1 uF 1kV Ceramic Capacitors

This is the place for your wish list. Let people know what you are looking for. They may have what you want or know somebody that does.
Joshua Guertler

1 uF 1kV Ceramic Capacitors

Post by Joshua Guertler » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:52 pm

Greetings,

I was curious if anyone had any ceramic capacitors around 1 uF and voltage ratings above 1 kV I would be happy to purchase them. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Joshua Guertler

Richard Hull

Re: 1 uF 1kV Ceramic Capacitors

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:08 pm

No such capacitor has ever existed. Ceramics capacitors are indeed high voltage, but the capacitance is limited to maybe .1 uf but .05uf is more on the order to be found in the 1-3 kv range. Most HV ceramics are in the capcitance range of 50pf to 5000pf in the 7kv to 30kv range. I have a large number of 1500pf ceramics in the 7kvac range (10kvdc) and they are the size of a large door knob. At HEAS fleamarket in October, I regularly see one vendor offer 6 inch diameter ceramics rated at 1000pf 30kvdc ceramics. Ceramics are recommended for DC filtering and fall prey to loss of electrode plating (silver deposition) if subjected to intense pulsed operation or high energy RF applications.

At 1kv paralleling 10 .1uf or 20 .05ufd @ 1 or 2kv discs would be the best ceramic possibility. It depends on what your application is.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:48 pm

What property of ceramic cpacitors makes you want to use them?

I just learned something by finding one in Digikey catalog. Seems to be on the edge of an envelope. Don't know if it's in stock, or ever been stocked.
cap.png
cap.png (37.22 KiB) Viewed 797 times
Would its current rating, temperature and voltage coefficients of capacitance, internal losses and power dissipation, self resonant frequency, etc. be OK for your application?

Along the lines of Richard's hint to you, many Tesla coilers have opted for arrays of lower-V, lower-C capacitors to meet requirements that are generally hard on capacitors.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:31 am

You are one lucky boy!.... Digikey has 8 of these wonderment caps in stock right now and indicate immediate delivery possible. They will sell them singley for the incredibly low price of $226.19, Oh, you will have to pay postage too. The real deal is if you order 10 of them, they will slash the per cap price down to a much more affordable $218.78 each. Unfortunately, they only have 8 in stock and the lead time as noted on getting the lot of 10 will be 32 weeks. All of this is correct, because I went to their website and got this key info regarding the money substances they want for these little bundles of joy. Better snap one or more up while the getting is good.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Joshua Guertler

Post by Joshua Guertler » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:47 pm

Oh boy, looks like I've struck gold! Beats Mouser, usually have a 26 week to 6 month FACTORY lead time, not including what it takes for processing the order and getting it shipped out.

Fortunately, I was able to find a set of smaller 0.01 uF ceramic caps. The pulse width with these caps will only be around 1/4 of the original pulse width I was planning on, but it won't kill me or my thyratron.

For anyone who may find themselves in my shoes, eBay sells a bunch of ceramic caps around 0.01 uF that'll make for a nice PFN at a MUCH lower price.

Josh

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:49 pm

No prob with Digikey or Mouser, the cost and leadtime are because it's such an extreme capacitor.
Rarely needed, rarely designed in, rarely made.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box

Chris Mullins

Post by Chris Mullins » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:48 pm

I've used 1uF 1KV ceramic caps professionally in a product (not that specific one, but an equivalent). Like others have said, that's at the extreme edge of what's available in ceramic. The going rate in ~250 piece quantity is around $15 to $25 each. When Digikey or Mouser are almost out, they sometimes jack the price up to ridiculous values to avoid technically having zero stock. Once a year you may catch them in stock at a normal price, but more often you'll have a 3-6 month lead time.

They're definitely nice caps though ....