Any chance of an off-topic or non-fusion forum?

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
ian_krase

Any chance of an off-topic or non-fusion forum?

Post by ian_krase » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:37 am

I will completely understand if the administration of this BBS doesn't want to make anything of this sort, especially given the recent problems that made running the site unreasonably expensive, and the desire to curate an extremely specific and well-ordered site. However, if it's possible to do these things, I think it might be nice to have a side-subforum for one or both of the following things:

- Work with high vacuum, plasma, or particle beams that isn't specifically fusion related -- these discussions tend to be relevant to fusion, and fusion tends to be relevant to them, and currently this forum is the only good place to learn and discuss high vacuum on the Internet from an amateur perspective.

- Less-than-serious, actually off-topic discussion, or humor.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Re: Any chance of an off-topic or non-fusion forum?

Post by Frank Sanns » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:52 am

Fundamentally, I have no objection to another subform for related discussions. There are other sites for many things that you mention but who knows if a spark from one of those discussed here will help might help with the fusion effort.

If we do create such a subforum, I for one would not be very tolerant of wild theories and discussions. Technical is great. Tin foil hats not so much. Let's see what Paul and Richard and others have to say before I create it.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:56 am

I think it would dilute the site. and worry that it would attract a lot of folks looking for a site to discuss in depth subjects that there is no forum out there for them........So far as they know.

The bell Jar is the place for vacuum heads (deposition, electron microscopes, and vacuum related material projects. (vacuum furnaces, Ace glass components, etc.)

Definitely no tin foilers and no talk of citizens who have been to venus on the "mother ship". I actually received a phone call last week from a fellow telling me of well know new energy supporters who have moved through time to get ideas from the future........I hung up on him. I really worry it will be a haven for bizarre whackos and devolve to the point that any good material would be swamped out.

I am sure the boosters that are here now and wish such a sub forum would not abuse it, but what about future hangers-on arriving with a need for a place to spew garbage with the typical word salads.

This is an amateur fusion investigation site and should remain as such. My thoughts.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:08 am

Is the Bell Jar forum still in existence? If so, I have never seen it.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:20 pm

Late on the last forum, I took the liberty to prevent certain areas of the site from being parsed by search engines and from people that are not signed in. It was a way to keep our audience focused on the main task of nuclear fusion.

Excluded are the New User Chat area, the Please Introduce Yourself area, and the archive area of older announcements and posts. These areas are still only accessible to those that are registered and signed in. It is conceivable if we add another technical forum for other related technologies, it could also be hidden from the view of passers by and search engines. It could be used only by those already here for fusion and would not attract internet moths.

It need not be all or nothing. While I agree with Richard about the focus, I do think we could allow for some onsite synergy with some related technical discussions.

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:49 pm

One example of marginally fusion-related stuff on this forum is old threads about magnets & cyclotrons.
Successful cyclotron by Chris Mullins & family, including 8-inch DIY electromagnet. With talk about p-B11 fusion as one application.
Educational 3-inch electromagnet by me. Micro-cyclotrons, or at least the magnetic part, with great big NIB permanent magnets.

Our moderators OK'd them, in fact contributed to them, under "Alternate Paths to Fusion" IIRC.

p.s. Pleased to see that Active Topics search is back, for un-logged-in members (and lurkors?) I hope its troublemaking days are over.
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:40 pm

While fusion particle physics is, of course, fully supported here I'd be at a lost to see why a "pure" particle physics sub-forum would add any value to this site. Ditto for a general plasma forum; that especially would be a potential drain considering the vast subject matter and the impossible nature to make sense of the huge number of possible topics. A high vacuum forum would be partly related but hardly useful for the average fusion person. Rather, a possible cross link listing to a few of the more predominate such sites (i.e. the Vacuum Jar group, or one of the high voltage forums available) on the side panel might be useful and would be far more rational rather than a sub-forum.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:36 pm

the bell jar is still around.
Steve Hansen is now a writer for vacuum technology and coatings. He just did an article that included the fusor for amateur vacuum heads that I helped with. He noted that he was hoping to breathe a bit more life into the site. I cannot over state the value of the Bell Jar website for the rank amateur who is really interested in getting started in vacuum work. Good tutorials on amateur vacuum efforts.

http://belljar.net/

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:43 pm

I am going to express some reticence along the lines of what Richard has said above.

While I think there is certainly some room for tangential discussions, I'm inclined to agree with Richard that those tangents should stem from – or eventually return to – the topic of fusion and/or The Fusor.

That can be interpreted as a pretty broad umbrella, and over the years (decades!) the discussion here has covered a ridiculously broad range of subjects – without, as Richard and Frank infer – getting into the realm of tin-foil hats and time-travel induced theoretical initiatives (I let all that stuff pollute the Townsend Brown forums a decade back, http://www.ttbrown.com/forum/ – and there isn't enough tin-foil on the planet to inoculate a sane mind from the delicious word-salad toxins posted there over the years...).

So I say "no" to creating a new and separate forum for "off-topic" conversations. If it's about fusion, starts with fusion, or ends with fusion, then there is plenty of room for it here. If it doesn't fit one of those criteria, then it probably belongs somewhere else, and if that somewhere else does not exist, it's not our responsibility to fill the gap.

Now then, where is my tin-foil when I need it...

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:53 pm

As this site's more or less official garbage man, I take great joy in regularly deleting, with prejudice, all ridiculous, far fetched, dream world, espousals.
Some of you never see them, if I see them first.
A large number of pink flagged posts are also deleted thanks to the ever watchful eyes of our more informed regulars.

Richard Hull