Ion pump issue...

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
RobertMendelsohn

Ion pump issue...

Post by RobertMendelsohn »

I have a 20L/s Varian StarCell and a MiniVac controller that refuse to work; I've jumpered 3-7 as the manual says since I have no interlock, and the MiniVac powers on and the HV LED comes on, but no voltage/current indication.

My thought: controller is busted acquire a new one. AFAIK, ion pumps are pretty rugged? And I could see the innards were very clean (supposedly a new one). Let me know if you have better ideas! I'd rather repair this unit than buy a new one...
RobertMendelsohn

Re: Ion pump issue...

Post by RobertMendelsohn »

Additional info: the LEDs that indicate the voltage/current flicker repeatedly, then don't flicker.

A look at the internals reveal no obvious sign of damage.

Possibly an inability to strike an arc?
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Arcing at startup is very common on Ion pumps
i try to get them below 10^-6 millibar before starting a new or one that has been at air for some time
a heafty cook out also helps but know the spec on your magnets before cooking them 250 degrees celsius plus won't hurt if the magnets can handle it
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

On SEMs ion pumps are pretty notorious for not wanting to start up after they have been sitting, especially at air. Like John says, do a bake out, pull the magnets off and get it as low as you can preferably with a turbo or ln2 trapped diff.

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”