Ridiculous premise - radiation present - The sky is falling!!

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Richard Hull

Ridiculous premise - radiation present - The sky is falling!!

Post by Richard Hull »

This is the result of a great hype video regarding the world famous, and now highly collectible, at $5000, the Gilbert Atomic Energy Lab. (if in pristine condition) Note the gloved curator carefully opening this great rarity so as no to harm it in any way.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/videos/thi ... 97&mc_cid=

Wish I had one of those Gilbert sets as a kid, but the senior-master Chemcraft, 4 tiered chemistry set had a more modest atomic energy section, which I did get for X-mass in 1957.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Re: Ridiculous premise - radiation present - The sky is falling!!

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I remember the American Basic Science kits (one supplied every month in the 'club') and these were very advanced. From radio's that one built, a strope light, complete dark room kit (including a small enlarger), microscope, telescope, meteology station, nuclear kit (and yes, included a large pack of unrainium ore and a small bit of radium! (sealed)) and many other projects. It was amazing and not very expensive per month. Most kits used parts &/or equipment from previous ones so one had to belong to the club to build all the equipment and experiments. They did sell the atomic kit seperately, apparently. These were very advanced (all included very complete technical project books) and were, I think, never exceeded in diversity, advanced level, completeness or shear quality.

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”