Base level source: Aluminum tubing and forms.

Links to primary sources of hardware and other materials for the amateur scientist for assembly and operation of a fusion system. General useful supplies for the experimenter are also allowed. Make title specific to the URL supplied with any needed information.
Richard Hull

Base level source: Aluminum tubing and forms.

Post by Richard Hull »

http://www.velocityair.cc/Tubing.htm

These folks sell 1.5 inch to 6" and even larger diameter aluminum tubing of any length 1 foot and longer. These can house a home built PMT scintillator or be used in a number of other experimental purposes.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Rex Allers

Re: Base level source: Aluminum tubing and forms.

Post by Rex Allers »

I've been pretty happy with Speedy Metals too.
http://www.speedymetals.com/

They have all manner of metal for fabrication and I find their web site pretty easy to use.

Mostly I've bought aluminum -- rod, tube, angle, square, etc. I've also used them for tool steel drill rod, and round brass for turning.

They often have a number of items on sale.
Rex Allers
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Rex, they seem rather expensive. 1 foot of 2" nylon rod is over $100 shipped. Most places provide this for around $30-40 max. Are they open to negotiation ?

MR
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

I never bought anything but metal from Speedy. Yes that nylon seems very expensive.

I thought their metal prices were ok and liked their wide stock and descriptions. I probably haven't ordered in last couple years, though. Maybe there are cheaper options elsewhere these days.

Ebay has been a good source of materials for me too. I just looked and there is a listing for that 2" nylon for $26 with shipping.
Rex Allers
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

We must never forget suppliers on e-bay. If you feel anything is overpriced from any recommended supplier, check e-bay.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Primary Sources for Fusor Related Items”