Interesting beta decay periodicity paper.

Members may post files they wish to share here.
Richard Hull

Interesting beta decay periodicity paper.

Post by Richard Hull »

My good friend and rad buddy, Bill Kolb submitted this paper for my perusal. According to Bill, who is hyper conservative and as sober as a judge, many other papers and research efforts have been done on this issue. Check the references at the end of the PDF. I was very tempted to post this in the radiation forum, but it does not pertain directly to fusor radiation issues or needs, but a much deeper issue in the theory of beta decay specifically. I reserve my thoughts to hear from others so interested.

Richard Hull
Attachments
Periods in Radioactive Decay[13307].pdf
(226.13 KiB) Downloaded 709 times
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Re: Interesting beta decay periodicity paper.

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Interesting phenomena if accurate. Some years back I saw a similar paper on this effect but that author had no explaination at that time.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The paper takes a rough stab at causes, but mostly discounts and explains away certain previously offered reasons for the observed phenomena presented in the paper. Like you say, though, "if it is real". Food for thought.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Rather glad you flagged that paper; I almost forgot about that rather strange phenomenon.

I noticed in the paper that Beta decay relates to the Earths orbit - when it is at its closest approch to the Sun (Jan.), one gets max decay; reverse for the greatest distance (July). This intrigues me relative to a theory I am working on and might impact it. So, thanks again for bringing this extremely ineteresting topic up, Richard.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Yes, The early and very assiduous radiation investigators, Curie, Rutherford, Soddy, Fajans, Hevesy, and many more went to the limit or their instruments, but could find no process by which radiation could be increased or diminished in any naturally occurring radioactive material. Today, instrumentation exists that can do this, provided, great care is taken on the part of the experimentalist willing to collect good data in stabilized instrumentation over long period of time. No one dared to question this "set in stone" premise. until the 50's and 60's. I would hazard that the first papers were scoffed at as being way off base.

Richard Hull

Return to “Files”