User ID and Redundancy and the pseudo Richard Hull Archive

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

User ID and Redundancy and the pseudo Richard Hull Archive

Post by Frank Sanns »

There are other procedures in place to give a higher confidence that this site will continue. It is like any incident or accident, it almost never takes just one thing going wrong for it to happen. It is the culmination of events that are rare and should not really happen. Still, in nature and with humans, bad things can happen. They can be nuclear melt downs from a tsunami or space shuttle disaster because it was cold outside. None of those are the cause of the problem but they were contributing factors to the ultimate disaster. We are recovering from a similar series of events that have brought us here at this time.

While we work on more backend things, I have also tried to think of a way to protect our most prolific contributor to the site; Richard Hull. He and I both have very early (low) ID numbers but his has the misfortune to start with a high first digit. He then is in that danger zone of numbers that keeps getting truncated.

Just duplicating his posts somewhere on the site does not solve the problem because when the ID is affected, ALL posts that have that ID are affected no matter where they are located.

For this reason, I have taken a couple of previously blocked users (spam accounts) and checked their IDs. It have taken one with a medium size and first number so it is in the middle of the range. I have changed all of the credentials of the account to one labeled Richard Hull Archive. This unique ID will be used to post his FAQ in a new section of the site. It will be an exact duplication of the FAQs to start (others will follow) however it will be under this separate account and ID number.

I can copy the topics and then change the poster name. This duplicates the posts but with an entirely different ID that will give another layer of protection (hopefully) that if something affects one account, it will not affect the others.

It is not going to be done overnight as somethings still have to be worked out and need to be thought through. Any input on this process is welcome so I don't forget anything or miss something important.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Richard Hull

Re: User ID and Redundancy and the pseudo Richard Hull Archive

Post by Richard Hull »

Frank,
We talked about this and it is worth trying. I am still up dating the FAQs. The nuclear/Radiation FAQs are the biggest and most affected (4 pages). I am noting some of the older ones still have pictures, that is nice.

As long as when I get a new number in the archives, I can still edit and update all those older posts and images, I am fine with that.
Note: With a new number, can I replace images in my regular old non-FAQ postings? I sometimes correct grammar and structure years later in those.
OR....would I keep my old number for those non-FAQ posts and have a new number under a modified name of "FAQman" or its ilk to work on, edit and create FAQs in the FAQ archives?

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Richard,

You will always have full edit capabilities of everything so that will never be an issue for you.

I have only added my name to the tests so it is traceable and people understand what is going on.

There are a few ways we can proceed but first I have to be sure that the images that appear under the new name change so they are not still in the danger zone. If changing the name of the poster (in the binary files) also changes the ID associated with the photos then it will work. I am still testing that.

If this works, there are a few option including but not limited to:

1. You just maintain the FAQs in the normal section as you are. I will copy them to the archive and change the name/ID of the poster. Right now the user Richard Hull would be another person called Richard Hull Archive, for example. It can be anything you choose.

Since the files appearing in the archive would be separate and no longer connected in any way to your original files, you would have to edit both locations independently. You can do that as the Moderator Extrodinaire, without having to sign in under another account and it would not change the ID of the original poster (you) so the integrity of the second archive remains.

2. It would also be possible to change the person posting to all of your posts. I would require going through all of your nearly 14,000 posts to do so. I do not favor that because it is a ton of work and it would eliminate the redundancy of having duplicity of all of your most important posts.

3. Another option would for the compilation of all of the FAQ into a PDF that could be embedded in the actual site and not be attached to your ID.

There are some more things we can do I am pondering all of this before moving forward.

I also would like to clean up the structure of the way the FAQ are accessible right now. We we first set up the structure here, there were some things we could have done differently but there were just so many things that not all was optimized. I never wanted to take the risk of changing some of these things because of the high value of the FAQs. Once we have our backups in place and an archive of them, then the original forum structure of the FAQs can be improved.
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

All sounds good. Do not mess with my regular postings, obviously as you suggest, as there are 14,000 of them, many with images. Just too bad there.
The FAQs are the key thing here. I do wish to be able in the end be able to manage, edit, and create FAQs in the Archives as well as the normal forum group. Once you have something in place, phone me to explain fully.

Thanks

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

No worries Richard. I will not edit or change ANY of your original posts or FAQ. My proposal is only to make another copy that will exist in another place simultaneously with your originals. No changes.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Frank,

I see a red 1 by your avatar under warnings. What does this signify? I have never noticed this before. Just curious.

Richard Hull
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Thecoalman's humor. That panel was not working so when he restored it, he clicked the flag that tagged me in a warning. lol.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Watch them triggers! when ya' pull 'em, s--- happens. funny!

Richard
thecoalman

Post by thecoalman »

There is setting for this under board settings when it will expire, it can also be removed in MCP and you should be able to remove it in the ACP as well.

Return to “Announcements and Site Administration Topics”