ULVAC GLD-136C, Centrifugal Switch and Start Capacitor

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
AngeloGomes

ULVAC GLD-136C, Centrifugal Switch and Start Capacitor

Post by AngeloGomes »

Hi guys.

I have a ULVAC GLD-136C vacuum pump and I noticed smoke coming from the electronic box of the motor. After I openned the box, I saw a run capacitor 35uFx450V, a start capacitor 185uFx250V and centrifugal switch (hy-d2-165/40-12cu).

The start capacitor has leaked and I tried to replaced it. However I did not find any 185uFx250V capacitor, even after looking for it on GOOGLE !!! It seems that nobody on Earth produces this capacitor anymore.

So I had to replace it with a 189-227uFx250V capacitor which is easy to find. The problem now is: it gets too hot fast. I decided to install a bleeding resistor between the capacitor terminals and the pump runs, but only for 2-3 minutes when the thermal switch turns off the motor.

After this, I guess the problem is the centrifugal switch which does not remove the start capacitor from the circuit after the motor start.

Well, again using GOOGLE, I only found the hy-d2-165/40-12cu, Hangya Switch, on TAOBAO !!! and only one guy in China sells it.

Before to place an order for the centrifugal switch, I would like to confirm that the one I have is faulty.

How can I test the centrifugal switch outside the pump ?

JYI: Sent messages to ULVAC-KIKO, ULVAC distributors, ULVAC representatives and nobody had the dignity to reply, even to say "I am sorry, you must buy a new pump". No prob. my revenge is not to recommend ULVAC products.

Links and image

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=40563305532
John Futter

Re: ULVAC GLD-136C, Centrifugal Switch and Start Capacitor

Post by John Futter »

Angelo
how about following the rules
this first post of yours is a very peculiar as it is not an introduction in the correct sub forum
also full real name is a requirement to belong to this forum
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

How can a true centrifugal switch be in the box on top of the motor??? Yes, I could see a current/timer electronic switch mounted there that has refused to take the start capacitor out of circuit, burning up the start windings.

A true centrifugal switch must be mounted on the armature shaft, usually on a round phenolic plate. You can hear it classically click on and off. Being a common mechanical fail area, I might imagine it being replaced with a combo current and timer electronic circuit in modern times.

OK, the manufacturer wouldn't say it. I will....Buy a new pump! With a replacement capacitor and in-box "centrifugal switch, your windings might be burned up or shorted. Was the pump pumping fine and deep before the issue? If it was, a new motor might be in order, if it can be found. If it was used and you just bought it and were testing it........Buy a new pump.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
AngeloGomes

Post by AngeloGomes »

Hi Richard.

The pump was running fine before.

A friend of mine borrowed me a 35uF capacitor and the pump run for several minutes and it did hot get hot. Maybe it would take longer to turn off due to heat, but as the 35uF cap did not fit inside the box, I decided to find a capacitor around 189 uf that allow me to close the electronics box.
AngeloGomes

Post by AngeloGomes »

John Futter wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:52 pm Angelo
how about following the rules
this first post of yours is a very peculiar as it is not an introduction in the correct sub forum
also full real name is a requirement to belong to this forum
Hi John, sorry about this. I´ve sent you a pm explaining what have happened.

It seems to be ok now, at least for this new registration

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”