First Demo build... something isn't quite right.

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Josh Miller

First Demo build... something isn't quite right.

Post by Josh Miller »

Hi everyone! I am new to the fusor community, and have been working on my first demo fusor. I seem to be having a difficult time getting to star mode, and only get plasma encasing 1/2 to 3/4 of the inner cage. I've tried various cage sizes and constructions, and I don't seem to have any vacuum leaks. The vacuum guage I have isn't the most accurate, but I am using a 2-stage rotary vane pump that claims to have enough power to get me where I need to be. My power supply is a NST claiming a 10kv 300ma output. my gut tells me it's probably vacuum related, but I was hoping someone here could give me some insight before buying a bunch of stuff I don't need. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Josh
John Futter

Re: First Demo build... something isn't quite right.

Post by John Futter »

pics of your setup please

otherwise we are talking to a vacuum (excuse the pun)
Josh Miller

Post by Josh Miller »

Yeah, sorry... I tried to upload a few pictures with the post but it kept giving me an error. Hopefully this helps, but let me know if you need something more specific.

https://ibb.co/NTt1ryd
https://ibb.co/fS9pmP7
Liam David

Post by Liam David »

The pressure is far too high, probably on the order of a few torr. Star mode occurs at some couple dozen millitorr. That gauge will tell you next to nothing - you need a thermocouple gauge or the like.
Gunnar Mein

Post by Gunnar Mein »

I really like this gauge, provided that you have the means to fashion a serial cable with a VGA jack on this side and USB on the other: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114332188209?epid=1438064168. You might also be able to find a model with display built in.
Josh Miller

Post by Josh Miller »

Thanks! I had a feeling it was vacuum related, but hadn't been able to get a sensitive enough gauge to confirm. I'll get right on that now.... The vacuum pump I have is 1/2HP 5CFM and claims it is capable of ~2.25mtorr. Right now it's just hooked up with braided vacuum tube and hose clamps. Any thoughts on whether I should try to hard line connect it, or if the pump I have is just not quite powerful enough?
Liam David

Post by Liam David »

Presumably you have a direct-drive HVAC pump (you haven't given us much to go on). In a perfectly sealed, non-outgassing system you might expect 15-50mtorr, but it will never reach the "2.25mtorr" pressure it claims. From what I can see your vacuum hose is pretty long and narrow, which doesn't help. But long ago I used an identical hose and got in the 15mtorr range with an HVAC pump, so you must have a leak or really bad outgassing. Or the pump is bad, but you can't really tell without a better gauge.
Maciek Szymanski

Post by Maciek Szymanski »

For this kind of leak you can easily do without any gauge, just by looking at the plasma. Here you are a very useful illustrated reference:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2795

If you use a flat electrode instead of the grid you can even determine the pressure by the width of the faraday dark space. It was once a standard method for vacuum measurement:

82B3665D-0015-4F58-BD98-DD0CE4B2D969.jpeg
“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”