-1
Sue Gaeta holds original graphite block from CP-1
T.R. Leary with his big setup of sales items.
T.R. Leary with his big setup of sales items.
More sales items on the corner of my yard.
More sales items on the corner of my yard.
Kit, my wife, sits at the table to check in visitors and collect fee among the sellers.
Kit, my wife, sits at the table to check in visitors and collect fee among the sellers.
A broad view of some of the sales areas in the yard.
A broad view of some of the sales areas in the yard.
Just a small part of my own offerings.  I had a lot more in the lab area inside and out.
Just a small part of my own offerings. I had a lot more in the lab area inside and out.
yet more vacuum stuff!
yet more vacuum stuff!
More of Warren's vacuum sales items.
More of Warren's vacuum sales items.
What follows is a tray by tray look at Warren's bounty of vacuum components.
What follows is a tray by tray look at Warren's bounty of vacuum components.
Warren Ellingsen is a vacuum specific seller and, boy, what a display!!!
Warren Ellingsen is a vacuum specific seller and, boy, what a display!!!
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson »

Excellent HEAS year and incredible historical artifact presentations!
IMG_20160929_195457.jpg
IMG_20160929_195515.jpg
IMG_20160929_195954.jpg
IMG_20160929_200117.jpg
IMG_20160929_200130.jpg
IMG_20160930_124856.jpg
IMG_20160930_205740.jpg
IMG_20160930_205806.jpg
IMG_20161001_114855.jpg
IMG_20161001_115145.jpg
IMG_20161001_115155.jpg
IMG_20161001_131033.jpg
IMG_20161001_163759.jpg
IMG_20161002_165915.jpg
IMG_20161002_165933.jpg
IMG_20161002_170135.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20161001_114855.jpg
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks Andrew for your great contributions!!!

ANYONE ELSE GONNA' CONTRIBUTE!!!!
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

I have added the superconductor video and some pictures to my original post.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
David Rosignoli

Post by David Rosignoli »

Looks like it was a great event. I wish I could have made it.
Andrew, what is the metal "sculpture" in your first few photos?
Thanks,
Dave
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

A follow up posting to the event. The other day, I changed the forepump oil for the first time in 11 years! (I checked my records)

Yes, it was very dark but clean, without residue. I replaced the original TKO77 Lesker oil with more of the same from the 5 gallon barrel I bought in 2004. The clean oil has a clear, transparent, light straw, honey color while the old oil was dark brown and rather opaque-ish.

I did not change the Diff pump oil.

I started the forepump for the first time evacuation since 1 October. The foreline slammed down to 5 microns within 2 miniutes and pumped the diff pump chamber and the fusor chamber to 9.4 microns in about 5 more minutes, according to the capacitive gauge. Prior to the oil change, it could not pull down lower than about 18 microns. The diff pump heated up and pulled the fusor sub micron in about 10 minutes.

I admitted the deuterium to a pressure of 9 microns and within minutes was over the 500,000 n/s mark and within 40 minutes broke the mega mark. Bottom line.......All is well with fusor IV following the rather serious power failure issues on the afternoon runs during HEAS. ( For Frank and Bill....I put in a 100 amp replacement dual breaker on October 3.) Not the slightest issue as I ran the fusor to mega levels the other day with all the lights on in the lab, plus, every one of the 3 lathes, the milling machine and power tools turned on I felt the lab's breakers and the new 100amp whole lab breaker and all were at ambient temperature.

I attach some dramatic partial light photos of fusor IV kicking butt. Click each image to enlarge.

Richard Hull
Attachments
Fusor running with neutron oven for activation
Fusor running with neutron oven for activation
Side view of system at about 700,000 n/s (middle of data runs)
Side view of system at about 700,000 n/s (middle of data runs)
Stable enough to allow me to take photos away from the controls (sweet!)
Stable enough to allow me to take photos away from the controls (sweet!)
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

4/15/22 reloaded images from the 2016 HEAS gathering.
Nice video of Frank's catching the super conductor levitation.

Richard Hull

Return to “Images du Jour”