Vacuum Engineering Textbooks

A place to keep track of reference material - any particularly useful books, articles, etc. should be listed here.
Michael Bretti

Vacuum Engineering Textbooks

Post by Michael Bretti »

Just wanted to share a list of the vacuum engineering textbooks I have acquired for my own system designs and research. I had initially checked them out at the library, but I found them so good and such excellent resources, that I bought my own copies. They can be found for only a few dollars used online. The books so far have proven as invaluable resources to my own vacuum engineering research and efforts, and I would highly recommend anyone who wants to delve more seriously into high vacuum engineering to add them to their library. Each book has a wealth of knowledge, and covers a wide range of topics, while having their own unique areas of focus. I have read all of them several times and have taken extensive notes on their contents, and continuously refer back to them for valuable reference material. I have found that texts such as these includes a great deal of knowledge that you simply will not find online, and a lot of details and information which seems to be almost lost nowadays on the subject of high vacuum engineering.

1.) Fundamentals of Vacuum Science and Technology - Gerhard Lewin, 1965
£ 8.69 - AbeBooks.co.uk
An exceptional book that covers a wide range of topics, including basic gas theory, conductance, surface effects, pumping processes, vacuum gauges and measurements, pumps, high vacuum components, materials, and high vacuum joints. The key strengths of this book are the chapters looking at conductance calculations and surface effects. The chapter on conductance calculations has been incredibly useful for my own system designs. The chapter on surface effects is lengthy and very detailed, and includes a large amount of in depth reference material on the mechanisms of sorbtion and desorption, looking at the derivations and mechanisms of these processes in detail, with a large amount of reference charts, data, and equations. Very useful and insightful on these subjects, particularly on the physics and mathematics behind outgassing and desorption mechanisms. One of the best books I have read on high vacuum engineering.

2.) Introduction to the Theory & Practice of High Vacuum technology - L. Ward, J.P. Bunn, 1967
$20.69 - Amazon.com
Another exceptionally detailed and rigorous book on the foundations and principles of high vacuum engineering. This book covers a wide range of topics including gas theory, conductance and flow, vacuum pumps, vacuum gauges and measurements, vacuum construction and sealing techniques, numerical design of high vacuum systems, leak detection, and practical applications of high vacuum technology. The key strength of this book lies in the chapters dealing with calculations for gas flows in vacuum, as well as numerical design of high vacuum systems. These chapters go into greater depth of the mathematics and derivations behind vacuum system design, providing excellent and in-depth examples for calculating various parameters in high vacuum system design. An invaluable reference to more in-depth vacuum system engineering, design, and calculation. This book has also been one of the most important high vacuum engineering texts I have read, and has been invaluable to my own system design and calculations.

3.) Handbook of High Vacuum Engineering - H. A. Steinherz, 1963
£ 6.99 - AbeBooks.co.uk
This text provides an excellent practical reference for high vacuum engineering. While there are some derivations and mathematics on high vacuum engineering design, the key focus and strength of this book is the in-depth detail on the various components, parts, and systems used in high vacuum engineering. The book covers a wide range of topics including materials and construction for high vacuum systems, behavior of gases in vacuum, vacuum pumps, gauges, leak detection, valves, seals, vessel design, baffles and traps, pumping system design, and several detailed sections on a wide range of high vacuum system applications. An excellent and detailed reference on the practical component side of high vacuum systems.

4.) Practical Vacuum Systems - Rolland Rutledge LaPelle, 1972
$14.52 - Amazon.com
As the title suggests, this text focuses primarily on practical systems using high vacuum. The book offers a very good basic and introductory read to high vacuum systems, going over topics such as basic pumping fundamentals, materials of construction, vacuum pumps, troubleshooting/cleaning/repair of high vacuum systems, gauges/analyzers/calibration, vacuum vessels, and vacuum welding. While not as in-depth as the prior mentioned books, it is still an excellent introductory read on the subject of high vacuum engineering.
Ameen Aydan

Re: Vacuum Engineering Textbooks

Post by Ameen Aydan »

I can only purchase one. Which one would you recommend?
Michael Bretti

Post by Michael Bretti »

Ameen,

It depends on the level of depth you want to get into, and what information you are seeking exactly. If you want to get into the basics of high vacuum components and systems without getting too deep, the last two books are great references. However, if you want to get into more advanced topics and really dive into the physics, mathematics, and derivations of system design and high vacuum phenomenon such as outgassing and pumping calculations, the first two are exceptional. I would say if you can only get one, of the two introductory texts (#3 and #4), #3 is more in depth and covers much more material, and is the one I would recommend. Of the two more advanced texts, both are equally important and focus on slightly different areas. #1 is an excellent resources for outgassing, desorption, and sorbtion physics, while #2 is exceptional for numerical design and calculation of high vacuum system parameters.
Chris Mullins

Post by Chris Mullins »

Thanks for the recommendations, I was able to grab all four for even less than those prices, from Abe books and Amazon. Now begins the 20-50 day wait for shipping from the UK ....
Michael Bretti

Post by Michael Bretti »

No problem, great to hear you could find all four books for even less. I believe when I ordered my books, it took much less than the estimated wait time. In any case, they are definitely worth the wait, especially the first two books on the list.

Return to “Books & References”