The Occasional Fusor.net Fund Raiser - 2019 Edition

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

The Occasional Fusor.net Fund Raiser - 2019 Edition

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:53 pm

Greetings, Fusor Friends:

First: a note of sincere Gratitude to Frank Sanns, Richard Hull, Andrew Robinson and others who have borne of the burden of keeping this site running smoothly while I have been largely MIA over the past... well, sigh, it's been a while now. I will spare you the gory details of my personal travails (begins with the letter "D"), other than to say how gratifying it is to see Fusor.net continue to run on its own energy (pun intended) and that interest in the topic remains high around the world.

The cost of maintaining the site has always been fairly modest, but over the past year has been increasing. My account with Media Temple provides a monthly allocation of bandwidth, but recently we have been running over that allocation and incurring additional charges. Some of that overage has been traced to the bots that crawl the site for search engines, and some effort has been made to minimize the bots impact, but we are still incurring additional charges. We have also recently added a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) that cost an additional $75/year 

In light of the changes in my personal circumstances and the increase in costs, it is going to be harder to bear the entire cost maintaining the site for at least the coming year.

So it is time, as have on occasion in the past, to ask the Fusor community to step up and pitch in.

If you are so inclined, just follow this link to contribute via PayPal

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/shopping ... openButton

Or stop by the front page of the site ( http://fusor.net ) and click the "donate" button and contribute whatever you can.

Thanks,

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."

Dan Knapp

Re: The Occasional Fusor.net Fund Raiser - 2019 Edition

Post by Dan Knapp » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:29 pm

I'm in, but I have no feel for what it costs to operate the site. What's a fair share?

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:38 pm

I'm reluctant to put a number out there, but if everybody who frequents the site contributed ~$20, that'd cover it for a year...
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:23 am

As they say in th' biz.........My check is in the mail. Lets all help out a bit. Paul has borne the overall cash burden since 1998 with only occasional help from a few others among us who have chipped in, but not as often as we should have.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Lukas Springer

Post by Lukas Springer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:27 am

For some reason I get an error after entering everything in the paypal link above, but the one on the front page works.

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:15 pm

I got your contribution, Lukas, thank you.

--PS

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

UPDATE - Re: The Occasional Fusor.net Fund Raiser - 2019 Edition

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:22 pm

It's been a whole week since I launched this little fundraiser, so I thought I'd offer a summary of the contributions to date.

There have been 22 contributions. The total raised so far is is $1,440. Average contribution is $65.

That's more than enough to keep the Forums online for the rest for the year – or, at least, it should be.

But: This morning I got an advisory from Media Temple (the host ISP) informing me that our bandwidth overuse for the current month is projected to run well over our pre-paid allocation – to the tune of almost $150 for the month.

I will get together with Frank Sanns to see if we can figure out what accounts for all this additional traffic, whether its bots of some sort of a sudden jump in actual traffic due to the recent flurry of media attention.

Whatever the source, it's comforting to know that whatever additional charges the site might be incurring are covered thanks to the generosity of its users.

Thank you all very much.

--PS

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:02 pm

Paul,

If you don't mind sharing, what's the allowed bandwidth on the contract per month?

We're only a few days into the month. Must be a high data rate to predict overage for this month.
Rex Allers

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:43 pm

The hosting service does not measure bandwidth per se. They base the billing on GPU usage. Normally we are right at the limit but this past month, we had a spike that doubled the GPU usage hence the big overage.

Here is a chart of what we are dealing with. Suggestions to reduce our GPU usage and our cost down would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 6.11.45 PM.png

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:10 am

I'm looking into the problem as we speak.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!