Hi, Amateur scientest

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
John Dobbs

Hi, Amateur scientest

Post by John Dobbs »

John Dobbs, I have always enjoyed doing experiments and learning/reading. Highly interested in Physics/chemistry. I am currently interested in measuring background radiation/Neutron activity and how it is impacted by Space Weather/cosmic radiation.
Richard Hull

Re: Hi, Amateur scientest

Post by Richard Hull »

Welcome, Space weather does affect earth bound radiation, both in the atmosphere and to a far lesser degree, (thank goodness), on the ground. A fun thing to study. However, to do it right and in a significant way, the tools can get pricey. A lot of Balloon borne amateur electronics projects and reports on the data have appeared over the last few years in "Nuts and Volts" magazine. Most of this work is done by Radio amateurs.

https://arhab.org/

The higher the elevation of the measuring station, the more significant the differentials in the space weather radiation levels are. Here, where I live, I am at about 171 feet above sea level. Not too good for vast differentials but I have noted them due to space weather and also as much smaller diurnal differences. This is not the forum to discuss this. Better in the neutron, Radiation detection forum.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”