New Voltage Multiplier (VM)

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
Dennis P Brown

New Voltage Multiplier (VM)

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Put the voltage multiplier under oil and waiting for any leaks. This will be either an exciter for my Van de Graaff belt or if that does not perform, this VM will be converted to the second stage of a 100 kV exciter for a steel dome. Or maybe just become a bug zapper ...lol.
Attachments
MVC-012L.JPG
Dennis P Brown

Re: New Voltage Multiplier (VM)

Post by Dennis P Brown »

A quick update on this moderate sized monster: it works very well and easily reaches 50 kV - using a microwave x-former (in an insulated box mounted under the pictured VM) with these door knob caps the pile does provide a lot of power even at just 60 Hz.

However, rather reluctant to try the 100 kV for three reasons - such voltages are very had to achieve, far more difficult to confirm, and such voltages can find failure modes one would never suspect with bad consequences. Especially since it needs to excite a rather large steel dome (my accelerator assembly) - such a large, open charged device is asking to get bug sapped, if careless ... so, I will reconsider testing until I am sure this is necessary to up the voltage.

The giant Van de Graaf is finished and this voltage multiplier (as designed) was/is the planned exciter for the belt in that monster sized device. Yet the humidity levels continue to be far too high in the room and I am not sure when they will get below 50% much less the under 25%, which is the level I really feel I need.

The real hold up is my neutron detector and that issue I will address in the the neutron post thread.
RobertMendelsohn

Re: New Voltage Multiplier (VM)

Post by RobertMendelsohn »

Incredible work Dennis. Please continue to update us.

Sincerely,

Robert

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”