Dumping the trash

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Richard Hull

Dumping the trash

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:34 pm

I have just purged an entire thread. It was a form of advertising for manufactured, commercial fusion reactor assemblies costing tens of thousands of dollars. Actually it was an attempt to advertise what claimed to be over-unity fusion systems to a public market.

In keeping with our policies, no form of commercial advertising will be allowed in these forums. Private sales of fusion related materials to single private parties for material components needed to complete a fusor or items related to nuclear measurement devices is allowed in our Trading post forum.

URLs of known, reliable sources of materials or components that might aid in sourcing items valuable to, or needed by individual fusor builders, is allowed in any forum. This does not include finished fusion systems, kits, or reactors.

Purging of all commercial advertising will be permanently enforced here.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

John Futter

Re: Dumping the trash

Post by John Futter » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:13 am

Richard
Well done
I see that in the last few registrations that our reasons for the real full name are still with us
here is the list as of a few minutes ago of the ones needing purging before they do what Vandam36 has done

luckyqm
1020Finance
Mason100000
Rex A Test
jituyhgf5432 0
https://crbtech.in/online-electrical-de ... ing-course
Vandam36 1
Of course there are many more from a few days ago
maybe more regular vetting of the new users and deleting those who do not follow the rules is called for before they cause trouble

sorry just another of my silly ideas

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Re: Dumping the trash and Registration Problems

Post by Frank Sanns » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:41 am

The cause of the influx of unvetted users is because of my actions.

It seems that MANY of the people trying to register on our site cannot get the answer to the anti spambot question correct. It in essence asks for the name of the gas that we use and the number of neutrons that it has. It seems like a question that with 8 guesses before you get locked out, that it would be doable. Many have no problem but many do.

Often I get requests at my Sanns Science website to help people register here. I believe Richard has had those too. While I am happy to help those with technical or physical impairments, I am not so keen on helping those that just do not do the research to come up with an answer that should be trivial or at least in a very short list of answers to anybody wanting to post about fusion on the site.

The sad part is that there are HUNDREDS of people that cannot activate their accounts because they do not know the answer to the anti spambot question. Many I have verified and manually activated, others I have purged, and another hundred plus users have inactive accounts because they still have not answered the question.

We want people to participate on the site and not be able to solve the question to get in. Around a week ago, I broke down and put the full answer in the text field after the anti spambot question so nobody had to work too hard to register.

The result was successful that people are not having trouble activating their accounts by answering the question. Unfortunately, people that want to spam the site, now have the key to do it.

I wish we did not have to keep lowering our standards and expectations for people to be able to activate their accounts. We were just down to the point of a person that is totally unawares of fusion being able to answer the question. Clearly that is above what an auto spambot can do as we do not have dozens or more a day registrations but it is enough to be a pain for those of us trying to keep the activations current.

With that said, I have taken the answer to the spambot question back out and will rely on diligence of the person trying to register to get the question right. I still think eight tries is fair but I do see several of the same names trying more than one time. That perseverance is good but just try to think about the answer to the question. There are really a very few number of isotopes of hydrogen and only three choices for the number of neutrons. Even with guessing, you get 8 chances to guess 3 choices! Even if all of the isotopes are confused, there are only 9 permutations.

So we are back to the spambot measures from over a week ago. That was working but leaving many not being able to figure out the question. I guess it will just have to do. If you want to join, you have to be as smart as a 5th grader.

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:27 am

Hey, I made the dump list.
Rex A Test
was one I created. If it goes away, no prob.

I never planned to make a post from that ID.
I just wanted to see what my profile looked like to other users and try one interaction to see if it worked as expected. It did.
Rex Allers

Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:22 am

The spambot question is fine ... It seems like a minimum bar for those attempting to work with high voltage, vacuum, etc.

JoeBallantyne

Post by JoeBallantyne » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:15 am

Perhaps we could have a FAQ about how to register for the forum, and put the answer in that FAQ. That way folks who read the FAQ can get in, and those who aren't even willing to do that are blocked. Probably would be sufficient to keep the spam bots out, even though the answer is in the FAQ.

Then people who want help registering could just get pointed at the FAQ.

Just a thought.

JoeBallantyne

Post by JoeBallantyne » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:24 am

I also had an idea about the real name user name problem that so many folks seem to have trouble with.

What if as part of registration, we have a single stand alone page where we explain that real name usage on the site is required, and ask for folks first, middle and last names, and require that first and last be entered, and then generate 3 or 4 different valid usernames based off their real names, and checked against existing user names that would meet our requirements. Then they click a radio button or equivalent next to the username they want, and that is the username that gets used for them. Done.

For example for me:

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ballantyne

valid user names
Joe Ballantyne
Joe_Ballantyne
JoeBallantyne

richnormand

Post by richnormand » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:31 am

I remember a forum from Russia a few years ago that required me to take a few tests (about 10 questions) on semiconductor electronics before giving me access. Not a bad idea.

Similarly another car related site flashed a rules page to you until you got a minimum posting. That gave the moderator a way to dump you if you were out of line after a warning.

Going back a few years I remember Richard welcoming me here and asking to post in the introduction section and thanking me for a good post. That sent a very positive message about folks here.

Just my 2cents

cheers

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:10 am

Thanks for the input. We are back to solving the question that all should know before passing this way to post.

Also thanks to those that routinely greet and steer the new people on the site. This is very helpful as it used to fall on just a very few. Now many are stepping in to greet and help. This is good to carry on the good will of the site.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:07 pm

I second Frank's thanks to all the others who are now "old boys", having stuck to the site and who are helping out in assisting, and more often, correcting the newbies. I used to be one of the few doing this. It got old real fast. Nonetheless, I stuck it out and slowly acquired helpers. Now, I am confident enough to ignore many newbie issues, realizing that I have help that will spring into action.

Newbies turn into new guys, who turn into fusor team guys, who turn into old boys on this site. (provided they stick around)

Again, many heartfelt thanks.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.