Titanium Cathode

For Short Term Learning Discussions ONLY. This area is for CURSORY questions and connecting with other users ONLY. ALL technical contributions need to be made in the appropriate forums and NOT HERE. All posts are temporary and will be deleted within weeks or months. You should have already search the extensive FAQs in each of the forums before posting here as your question may already be answered.
Matt_Gibson

Titanium Cathode

Post by Matt_Gibson »

Hi everyone,

I have a chance to buy a machined ring cathode made of either SS or titanium. I have tried to look up whether or not titanium has any benefits, but only found some thought that it out-gasses…

Is there a definitive yay or nay to using titanium ring cathodes in a fusor? Or, should I go with SS?

-Matt
Richard Hull

Re: Titanium Cathode

Post by Richard Hull »

Matt,

With 189 posts and a fusor, you need never post in the new user chat area ever again. Unless you like it here.
This kind of question belong in the Construction forum.

Titanium will absorb hydrogen/deuterium and can outgas in a fusor operation, but that is OK as we want a deuterium atmosphere. If it ougases deuterium during operation adjusting the D2 flow rate down should rebalance the pressure. It is all part of operating the system.

I would always go with the higher melting point item as long as the vapor pressure at red orange heat is lower than the 4-20 micron pressure of deuterium running pressure. All elements have a vapor pressure as their temperature goes up towards the melting point.

I will attempt to check this out.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Matt_Gibson

Post by Matt_Gibson »

I figured I’d post it here since I didn’t know how much is already known about the effects that deuterium had on titanium :-)

I’ll startup a topic in the Construction area after I have done a little more experimenting.

-Matt
brett_kvo

Post by brett_kvo »

We just made a new cathode using a titanium surgical rod from ebay, a titanium headset spacer for a bicycle, and some tig welding nozzles. We still haven't attained fusion, but it sure looks pretty. The most difficult aspect of ti is machining it. It will work-harden easily and is quite hard.
cathode2.PNG
cathode.PNG

Return to “New User Chat Area”