Hold on. The ride is starting up again.

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Hold on. The ride is starting up again.

Post by Frank Sanns »

We are in the process of moving the site. There should be no interruptions because the new site will be operational before the move.

You should see no changes in anything but you may see a brief outage as the DNS migrate us over to our new home.

Fusor.net will be on its own cPanel account and isolated from all else.

Automated routine backups will be part of what will be implemented.

As of now, we have verified, complete backups of the site today. This includes 25,000+ photos and thumbnails. This total was just 9,999 a couple of week ago so with the exception of a few people, there are more pictures now than there were a year ago. Unfortunately, Richard is still down around 700 pictures since the Media Temple days.

More to come.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Re: Hold on. The ride is starting up again.

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

Yeah, it feels like we're rounding some kind of corner from our shakey, ad-hoc origins to something more.... I hesitate to say it... institutional? At least we are building a solid, long-term foundation under this rickety old house that we have to keep moving across town on a digital flatbed. I think this next destination will serve us for a long time to come but... still... 😬

I will take this opportunity to thank again all those who contributed to our fundraiser. We are just shy of the $3,000 I (re)set the goal at, so if anybody wants to toss in a few shekels that will put us over the goal.

As it is, we have enough to meet the immediate needs and shore up our foundations.

Thanks,

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

You may or may not see changes that are being made but things are being cleaned up from past migrations and setups. It is a slow process to clean up many things and get us positioned properly for a secure future (if there is such a thing in this world these days).

Thecoalman continues the setup of the new site on a new host that everybody's donations have made possible. Thank all of you for that. Once we are all moved over, Paul is going to post a report of the categories that funds were/are being used for so everybody can see where their contributions are going.

We are probably still another week from finishing the move and tying up the big loose ends. There will probably be a tweak here and there for a while yet but thanks for all of your patience and hard work to keep the site going.
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Didn't see any post for shekels - found it. Didn't realize it was posted and got buried before I saw it.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

Dennis P Brown wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:50 pm Didn't see any post for shekels - found it. Didn't realize it was posted and got buried before I saw it.
Sorry, Dennis... I configured the post as a 'sticky' but that just means that it sticks to the top of the Annoncements and Admin forum. Once it had been up for a week or so it disappeared off the bottom of the "Active Topics."

The post is here:

viewtopic.php?t=14383

I started out asking for $2,500, got close to that pretty quickly, and raised the goal to $3,000.

I just checked and I see your contribution, so obviously you found it.

Your contribution – and another anonymous contribution put us over the $3,000. That's enough to compensate 'The Coalman' for the Yeoman's work he has done and is doing, cover a year (or two) of new hosting, and fund the creation of a 501c3 to assure the continuation - and expansion - of this endeavor for at least another 20 years (and the 20 years after that, since, according to Richard, fusion is 20 years in the future and always will be...)

It was really gratifying how quickly that fund filled up. Thanks again to everybody.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Paul as you have many irons in the fire day-to-day, You might not realize the true value of the edifice you created. It is a shining light of good amateur science related to fusion that has a very active and curious group of people who see it as a sort of home for serious effort by serious people. The upshot is serious people are willing to keep a serious bastion of such work on what is often a gibberish filled internet. This is why the response was rapid to your request to help keep all of this alive and well into the future. With gas approaching $4.00 here in VA, senseless travel might just be a covid-like sequestration, "stay at home" pastime being on fusor.net and doing fusion.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

3 posts with outdated information were removed.

If you reading this you are now seeing pages from the new server. One thing you may notice is significantly faster pages. Certainly one of the fastest sites you are going to use.

I don't expect any issues with this but if you are having trouble logging in try clicking the "delete cookies" link in the lower right of any page.

Any issues however small please don't hesitate to point them out.

Enjoy!
JoeBallantyne

Post by JoeBallantyne »

Hey Coalman -

Thank you SO MUCH for getting our site back up and running. I certainly appreciate your efforts.

I didn't realize how much I like reading fusor.net, until it was down for days without end... :-)

One thing I have noticed is that the times on posts I make are off by about 8 hours or something. Right now in Redmond WA it is 8:28 PM, and the post time on this post is not going to match. It will be something like 3:28 AM the next day.

Be really nice if the timestamp on a post would be correct. Ideally it would timestamp everything that comes in with GMT and display it when it is read for whatever time zone the reader is in.

Joe.
JoeBallantyne

Post by JoeBallantyne »

Ok, well now maybe not. I suspect the posts are being timestamped with the current time on the server. Maybe now the server is sitting in mountain standard time, because it is now off by only one hour. It is 8:30PM now in Redmond, WA.

Joe.
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

They are timestamped but with Unix timestamp which is UTC, you can adjust the time zone in your control panel. It will even auto switch for DST if that is used in your area.

Eastern Standard Time UTC-5
Central Standard Time UTC-6
Mountain Standard Time UTC-7
Pacific Standard Time UTC-8

The box below that is for local DST or whatever difference there may be in your locality.

If for example you lived in area with EST and DST you'd select UTC-5 in first box and then America/New York in second box.

ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=personal
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Frank,

If you would turn on my editing privileges I’ll get to work on fixing my missing images.

Jon Rosenstiel
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

We are still working on things but you can edit Jon,

If other people have pictures to post let me know and you will have the ability until we figure out the long term arrangements.

Thanks for your patience. There is much more going on than you see.
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Frank,

Missing photos have been restored and editing privilege is no longer required.

Thanks,
JonR
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I know stuff is still in flux, but we need our senior members back and their specific privileges enumerated. Frank knows about this and I am sure will get to it soon.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

I have obliged all that have asked me. Yesterday there was a change so Joe could not edit since yesterday. He should be good now.

As for the previous Senior Members and their full editing and administrating permissions, that will probably not be reenatated for all. There is really no need for complete access to everybody’s posts on the forum with edit , delete, of even Paul and I. Too many accounts and passwords out there that gave a higher level of risk than the forum needed.

The first step is to give a group of Senior Users ate ability to edit their own posts for a couple of months. If they need it longer or need to restore photos of others then that will be arrange on a case by case basis.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The senior uses, I feel, should be able to edit their own posts back to day one! New information new images can really impact an old solid original post!

I enjoy that privilege and have really altered FAQs to be better and, I feel more lucid to the reader. Senior users are some of the most trusted among us, and have a discipline that is hopefully trusted, certainly within their own posts, past, present and future.

Richard Hull
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Richard,

Phpbb that the forum is based on only gives limited flexibility for edits. Read what Scott has already posted privately to us. The choices are more or less all or nothing for a group. Not all access levels are allowed. One group cannot have editing forever for their own posts while another cannot. Breaking out of that scenario requires giving full editing for self as well as all others. While we clearly
Are going to instate that for some, it is not
Going to be implemented for all.

There really is very little reason to change your own post let alone somebody else's beyond a few days. The restoration of the photos was the exception.

The site is not a wiki. It is an archive that evolves. A story is told and it progresses. Changing history is never a good strategy and this site is less because of it. The learning and work evolution is not just showing the finished product. It is the journey , collaboration, and progression of work that we are about.

Even your past edits of the announcement was stripping away events of the past that were important to how we got here. AND your Farnsworth story is now is rather sterile compared to the first month of your original post. Other events of the group are gone. Finally I started to archive the posts at the bottom of the forum to protect them from the delete or edit functions.

I implore all of you not to edit work. Add to it in another post in the thread. This does two things. It allows you and the reader to see the evolution or the error. This is important because no past reader would know that you changed something. It is very frustrating to go to a series of posts and not being able to find the specific information that you are certain that you remember but alas it is either gone or changed. We all need to be attentive to this and let stories stay.
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

I stand with Frank here, and discourage the editing of ancient posts.
There's lots of value in being able to see the path from then to now, even on administrative posts like policies and rules (e.g. neutron club policy in 2015 compared to now).
A new and improved FAQ can go up as version 2.0, without displacing the original,
since phpbb is not intended to be a source code manager like "git".

Kind of like what we say to people whose first post is a neutron claim: It would be better if we could see steps along the way.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

Rich Feldman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:04 pm since phpbb is not intended to be a source code manager like "git".
One of the ways you can deal with this using phpBB is make your original post and then immediately make identical second post. As the version changes you add the new version as new post and edit the first post with new version, use the edit reason as "Updated" and it's timestamped when it was updated. You''ll have complete record of correctly timestamped changes.

As far as the edit permissions it's forum based permission either yes or no. When set to yes the edit time limit comes into play, typically "can edit own posts" is set to yes and the edit time limit is set to 24 hours which will allow for editing typos etc. The issue is the edit time limit is global, you can't set the time to unlimited for one group and 24 hours for another.

Moderator permissions allow for editing any post regardless of time limit but it's any post.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Thanks Rich.

Unless I hear some compelling reason to edit very old posts, I am going to reset the limit of editing to 24 hours.

The exception is right now to restore old photos.

Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Return to “Announcements and Site Administration Topics”