Cost of various equipment

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Luca Aldridge

Cost of various equipment

Post by Luca Aldridge »

Hi,
I'm meeting with a surplus supplier of vacuum and high voltage systems.
They offer turbos, rotary vane pumps and diff pumps, as well as high voltage transformers.
I know cost is extremely subjective and based on various things like brand, speed, quality etc however I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get scammed as I'm new to the market.
On that note, if anyone could give an approx price or price range for any of these things, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Luca
Luca Aldridge
Dennis P Brown

Re: Cost of various equipment

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Do searches on ebay for each class and even specific types for a rough cost - use only sites that offer money back for cost comparison. I assume the surplus is money back and/or tested. Average prices can be all over the map. Condition matters as does if tested.

Aside and added: please do not buy equipment that locks you into a fusor unless you can afford all the equipment! Spending big money on a turbo & controller is useless unless you build a fusor or do high vacuum applications. Start small - maybe a good two stage vacuum pump and a decient vacuum gauge that covers at least microns, and torr or microns and down to 10-^6 torr, say.

Do NOT buy a power supply without getting details and asking here first! A fusor power supply MUST deliver at least 200 watts (more is far better) 20 kV AND offer at least negative output voltage! Anything else WILL NEVER work for a fusor. These are extremely dangerous supplies, not to be tested without knowing exactly what you are doing and how to do it safely!
Last edited by Dennis P Brown on Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

Okay thanks
I'm sure I won't be scammed, just have to make sure, one can never be too careful!
Luca
Luca Aldridge
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Surplus "dealer prices" only if the unit is warranted money back to perform as specified.

Mechanical dual action pump that will hit 10 microns or below of 2-5 CFM clean and with new oil. $300+

Small Turbo pump with all needed cables and controller warranted to function to 10e-6 torr $2500 - $3000 ++ Complete but no warranty....Don't buy it.

The above are low figures for a very fine surplus dealer who backs his stuff.

For the very best surplus dealers.........

Duniway prices for refurbished, used and fully warranted pumps......Very reliable U.S. dealer....

Great Welch 1402 5.6 CFM mechanical pump $1700 .......Brand new $3410

Pfeiffer 50l/s turbo, controller and cable $4325.....New similar Agilent Turbo full system $11,000

Many surplus dealer will fall somewhere between the prices at the top and at the bottom

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

Ouch
That low turbo price blows the $2000 minimum fusor build out of the water.
Luca
Luca Aldridge
Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo »

Turbo/Controller/Cable can be sourced on eBay for $600-700
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

That seems more reasonable
Thanks for the help to both of you
Luca
Luca Aldridge
Matt_Gibson

Post by Matt_Gibson »

Some of my more notable components:

I got my Pfieffer turbo with controller for $200. I decided to change the oil cartridge with one I found for $60. Both on eBay.

My Edwards e2m2, used but working great was $300 plus shipping.

PSU- Original was a 40kV 15mA Glassman (on its last leg I later found out) $200. I wasted a lot of time screwing around with this, but it did get me to successful fusion and activation before giving up the ghost.

MKS MFC was $75 used but like new on eBay.

The lesser stuff (frame and hardware) cost me so much more than I care to say :-)

Spend time watching eBay and SNIPE your stuff if it’s an auction!

-Matt
Luca Aldridge

Post by Luca Aldridge »

Thanks Matt for this
It’s useful to have an idea
I will snipe things on eBay!
Luca
Luca Aldridge
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

Luca Aldridge wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:01 pm Ouch
That low turbo price blows the $2000 minimum fusor build out of the water.
Luca
I will guess that most amateur fusors have no turbo vacuum pump.
Be thankful that diffusion pumps in this century mostly use oil instead of mercury as the working fluid. :)

https://fulbright.uark.edu/departments/ ... -pumps.php
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box

Return to “New User Chat Area”