Fusion amateur, former lurker

Please take a moment to introduce yourself in this forum and tell us about your interest. You must use your full real name. We do not allow the used of "handles" and pseudonyms on this site.
Samuel Chapkovski

Fusion amateur, former lurker

Post by Samuel Chapkovski »

Have been lurking here for a while and learning about fusion.

I'm a math minor (music major) so not exactly the type of background people have here but found the subject interesting.
The more I learn about it the more I understand just how hopeless the idea of doing remotely efficient fusion at home is,
but I am still looking forward to making a fusor once I'm done with this semester :)
Nicolas Krause

Re: Fusion amateur, former lurker

Post by Nicolas Krause »

Hi Sam,

I'm a math minor as well, but my major is slightly different, great to have you hear! What kind of music are you studying and what kind of mathematics are you interested in?
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Welcome and glad you are interest in this forum. Do know that a good first step is to build a demo-fusor. Besides being less costly, simpler to build and safer it allows one to create a plasma and learn essential skills that are needed for a full fusor build. It also gives one critical experience and knowledge. Finally, one can use it to become a member of that 'club', here. A worthy first step.
Samuel Chapkovski

Dennis P Brown wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:43 am Welcome and glad you are interest in this forum. Do know that a good first step is to build a demo-fusor. Besides being less costly, simpler to build and safer it allows one to create a plasma and learn essential skills that are needed for a full fusor build. It also gives one critical experience and knowledge. Finally, one can use it to become a member of that 'club', here. A worthy first step.
That is a great suggestion. There are loads of skills I need (and don't have) to even approach the full-on system
Samuel Chapkovski

Nicolas Krause wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:59 pm Hi Sam,

I'm a math minor as well, but my major is slightly different, great to have you hear! What kind of music are you studying and what kind of mathematics are you interested in?
What's your major? I'm actually a violinist :D (a classical one too).
In terms of interest when it comes to math I'm fluctuating a lot at the moment,
I used to be very interested in topology and I got pretty far in a self-taught way (as I could never get hands on a real course because we have no courses on the topic at my university) but have recently
become way more interested in physics and kind of regret having a math minor because of that
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Samuel, We do not like block quotes here. We are pretty smart cookies here. We can remember all that precedes a response and need not be reminded of material already written. Please avoid using block quotes. Thanks

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

A quick few points; if you are interested in building a first step or demo fusor you need four major items: first and foremost a proper vacuum pump (achieve under 5 microns.) Second, a power supply (under 1 kV is fine, and under 1 ma.) Three, a vessel for creating a plasma (I have used a wine bottle - note, glass does not do well with intense plasmas.) Finally, instrumentation - a vacuum gauge that reads microns; a milliamp meter for power and a voltage meter that can read the voltage (an issue for neon sign transformers (NST) that reach up to 15 kV.)

See the FAQ's on how to assemble such devices. Do not buy any vacuum pump without first checking here to make certain it is worthwhile.
Nicolas Krause

Post by Nicolas Krause »

Topology! Gotta say I like it too, I came to it via non-linear dynamics and Calculus. Manifolds sort of appear as this mysterious thing and I went down the rabbit hole! I'm currently at a point where I'm confused by fibre bundles, so that's lots of fun. My major is Electrical Engineering, sadly I haven't played an instrument since giving up classical guitar a long time ago.
Samuel Chapkovski

I see, Richard. This does raise the whole issue of how to refer to people - is it the done thing here to refer to people by first name by default?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Yes, first names are fine in a response even if referring to post two or three back. Most posted threads are short and may have only 3-4 major posters in reply throughout.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Please Introduce Yourself”