Restoring the "attic" and personal images

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Richard Hull

Restoring the "attic" and personal images

Post by Richard Hull »

I have now spent about 7 hours on restoring images in all the FAQs and another 5 hours restoring the massive number of images on just the first page of "Hulls attic" in the P.T. Farnsworth folder. I consider these images as historic in nature and a jewel in understanding the visualization of the ITT effort.
Now, onto the second page.....

Slaving away here for the benefit of all, especially the new arrivals who want to learn and see, as well.... I imagine a lot of folks here have already saved a number of these images from before. If not save 'em because I just will not restore them if they are lost in yet another move.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
thecoalman

Re: Restoring the "attic" and personal images

Post by thecoalman »

Richard Hull wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:01 am If not save 'em because I just will not restore them if they are lost in yet another move.
I can guarantee 100% there will be no lost files during this move. I can also guarantee there will no lost files in the future as long as the procedures I will implement are followed.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The Hull's attic files images are now 100% restored. Note the giberish in the text is some glitch in restoration of the text that did not recognize punctuations like quotation marks, hyphens, possessive case marks, etc. Just read through this crap! I do not want to fix this!

PAUL,
PAUL,

You posted one picture in the Hull's attic, can you replace it???

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

Richard Hull wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:48 am Note the giberish in the text is some glitch in restoration of the text
That's an encoding issue, don't edit anymore posts until I have a chance to look at it.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

Richard Hull wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:48 am
PAUL,

You posted one picture in the Hull's attic, can you replace it???
I will do that today, Richard... do you happen to recall what the image was? I'll try to recall if you don't.

And thank you for all the work you've done on this restoration. It's an invaluable resource, unlike any in the world, really.

Also - as we discussed on Monday, did you put these image files in a single location? Is that folder something you can .zip up and send to me so that I've got a copy?

--P
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I will not edit any text!

The photo is in Richard hull's attic one of your posts. it is just a file named "Sphere". Locate your post with the failed image file.

viewtopic.php?t=13269

In the meantime I have now restored 100% of my personal images in the "'Contributions" forum. The images were scattered over 3 computers!

Richard Hull
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

Richard Hull wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:45 am I will not edit any text!
To clarify don't open the post in edit panel and then save it. This is an encoding issue, I can fix it but I can't do it right now,
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Note: When adding images I have to open the edit and add the new images. Once images are deleted and replaced, I change no text above in the document. I then hit submit and the replaced images are there along with the messed up punctuation in the text above in the body of the message.

I have to enter edit mode to replace the missing images and then hit submit to have them appear. Should I now stop all image replacement! Yes or no.

Richard Hull
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

Yes, please stop for the moment until I can fix it. I'll have time to look at it later this afternoon or evening.

If you encounter any other issues please let me know, I can't fix it if I don't know it's broke.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Note: if fixing the punctuation issue will wipe out my images.... Leave it busted. I have restored over 100 of my images in all the FAQs, the "attic" and the contributions forum over the last week or so.

If fixed let me know when to proceed with the multitude of broken images yet to be addressed.

Richard Hull
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

This should be fixed, briefly you have different kinds of character encodings and somewhere along the line there was incorrect conversion mangling some characters. This would of affected a lot of posts on this site so it's something you can't ignore.

AS far as the images go it will not affect the attachments or any you have added. Since I had to restore the text from previous backup the one possibility is that if the images were placed inline they may be out of sync. In that case you should be able to open the post in edit panel and submit it.

If there is any other issues you notice please don't hesitate to let me know. Carry on.

Return to “Announcements and Site Administration Topics”