Finishing Up

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
thecoalman

Finishing Up

Post by thecoalman »

I've flipped as many rocks as I can. Files were sourced from the server, backups Frank and Andrew had and me working some magic attaching duplicate files from existing phpBB files, the Agora forum and some other sources. I have been able to gather 14055 of the 17549 uniquely named phpBB files referenced in the database. When a file is uploaded it's standalone even if the same file is uploaded numerous times, thus frequently uploaded files can be matched to missing files as long as there is one available. Some of the older posts that had missing files from 2019 will now have files attached.

The bulk of the missing files will be newer ones and the left over missing files from 2019 I had no duplicate match for. The members that are going to be most affected by missing files is anyone with the user ID starting with 5* +. Members with an ID between 4024 and 4999 will also be affected, this also includes anyone 41* +. Not sure if that makes any sense but there is further explanation below. If you are not in this group it doesn't necessarily exclude you. You can determine your user ID by hovering over the username in any topic you posted in, in the following example the user ID is 1234:

Code: Select all

https://fusor.net/board/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1234
When phpBB stores a file it prefixes it with the user ID, while this is not the reason for missing files it will dictate who has lost files. The default server configuration is to list files by name thus this truncated list over FTP was getting cut off at the filename 4025_*. Keep in mind 49 is not followed by 50, it's followed by 499* thus the reason someone with a user ID of 5* is affected more. Your moderator Richard Hull for example has user ID of 58 and had 0 files on the server. I have been able to restore about 500 of the 1000 files he has posted over the years.

There has been questions raised about the file naming system used by phpBB but it has a purpose which I covered in detail here. In a nutshell it's to control access and for security reasons. Tens if not hundreds of popular web applications that allow users to upload files have been exploited over the past two decades, in some cases more than once. phpBB is not among them., there is features built into this system that have stopped exploits before they were even known, some of those exploits involved file naming. In any event whether it was 30K files with .jpg extension or named the way phpBB does the result would of been the same.

If you see any inconsistencies please let me know. specifically if a thumb is displayed is it the correct file? I don't expect this to happen but for the files that were recovered using the file name and file size I have not been able to thoroughly test, one of the big issues is I have no idea if what I'm looking at is what it's supposed to be. <wink>

Thumbs have been recreated for all images where required, if there is a missing thumb that means the source file is missing. There should not be any cases where the thumb is missing but clicking the link brings up a source file. If you encounter any links like this please let me know. For documents and other files that only display a link the only way to check is to click the link. I've added a custom modification to the User Control Panel so it displays thumbs for images so you can more easily identify what if anything is missing, at least as far as the images go. You can access this panel by opening the User Control Panel and click the link for "Manage Attachments" on the left.

I've also created a two custom scripts, the first will allow someone with access to the server to upload normally named files (somefile.jpg) into a directory and to try match them to the missing phpBB named files. The second one will list by member what files are missing. Both of these will aid in restoring the missing files if the members and operators of this forum want to take the time to do it. Files will need to be named the same as what was uploaded, they will also need to be the same filesize. Any edits that were made even if it's simply editing the meta data of image will result in failed match. They can be in multiple directories.

I don't know what the edit permissions are here but if you have edit permissions posts can now be edited to first delete the missing referenced file and upload a fresh copy that is what you want to do. If the files were placed inline be sure to check if they are appearing in correct order. If not just remove the text BBcode and reapply. You may want to take note in which order they were originally uploaded.

I'm not leaving quite yet as I have some lose ends to tie up but before I go just wanted to add it was interesting being here. I have fairly good knowledge of fusion technology compared to the average Joe. Never would I have imagined with the right materials and the knowledge you could build one in your basement. It's fascinating to say the least. I'm glad I took an interest in this because something like the problems you had can kill a forum. I'm usually dealing with gaming forums or some other nonsense, this forum was certainly worth the effort.

-------------edit----------

I didn't think to mention this in the original post but if you have missing files you can zip them and upload somewhere I can download from. They need to be named with original filename used for upload and unedited since the time of upload.

They can be in any directory structure. You don't have to pick though them, they can include what you think may have been uploaded or may not be missing to begin with. Try not to go overboard either, don't zip up a thousand files where 50 of them may have been uploaded here.

It's better for me to do it because the script to attach files is a resource hog and will need to be limited on the server. I can just let it run forever on my local machine but even with any thousand of files it completes in minutes.

If you are interested send me a link to .zip, .gz or whatever archive format you prefer.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Re: Finishing Up

Post by Frank Sanns »

Very grateful for your contributions here Scott.

Perhaps you will catch the bug and build a fusor too! You will be the only coal burner with a fusion reactor too!

I do have some nagging questions about the site though,

1. How is Richard's ID in the danger zone but others that registered before and after him are not?

2. Why do Andrew's backups contain different files from each other and from mine. We both use different protocols to download. He is SSH and I am ftp.

3. How did some of the directory structure and files change 6 months ago? i.e. favicons?

4. How do we get around the restore function timing out before our database is reloaded?
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

Frank Sanns wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:31 am 1. How is Richard's ID in the danger zone but others that registered before and after him are not?
When you sort files by filename and they are numbered they are sorted like this.

12_
12345_
124_
2_
234_
2378_
312_
4025_
58_

The truncated list was cutoff at 4025_, at least what was available in the live folder. It's odd when you are used to seeing numbers sorted numerically but you are not sorting highest to lowest, it's "alphabetical" if that is the correct term.

files that are intended to be viewed in sequential order are normally named something like 00001.jpg, 00002.jpg, etc. These would be sorted correctly. If it wasn't his files missing it would of been someone else, a 10K file limit is a 10K file limit. If you had more users or more files being posted the user ID cutoff would of been lower.
2. Why do Andrew's backups contain different files from each other and from mine.

The only archive I got from him that produced any results was dated 1/4/20, it was the newest one he had. I worked backward from there. Had I worked from oldest to newest some of the others may of produced some results. This is the one and only archive I have seen with more than 10K file in the files folder, it had a little over 13K files. Most of the files have a date of 11/3/19 and the rest are spread out from there until the the date it was created. These files after 11/3/19 are also the only files with corresponding thumbs and it's the only one I have seen above that 4025 threshold but I wasn't keeping an eye out for this either.

The oldest archive he had was dated 2/05/19 and to my surprise there was only 10K files in the files folder. Generally speaking when you are given a file from website with the tar.gz extension the expectation is that was produced on the server using SSH command line, this file limitation should not be present there. How that archive created months before you server move ended up with 10K files in the folder I have no idea. I did not think to investigate the ones in between and have since deleted them from my computer.

3. How did some of the directory structure and files change 6 months ago? i.e. favicons?
I have no idea, I can only tell you what it was when I arrived. For example there was whole bunch of phpBB related files in the root that didn't belong there, including a files folder I dutifully downloaded.
4. How do we get around the restore function timing out before our database is reloaded?
Whenever you see the "white screen of death" it's best to first check the server error log to determine what it is going on. For large imports of .sql files this is usually caused by max_execution_time. This limitation is there if for example a poorly written php script with an infinite loop doesn't run forever. You may be able to increase these limits but you would have to consult the host documentation. Optionally you export/import piecemeal, within phpBB the two largest tables are always the post and search tables, export/import them individually. The rest of them can be done in one batch. There is also script called big dump which will do incremental imports of large files.

https://www.ozerov.de/bigdump/

These are are all band aid approaches. When you are importing or exporting larger databases you should be doing this using SSH command line, you are issuing commands directly to MySQL. Any limits imposed by php are no longer a concern. phpBB itself has command line utility for SSH, for example you can delete and create all new thumbs with it if you decided to change the dimensions.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

I have to wonder if it makes sense to make Richard Hull another account with a low first digit. Then he or I could change the poster's name (account) on such critical posts as the faqs and he would be out of the danger zone at least for those. The display name could remain the same. Only the email would have to change for the registration to work.

I just do not have a high confidence that this issue will never come up again based on the problem with multiple backups from various sources.
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Finn Hammer

Post by Finn Hammer »

My member number is 3608, well below the dreaded 4025, still my account is missing 225 images, out of 330 total uploaded.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

In spite of not being told to update my files, I have already replaced 100% of my missing images in the construction FAQs on the first one and a half pages. (still working it.) Surprisingly, due to the efforts of coalman and Frank a significant number were still there.

I am working the FAQs first in all forums as this is where the newbies will get many questions answered and images are important. I even lost some PDF attachments!!

The worst is in Richard's attic in the Farnsworth specific folder. Not one of the many images is there. A lot of image history blown up. This kills me!

It appears all are hit to some degree with no recourse other than to repair or not repair.

I am sorry, Finn, that you lost so many images. Your work from the beginning is first rate as were your images. I hope that as time permits you might cull through and replace the most significant in your mind as an aid to those who value the ease of "monkey-see-monkey-do" images in their quest to replicate your work closely.

In this effort, verbiage can only get so much across.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Finn Hammer

Post by Finn Hammer »

Coalman is my hero, bravo for making the forum work.

If I can get the appropriate editing priveleges, I will try to restore as much as possible of my own track.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

Frank Sanns wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:04 pm I have to wonder if it makes sense to make Richard Hull another account with a low first digit.
It's not a matter of simply changing the user ID because phpBB tables are interconnected with data, the user ID associated with his account is going to be used for database entries in multiple tables. It's probably going to be the most interconnected, for example one of the columns for the attachments, posts and topics tables is the user ID for who created them. There is goin to be many other tables.

There is merge user extensions but I don't see any recent ones, it's certainly not something you would use on live server with a large account. Any extension like this probably won't change the filename anyway, it would just simply change the user ID in the attachments table. Other than when the file is uploaded and the initial database entry I'm not aware of anything phpBB uses the prefix for. If you went into the filesystem and changed the physical filename entry to "anything" and also updated the database entry for the physical filename to "anything" it would still work.

In any event this is not fix as it would bump the files of other members out. The solution is to use SFTP.

I just do not have a high confidence that this issue will never come up again based on the problem with multiple backups from various sources.
I'm not trying to brag but I have nearly 100K file attachments on my own forum dating back nearly 20 years. They have gone through three host changes where the migration was performed by me. I haven't lost any of them. On my local machine currently reside the files that were posted to my forum less than an hour ago. I also have copies on third external drive with known good copies that are not touched by anything, these are for disaster recovery in case of some kind of crazy event like the one that occurred here.

I can tell you how to do this but first and foremost you need to be able to connect using SFTP. Secondly I can only offer directions for Windows machine. I'm not familiar with the software on a Mac machine.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

I made two SSH keys. One for you Scott and one for me. Exactly the same and put into Filezilla and my other SFTP software. Neither program will connect.

The error "Server refused our key"

Again, how can something so simple be such a PITA?
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

I didn't think to mention this in the original post but if you have missing files you can zip them and upload somewhere I can download from. They need to be named with original filename used for upload and unedited since the time of upload.

They can be in any directory structure. You don't have to pick though them, they can include what you think may have been uploaded or may not be missing to begin with. Try not to go overboard either, don't zip up a thousand file where 50 of them may have been uploaded here.

It's better for me to do it because the script to attach files is a resource hog and will need to be limited on the server. I can just let it run forever on my local machine but even with many thousand of files it completes in minutes.

If you are interested send me a link to .zip, .gz or whatever archive format you prefer. .

Finn Hammer wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:30 pm My member number is 3608, well below the dreaded 4025, still my account is missing 225 images, out of 330 total uploaded.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Actually you are one of the posters I randomly spot checked and noticed you had missing files. I'm guessing the bulk of what have missing is recent ones, have you checked in the User Control panel? As I noted in my original post that cutoff doesn't necessarily exclude you. I may be able to see some other pattern with this once I get done with the script for listing missing files.
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

Frank_Sanns wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:56 pm I made two SSH keys. One for you Scott and one for me. Exactly the same and put into Filezilla and my other SFTP software. Neither program will connect.

The error "Server refused our key"

Again, how can something so simple be such a PITA?
You can delete those keys you made for me. This is something to do with GoDaddy and the keys simply don't work. I'm not even sure if those FTP accounts can be used for SFTP, the documentation from Godaddy is sparse for this. Contact Paul for further information, the other thing is don't repeatedly hammer away at that as you are going to get firewalled, it's a giant PITA to get it lifted.
Andrew Seltzman

Post by Andrew Seltzman »

A big thanks to thecoalman (and others) from me as well, for getting the forum up and running
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Finn Hammer

Post by Finn Hammer »

Coalman,

Yes, I did check for the missing files in the controll panel, that is how I was able to come up with an exact number of missing files.
I joined the forum march 05 2016 and took a break with posting, between feb 03 2018 to oct 03 2019.
The pictures before 2019 are mostly there, but the ones from oct. 03, 2019 are mostly missing, which is a shame, because I documented both a Cube fusor build, a power supply build and a feedthrough build during that period.

I could probably find most of the pictures somewhere, stil a big task to edit them back in.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

Thecoalman,

Your statement:
"I didn't think to mention this in the original post but if you have missing files you can zip them and upload somewhere I can download from. They need to be named with original filename used for upload and unedited since the time of upload."

sounds like really good news.

It had occurred to me that it might be possible to somewhat automate the replacing of missing files but I didn't know how to articulate the database digging that would be needed. I hadn't really through that this could work without even upfront specifying what post they should be associated with.

Nice.
Rex Allers
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

Well Rex, it's not fusion science <nope, joke will get old with me>

The database entry for each file has three entries that could aid in identifying the file including the original file name, filesize and the user ID. I wish it had some hash value in which case I could just match that.

The script I wrote first scans a specified directory(and subs) to get the filenames in it and their filesize. I can then query the database to see if there is any matches. If we get a result check to see if the phpBB named file exists in the phpBB files folder. If not write it to the folder and create thumbs if necessary.

There was a lot of standalone files from various sources including substantial archive of images from the agora forum. This is where I was able to source most of the files from, this probably bumped the total up 1500 to 2000 file over what Frank and Andrew had.

This not a perfect process but the people here would be more qualified than myself to calculate the probability of matching the wrong file. Given the variables and the relatively small amount of files missing(in this context) I'd imagine it's really high. The other issue is if the filename changed or the filesize changed because someone edited it since upload, Cameras as most of you know often use similar named files and I'm sure a lot of members have same named files covering this topic. The filesize by itself is not much better. I didn't want to break things so I didn't try to make matches for those by themselves.

I'm going give this script to Frank so he or anyone else with SFTP/FTP access can upload these files to the server for you and process them.
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

Finished up one script, you can get list of what is missing here:

https://fusor.net/board/recover-files/missing-files.php?userid=XYZ
XYZ needs to be your user ID. At the end of the page it will report how many missing files you have.
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

Finn Hammer wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:12 am I could probably find most of the pictures somewhere, stil a big task to edit them back in.
If you have the time to collect them now you zip what you think may be missing and upload somewhere I can download from. Other wise Frank or someone else with access to the server will be able to do this. I'll be finished with this other script some time tonight and be leaving you to your fusors.

As far as the oddity in your missing files there may be sub sort order in play. I know with MySQL you can sort the sorted results.

SELECT * FROM phpbb_attachments ORDER BY poster_id, filetime
It would first sort by poster_id and then the group of results for each poster_id would be sub ordered by filetime, I don't know if file systems do this but it's one possible explanation.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Since it is essential that I be able to follow up with all that thecoalman is prescribing here, I just purchased a new Windows based laptop so I can run everything to the letter on the site.

First I have to figure out how Windows 11 works. It has changed a ton since I last dabbled with Windows NT.
Finn Hammer

Post by Finn Hammer »

Coalman,

Your script that finds all the missing files was a gem, thank you, it enabled me to locate 133 files on godknows which locations on my PC.
I have zipped them to dropbox, and you should be able to grab them from this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bff99qmbqevrx ... s.zip?dl=0

Thanks a ton. Cant wait to see them lace into the empty slots!

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

The php page, missing file tool is sweet.

I see, in addition to images, it also lists other missing attachments like pdf files.

If replacement can be done automatically on a bunch of files, it should save a ton of editing time for some users with lots of gone files. Running on Richard's ID, just now, saw 743 files.

Great stuff, thecoalman.
Rex Allers
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

Didn't think of this before but I adjusted the script, at the end of the page it will list just the filenames on a new line for easy copy and paste.

Finn I don't have a drop box account. Can that be set to public access? Or is there somewhere else you can upload to? I have never really used any of these services for uploading files but I already have both Google and One drive accounts if an account is required to access someone files.

If not I'll make an exception for this and sign up since you already took the time. I guess I should of been clear, It needs to public access file if anyone else is going to upload files, I don't want to be signing up for services but I'd imagine if an account is required Google or One Drive should work as well.

Frank, do you have drop box account? Perhaps you can downlead it I can run you through this once I upload the script.
Since it is essential that I be able to follow up with all that thecoalman is prescribing here, I just purchased a new Windows based laptop so I can run everything to the letter on the site.
If you had asked I would of suggested you research the FTP program you have now, most have a sync feature even if it's manual. Scheduling it is another thing. With WinSCP you need to create a scheduled task in Windows task scheduler, the paid for WS_FTP I used to use will do everything for you right in it's own GUI. It's not worth the expense for average user, I can't even justify it and in some sense WinSCP is more flexible. In any event I'll post directions later in other topic.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

I have sent you a couple of PMs but will answer here about the Synchronization. Yes I have it on Dreamweaver for websites and on both of my FTP clients. It always makes me nervous to hit it on the fusor site and I am never sure which direction the synchronization will go and don't want it to flow from bad to worse so I have never used it here.

I will try it on a mock folder to be sure it is working the way one thinks it should be working. I am good with Dreamweaver because it specifies the direction. These ftp ones are not so clear but they must be. I have some homework to do on this too I guess.
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

thecoalman,

you recently said,
thecoalman wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:45 pm Didn't think of this before but I adjusted the script, at the end of the page it will list just the filenames on a new line for easy copy and paste.
I tried running the page for Finn's missing files,

https://fusor.net/board/recover-files/missing-files.php?userid=4450
It gives the list of blocks with details for each file, and at the end the total number of missing files. As I said before, great! But the list of just filenames at the end doesn't seem to be there. Did this added feature get added?

I also just looked at one of Finn's posts from 2020 that I was interested in:
A 50kV supply with 33mA drive ability
viewtopic.php?p=89895#p89895

All the images still seem to be missing.
I know there were issues with Dropbox access. I think you also mentioned that the repair script wasn't finalized.
So wondering if this process is still on hold? Did it ever get tried for Finn's missing files?
Also, do we have a name for it? I'd suggest 'bulk missing file repair' or just 'bulk repair'

Thanks for all your great work on the issues, and any update you can give on these two related subjects.
Rex Allers
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

Rex Allers wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:15 pm Did this added feature get added?
I somehow managed to not upload the updated file. It's fixed.
I know there were issues with Dropbox access

I have his images. I'm going to use them when I test the script on server. It's basically same script I have been using to match the other files like the ones from the Agora forum. The difference is I was running it on my local machine with unlimited resources and then uploading the files I matched to the server. I can't do that on production server so I just have to tame it al little to only process X files at time, deletes them etc..

I was on a coronavirus vacation which is the reason I was able to do this, at least it kept me busy. Wasn't sick but I was exposed.
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

Script is done for attaching missing files. You 'll need to zip them up and either send me or Frank a link to download them. They need to be the same filename and file size of the original files uploaded. They can be in any directory structure. You can include files you think may be correct ones.

Return to “Announcements and Site Administration Topics”