Vinyl tubes and j b weld

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
S Silvawalker

Vinyl tubes and j b weld

Post by S Silvawalker »

Trying to connect a roughing pump to an oil diffusion pump. I have some reinforced flexible vinyl tubing what would using that as my connection limit my pressure to?

Also, what pressure would the use of j b weld (baked) limit a vacuum chamber to?
Dennis P Brown

Re: Vinyl tubes and j b weld

Post by Dennis P Brown »

JB weld has uses but rarely (if ever) in high vacuum. For securing a foreline to a diffusion pump or mechanical vacuum pump, maybe. One needs as little as possble exposed to the vacuum environment. Not a good idea to bake expoxy securing metal - the thermal expansion difference tends to break any seal.

As for standard vinyl tubing, that will not really work; it will collapse and due to plasticizers, will out gass terribly. Thick vacuum grade rubber hose or vacuum grade vinyl tubing with metal coils are prefered for those applications.
Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp »

Vac-Torr is a high vacuum epoxy seal that is designed for high vacuum use. There is a less expensive Loctite product that is an equivalent formulation, but the number escapes me at the moment. Anyone else remember?
Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp »

Loctite Hysol 1C. It has been discussed at length on this forum in the vacuum FAQ’s.
S Silvawalker

Post by S Silvawalker »

Thank you!

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”