Hello from Wisconsin

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Ben Wallen

Hello from Wisconsin

Post by Ben Wallen »

Hello everyone. I am an undergraduate student at UW - Madison. Recently, I have been fascinated by nuclear fusion. This website is a holy grail of useful information in that regard. I have much to learn before I can attempt to create something magnificent; in the meantime, I hope to learn much from this community.
Richard Hull

Re: Hello from Wisconsin

Post by Richard Hull »

Ben, I guess you might know of the recent tear down and past glorious history of the U of M fusion effort with a fusor that went on for more than 35 years! If you are a junior, you would know of it. If a freshman, no. Their effort at U of M was one of the best, laudable academic fusor efforts in IECF fusion in the U.S. Sorry you missed it. I liked it because it got students directly involved in the hands-on level of its construction, modification and operation. It was a busy department for sure.

I hope you find our effort here in keeping with the fine standards set by the U of M team over the years. We have been here about 23 years now.

Welcome to the forums.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Ben Wallen

Re: Hello from Wisconsin

Post by Ben Wallen »

You guessed correctly - I unfortunately missed out on the effort. I actually transferred to this University in the pursuit of higher quality education, so I was disappointed to discover that I just missed out on something that would've coaligned with my interests so wonderfully! I'm sure I can reach out to some professors and researchers at UW who are still interested in fusion; perhaps they can help me salvage lab equipment on a budget (a feat I find more challenging than fusion)!

Once again, thanks for all the wonderful documentation on this site. I do not have an exceptional background in physics; only a remedial understanding from classes long ago. Yet, I can understand most of the documentation here -- very well written stuff.

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”