New Portable Neutron Detector Test (CT007-T)

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Mark Rowley

New Portable Neutron Detector Test (CT007-T)

Post by Mark Rowley »

-Portable Thermal Neutron Detector-

I was afforded the opportunity to test the yet-to-be-released CT007-T Li6 based neutron detector. It’s expected for these to begin production in early 2021 as the renamed CT008-T. The "8" will incorporate a newer microprocessor.
44090F2B-26FC-426B-9364-406A31F6D188.jpeg
73AC5E12-7746-4A34-A341-9FB1C640B6E2.jpeg
As seen in the below video, the detector passed with flying colors regarding effective neutron detection from a very low level Am/Be neutron source. Additionally, it’s total rejection of alpha, beta, and gamma was quite remarkable.

Further testing is underway to determine its suitability at detecting neutrons from the electrically noisy / high voltage environment of a 40kV Fusor. Preliminary results are promising and I’ll update once I get more data.

For isotopic neutrons, the CT series detector seems to do a fine job. As with all the other scintillation detectors from GammaGuard, the neutron detector utilizes a full featured / comprehensive smartphone app with GPS mapping and data logging.

http://www.gammawatch.com/

Here’s a video I made showing its ability to detect thermal neutrons while fully rejecting gamma influence.

https://youtu.be/c4QEnuXTxS8

This is the 10 minute histogram from the moderated run in the video.
DCB8203A-8103-4A71-995D-AFD8DEC15C3E.png
If anyone has any particular tests they’d like me to run, please ask. I really want to “kick the tires” as much as possible.

Mark Rowley
90FFBA00-A374-406E-9625-E1B6A6F370E8.jpeg
Alan Sailer

Re: New Portable Neutron Detector Test (CT007-T)

Post by Alan Sailer »

Mark,

Nice video. Thanks. What was the amount of Am in the source?

Cheers.
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Thanks Alan! Not sure, it came within a bulk load of stuff I picked up from someone who completely got out of the hobby. Compared to the source in Carl’s Mn56 video, probably very little. At its absolute best orientation in the paraffin moderator it’ll register ~14cpm with the CT007-T. Using the CHM11 it’s around 4cpm (oftentimes less).

Mark Rowley
Alan Sailer

Post by Alan Sailer »

Mark,

Thanks. You are really into this hobby and it's fun to watch the fruits of that dedication.

How does you old standby, the Ludlum Model 3/CHM11 count this source? More or less CPM?

Cheers.
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

No different than using the Ludlum 2221. 3-4cpm (average background of 1cpm subtracted).

Mark Rowley
Alan Sailer

Post by Alan Sailer »

Mark,

Thanks again. You are a great resource.

Cheers.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

No fixed price on this wonderment yet? Maybe $1000+, based on their other products?

Great report on the Beta test!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

I asked Kai this afternoon and yes, $1k is in fact the projected cost. If there are any changes I'll update.

Mark Rowley
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

all of this quite interesting.
there are others doing very similar exercises
We at work have been doing some exercising of another almost identical system using our accelerator to produce the neutrons and alphas to check neutron efficiency and alpha deafness
The client had already done the betas and Gammas deafness
Nicker

Post by Nicker »

Nice!

I think RadEye has a couple different smaller meters out that use li6 for their neutron source.

I always keep an eye open on ebay for such units, but no luck, having gamma detection is nice, but portable neutron detection in a compact package is amazing.

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”