[REQUEST] Tungsten Wire 1.5 mm

Use this forum to offer / scavenge for fusor parts
Joshua Guertler

[REQUEST] Tungsten Wire 1.5 mm

Post by Joshua Guertler » Sun May 05, 2019 8:38 pm

Greetings,

I have been looking to build a grid for 400 W and 40 kV. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find the 1.5 mm OD tungsten wire that would be suit it. Is there nay one on the forum who would be looking to sell some? Thank you.

Sincerely,
Joshua Guertler

Lukas Springer

Re: [REQUEST] Tungsten Wire 1.5 mm

Post by Lukas Springer » Sun May 05, 2019 8:43 pm

Take a look at tig welding electrodes, they're sometimes aviable in that diameter.
Green tip should be pure tungsten!

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sun May 05, 2019 10:24 pm

TIG welding electrodes are solid W rods .02" diameter and up.
MIG welding wire is feed stock and There is no tungsten wire in any welding process I am aware off.

Tungsten bendable W wire is a rather specialty item.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Dan Knapp

Post by Dan Knapp » Mon May 06, 2019 1:57 am

Check electrontubestore.com
They have many sizes of tungsten wire, but their largest is 0.015 in (0.38 mm). I suspect you’ll have a hard time finding 1.5 mm tungsten wire. You can get TIG electrodes that big, but they are brittle.

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Mon May 06, 2019 4:24 am

You might look into tungsten-rhenium wire, commonly made with 3%, 5%, and ~25% Re for thermocouples, among other things. Years ago, I got some on ebay to use for a fusor grid some day.
Looks like the alloys are generally much more ductile, and resistant to recrystallization at high temperatures, than pure W.
Here's a snip from the website of a maker called Concept Alloys.The Fahrenheit temperatures in table are equivalent to 20, 1000, and 2000 degrees Celsius.
wres.JPG
From a page about spool sizes, it looks like they sell wire cut to length.

Other refractory wire metals include tantalum, molybdenum, and niobium. Nb is very easy to get and to work with. Popular in jewelry and chain mail. This snip is from theringlord.com:
Cb_wire.JPG
Mike echo oscar whisky! I repeat! Mike echo oscar whisky, how do you copy? Over.

Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick » Wed May 08, 2019 1:12 pm

Maybe try braided tungsten wire instead of solid strand. It is more available and helps with ease in forming. Heavy tungsten wire is very hard to bend without breaking. Go to tungsten.com and check out their orphan bin under their products tab.