HEAS 2017 - post all images here!

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Richard Hull

HEAS 2017 - post all images here!

Post by Richard Hull »

I would like all photos posted as replies here please. If you have them, put them here as replies with your text. Thanks

Here are my posted pix covering some of the flea market which, as always, was big hit and many left with goodies needed to either start or finish up a fusor. Beautiful day, high Temperature was 85 degrees, sunny and nice. Total attendence 48 people. Fusor IV was operated on 4 separate runs and produced 1.4 million n/s. We activated Indium, Silver and Rhodium.

The evening power point presentations were made by Kevin Dunn on the Chemistry of soapmaking, Tim Koethe on the refueling of Univrsity of Maryland's swimming pool reactor, Jim Kovalchik talked on he and his wife's Uranium glass collection and their efforts to discover new specimens. Finally, T.R. Leary gave a late night talk on his efforts at chemo-magnetic levitation with demos. He also talked of extracting copper from VA minerals, (He had a 3 ounce ingot he extracted). He also talked on his growing sulphur crystals. The last man shut the event down by leaving the lab and headed home at 3:15 am Sunday morning.

The farthest traveled attendee was Joe Ballantyne from Redmond, Washington, Dave Rosignoli traveled from Colorado.

I will not name names, but during a couple of trips on dinner runs to Texas Road House, two of our attendees ordered and consumed at one sitting a custom selected and cooked 32 ounce steak each. On subsequent visits they backed off to selected 24 ounce steaks. Everyone had a blast at HEAS 2017.

Richard Hull
Attachments
20171007_105907.jpg
20171007_105907.jpg (38.01 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
2017-15.JPG
2017-14.JPG
2017-13.JPG
2017-12.JPG
2017-11.JPG
2017-10.JPG
2017-9.JPG
2017-8.JPG
2017-7.JPG
2017-6.JPG
2017-5.JPG
2017-4.JPG
2017-3.JPG
2017-2.JPG
2017-1.JPG
2017.JPG
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jim Kovalchick

Re: HEAS 2017 - post all images here!

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

I took advantage of Richard's plentiful neutrons to test a prototype neutron clicker made with a chunk of HDPE, a scavenged LiI scintillator from a Neutronrae, and an SK1 clicker. The detector is completely self contained and chatters when exposed to neutrons. I was very pleased with the results except the SK1 swamped a little when there were too many neutrons. At 700,000 neutrons per second I needed to hold it back nearly 18 inches. I can easily swap the SK1 for a bnc cable connected to NIM components to make a decent counter.

https://youtu.be/E5xuy55Ba5U
Attachments
20171005_194954.jpg
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Some HEAS pictures taken Saturday. As always it was a great time.
Attachments
Jim in foreground with his LiI Neutron counter as Hull operates the fusor
Jim in foreground with his LiI Neutron counter as Hull operates the fusor
By-standers look on as fusor IV is put through its paces
By-standers look on as fusor IV is put through its paces
Some folks didn't get a lot of sleep and as the day wore on, yawning was often observed
Some folks didn't get a lot of sleep and as the day wore on, yawning was often observed
A somewhat washed out image of the video Monitor and fusorIV's star mode image.
A somewhat washed out image of the video Monitor and fusorIV's star mode image.
All these shots were of folks in the lab building talking and observing demo's
All these shots were of folks in the lab building talking and observing demo's
20171007_151724.jpg
20171007_151730.jpg
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

Wish I were there this year.

Jim, is your little detector one of the NeutronRAE pulls that are periodically offered on ebay with bent or missing pins? What's your hit rate for finding them to be functional?

Is it too late to get an answer about how much the count rate is affected by presence of a moderator?

I am seeing your picture thumbnails upside-down. As discussed in a recent thread started by one precocious newbie, some cameras and smartphones automatically guess at the intended orientation, and store that in the file's metadata. But IMHO, it's not yet respected widely enough in forum / browser / filesystem explorer software to depend on it.

Rich
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Rich,
My counter does not use one of the Scionix plug in, mini pmt detectors. It is uses a NeutronRAE metal enclosed crystal with a pin diode and internal preamp.

I did not do a comparison measure with and without miderator because in the current configuration I only use sound. I can say though that the moderator changes the countrate by orders of magnitude.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I thought it HEAS 2017 was being held here in Virginia and not Australia ... or, maybe, the images are posting upside down (lol.) Great pics none-the-less and thank you for posting them!
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

Cool! This makes me wish there was something like a West Coast HEAS.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

All there ever needs to be for a real West Coast event like HEAS is one and only one person willing to dedicate his home and property for one or two days a year for the event, ( human spark plug), and enough people who really care about such a venue and are willing to travel to get there. As the event grows, if it grows, prepare to have any lawn you own ruined by parking of 20 or more cars and even more people walking around on it for hours and hours. After the event is over, there is always a trash detail to police up the debris left by a few careless and indifferent attendees. Your toilet will be used far more than 100 times during the event, unless you rent at least two "porta-johns". You should live in an area that has a decent number of nearby motels and food venues, unless you plan to feed them on site. Both Ed Wingate and myself fed all attendess for a number of years until the quoted catering prices just bcame too much to bear.

Jon Rosenstiel held a single event, I believe, a number of years ago at his California home with about 4 or 5 folks present. Which was a nice West Coast effort. I am unaware of it happening a second time. Of course, all fusioneers often have guests call from out of town who will be passing through. Enthusiastic fusor owners will often give them a special show and tell. I do this about 3 or 4 times a year for interested persons or even small groups, provided we set up a mutually suitable time frame for both.

Richard Hull

P.S. OK folks.....I saw a ton of cameras snapping photos.......Post some of the best of them!!!
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

Nice pictures. Hopefully more to come. One suggestion... It would be nice if, when known, there was a caption describing who or what is in the picture.

Rich and Dennis,
Regarding the orientation of images in the posts, at the time of the last discussion about this stuff I started to do a FAQ type post on images in the forum but got distracted and didn't finish it. I still intend to post it eventually.

Quickly, for now, all imaging sensors in cameras have one orientation that is considered normal. For a regular digital camera the normal orientation of the camera should be obvious. For a phone camera, normal is maybe not so obvious. These days most digital cameras including ones in phones have an accelerometer that can sense gravity and figure out if the picture was taken with the camera in other than "normal" orientation.

If the picture was not normal, the camera can record the orientation in one field of the EXIF section of meta data that is attached as part of the image file. The actual image data in the file is usually still sequenced as the "normal" of the sensor. Most browsers and display software understands the EXIF data convention and can rotate the image, as it is displayed, if the normal of the image data is not the way the camera was oriented.

When a poster adds an image to their post, if it is too big to fit in the message window, the forum software creates a smaller thumbnail image to put in the post. The original uploaded image file is still kept and usually will be shown by itself if you click on the thumbnail. It seems that when the thumbnail image is created, the EXIF info in the original image is ignored and no EXIF data is included in the thumbnail file. So the thumbnails always are shown in "normal" orientation which has a 1-in-4 chance of being how the world was, relative to the camera.

So, in the pictures above that seem to be upside down, if I click on one of them, my browser opens the original file, sees the EXIF data and rotates the image. So the bigger picture that I see, when I click on the thumbnail image, is displayed right side up.

There are more details I could provide and ways to process images before posting to avoid this, but I'll save that for the longer post I intend to make eventually.
Rex Allers
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I have gone through my pix and captioned them. Sadly the photos from Jim remain inverted...(for some of us). I am undertaking to caption his images. You folks can make 'em up-right.
Thanks Rex for explaining the inversion related to smart phone images.

Richard Hull
Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson »

The steak was delicious... :)
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
David Rosignoli

Post by David Rosignoli »

Thanks to Richard for hosting another great event. Some more photos below.
Just a side note for those who travel by air - I bought a high voltage pulse capacitor that I tried to bring as carry-on luggage at the security checkpoint in Richmond but was rejected by the TSA. Although it was not listed on their list of banned items for luggage because they couldn't x-ray it they couldn't accept it. The TSA fellow said it could not be accepted as carry on luggage or as checked baggage, but I could try freight with the airline. A walk back to the check in desk manager gives a slightly different story. He says that they have a different method of scrutinizing luggage and was able to check it no problem. Good thing I had a second bag!
Thanks,
Dave
Richard explaining his geiger tube setup
Richard explaining his geiger tube setup
Tailgate supplies...
Tailgate supplies...
More goodies for sale
More goodies for sale
More goodies...
More goodies...
Mo' goodies
Mo' goodies
20171007_111204.jpg
20171007_111211.jpg
vacuum goodies
vacuum goodies
Richard manning the fusor
Richard manning the fusor
Hitting over 1Mega neutrons!
Hitting over 1Mega neutrons!
Tim Koeth giving an in depth presentation on the Univ. of Maryland reactor
Tim Koeth giving an in depth presentation on the Univ. of Maryland reactor
Kevin Dunn giving an entertaining presentation on the chemistry of soap
Kevin Dunn giving an entertaining presentation on the chemistry of soap
T.R. explaining his copper extraction steps
T.R. explaining his copper extraction steps
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Great pic's and thanks again Richard for not just hosting this meeting but also creating it; also, making this entire forum possible and available!

Aside: And thanks very much to Frank Sanns for the new forum site! This is very nice and functional! ( I too have coded a good bit and can only say, boy, I get it on the ugly issues recoding an existing (and complex) piece of software can and usually is!) For someone that understands the work and frustration, thank you again for all the work!

The last time I was at HEAS I really enjoyed the presentations - in fact, outside of meeting Richard, it was the best part of the meeting - learning now to make fire was really a high light (yes, dates my last attendance.) The technical talk that year was also really interesting and professional (a deuterium accel & loading of deuterium in different metals via that device.)

Maybe someone could post on more details relative to the presentations this HEAS? Like what was the copper exaction talk on in a bit more detail? Is the UMCP reactor doing anything new and interesting?

Congratulations, Richard, on hitting one million neutrons/sec! That is impressive! Relative to the old saying: "Your not getting older but better" really applies to your fusor!

The picks really make me regret not attending - next year for sure! And I have to arrive for the equipment fair for once.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Whoa there..........It is not I who makes this forum available, nor Frank Sanns. It was the sole thought and effort of the perfesser, AKA Paul Schatzkin that has and continues to make the fusor forum available!!! Frank and I are just Paul's assistants in this venue, his overseers, if you will. The perfesser is the real original source for this fabulous, long running forum for serious amateur scientists interested in doing fusion.

It is Frank working with Paul and now Andrew who do the heavy lifting work on the rare total collapse and crisis modes that have caused distressful moments here to keep this venue on the internet, inspite of changing software and idiots that would do us injury.

I am just the garbage man, who knows garbage. I am trained to see word salads from the "also rans" and the "me toos" and take such trash to the dump.

I am proud to host a yearly conclave for the last 28 years for high energy amateur scientists of various interests to gather and share their knowledge, materials and science with others.

Please remember this is Paul's site from its inception. We have given it body and sustenance needed to grow to be more than just another forum in cyber space. Paul had the vision and we gave it arms and legs. Thanks, Paul, for the venue!

Richard Hull
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

About the talks.........Sadly, T.R. Leary gave his talk around midnight and only about 14 folks were still hanging around during his major show and tell.
He asked if he could do a show and tell and we all watched in tight group as he poured out his recent efforts. Many interesting things and revelations as well as great humor tend to come out and be witnessed by the folks who hang out after 11PM.

The last "hanger-on" left about 3:15 AM Sunday morning.

I have, only today, totally cleaned and oganized the lab and grounds to their pre-event level. I spent two days sorting through the goodies I bought.

Richard Hull
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Richard, thank you for the correction. We, or at least I, as users of this forum need to know or be reminded of this information.
I did not know that Paul Schatzkin created and also helps to maintain this site.

So, a big thank you to Paul Schatzkin (aka the "perfesser") for this wonderful forum!

This forum has helped so many - just looking at the Neutron Club list (the most difficult major nuclear particle to detect!) says so much about the usefulness and power of this forum! That is above the fact this means that many more have achieved fusion (but weren't able to prove it) in their own home - certainly one of nature's most amazing reactions; and one can witness this using such (compared to modern tech) equipment is amazing, as well as informative.

This forum also encourages and helps beginners (like me!) learn a great deal of practical electronics/high voltage systems knowledge that is extremely useful; yet, this forum also does more: the Plasma Club list - all those people achieving a vacuum system and some type of power supply to create the Fifth State of matter - a phenomena that is an important achievement, in of its-self, too; even the Scrounger's Club is useful for many - a group that encourages and helps people to learn how to find really interesting scientific equipment that can be used for so much more than just a fusor.

This overlooks the many methods people here develop and share to deal with the many issues related to building a fusor: like producing deuterium gas from heavy water to get around the problem that this gas is getting near impossible to procure now-a-days.

Finally, this forum provides a place for people from other disciplines to meet here to exchange ideas/information and get both help and learn about other scientific endeavors.

This forum has both inspired and aided so many to achieve these impressive and useful activities. I suspect that most or many would never have done these technological achievements and certainly most would never have been able to do it both as quickly nor as safely without the aid of this forum.

Finally, this forum encourages both young students/teens/children to both appreciate science and for some, starts them on a very production and exciting career track in both High School and college.

Again, thank you Paul Schatzkin - we are all in your debt!

Aside: Richard, thanks for the updates on the HEAS talks - really wish I had attended! Hope more pic's are posted.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Dennis, thanks for your excellent reply.

Doing fusion is all about a fusion of many scientific and technical disciplines, as you note. The first fusion is when someone with the verve and nerve starts to fuse the many knowledge bases and take them into their collective knowledge. This the most difficult of all fusions and few landing here have the right stuff. This makes all of those who actually do fusion and who take over a year or more to do so, the real winners. Most often, these are the folks who did not use money and others building their device for them, but pushed forward against the odds. They make a lot of mistakes even with or in spite of our help. Still, they learn via the doing and the hands-on imperative.

Like you, I am rather stunned at so few who took photos and who have posted them here. I know there were more taking pictures. I hope this will spur them on to share their images.

Richard Hull
Silviu Tamasdan

Post by Silviu Tamasdan »

Looks like you had a lot of fun. Wish I could have been there... but it came on one very busy week for me.
There _is_ madness to my method.
Susan51160

Post by Susan51160 »

In regard to Richard's statement about the hearty steak-eaters; I know EXACTLY to whom he is referring. One sat on my left and the other sat on my right! But I will never tell....:)

I took many snaps at the event and will post them from my laptop tomorrow.
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Posting up a compressed pdf of my presentation powerpoint. Not a lot of words, but I thought some might like the pictures.

Jim K
Attachments
Picking U Glass compressed.pdf
(3.02 MiB) Downloaded 405 times
Susan51160

Post by Susan51160 »

These are photos of the lab activities from the Friday night.
Attachments
Our own hero Frank Sanns chats after a fusor run
Our own hero Frank Sanns chats after a fusor run
Larry Adams and others talk about my 1950's counter
Larry Adams and others talk about my 1950's counter
Some of my NIM gear used to gather data
Some of my NIM gear used to gather data
Detectors for the NIM Gear above
Detectors for the NIM Gear above
Fusor IV and its gear
Fusor IV and its gear
Fusor IV's deuterium gas delivery board
Fusor IV's deuterium gas delivery board
A more broad oblique view of fusor IV
A more broad oblique view of fusor IV
Richard Hull shows one of his "ray gun" arduino based GM counters for sale to Dave Rosignoli
Richard Hull shows one of his "ray gun" arduino based GM counters for sale to Dave Rosignoli
Susan51160

Post by Susan51160 »

These are from the Saturday of the big sale. As you can see, a good time was had by all!
Attachments
A group listens as Bill Kolb waxes eloquent about something in his hand.
A group listens as Bill Kolb waxes eloquent about something in his hand.
Jim Kovalchick listens intently to a Univ. of Maryland student.
Jim Kovalchick listens intently to a Univ. of Maryland student.
My pal, Bill Kolb author of the books "living with Radiation", and the authoritative "Trinitite"
My pal, Bill Kolb author of the books "living with Radiation", and the authoritative "Trinitite"
"Jimbo" one of the UMd guys helping Tim Koethe sell his goodies.
"Jimbo" one of the UMd guys helping Tim Koethe sell his goodies.
Folks relaxing during the high powered flea market.
Folks relaxing during the high powered flea market.
Some of Richard Hull's for sale items just outside the lab
Some of Richard Hull's for sale items just outside the lab
More of Richard's for sale items.  Many were ultimately purchased.
More of Richard's for sale items. Many were ultimately purchased.
Jim Kovalchick roots through Richard's trinitite and Uranium ore samples for sale.
Jim Kovalchick roots through Richard's trinitite and Uranium ore samples for sale.
Andrew Robinson picks through Richard's ore samples.
Andrew Robinson picks through Richard's ore samples.
Jim Kovalchick's offerings sold well
Jim Kovalchick's offerings sold well
Folks sat and milled around all day.
Folks sat and milled around all day.
Andrew and Frank relax in the shade and chat.
Andrew and Frank relax in the shade and chat.
HEAS regular member George Weistoffer checks out T.R. Leary's table of goodies
HEAS regular member George Weistoffer checks out T.R. Leary's table of goodies
Tony DeAngelis a great regular who has only missed 4 of the 28 years of HEAS conference gatherings
Tony DeAngelis a great regular who has only missed 4 of the 28 years of HEAS conference gatherings
Warren Ellingsen a regular HEAS vacuum materials vendor
Warren Ellingsen a regular HEAS vacuum materials vendor
Geroge and Larry Huffstedler (Heas members) look over goodies.
Geroge and Larry Huffstedler (Heas members) look over goodies.
T.R. Leary's fabulous Bismuth crystals that he grows from a melt!
T.R. Leary's fabulous Bismuth crystals that he grows from a melt!
Jim Kovalchick and Richard wheel and deal. All of their transactions were in trade...No money changed hands.
Jim Kovalchick and Richard wheel and deal. All of their transactions were in trade...No money changed hands.
The UMd sales table run by Tim Koethe and his students.
The UMd sales table run by Tim Koethe and his students.
Some former clear glass goblets hit with 10 mega rads in a cobalt 60 hot cell!! (turned brown.)
Some former clear glass goblets hit with 10 mega rads in a cobalt 60 hot cell!! (turned brown.)
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Thanks for posting the talk (wow - that is really one deep UV "flash light": not a device to look into! I'd even be careful about any specular reflections from reflective surfaces. Is there anything the Chinese aren't making that isn't really off-the-wall? Some of the stuff just really strikes me as ...well, just couldn't for the life of me think why they'd make it and then you show how useful the items can be. Go figure.

Also, thanks for more of the HEAS photo's - is it possible to get some captions for ones that aren't obviously self explanatory and possibly names with some of the pic's of people?

Really have to attend the "sale" when I manage to go to the HEAS the next time it comes around (I've only been able to stay for one day each time I went previously and so missed out on the "Flea Market"! So many nice items (and not just fusion related.)
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Susan, You really did a fabulous job of capturing images of the lab gear and the fleamarket. Thank you very much! I have captioned the photos. This was a great wad of photos.

For those who don't know, Susan has been to a few HEAS events and is currently in college going for her degree and nuclear physics. She asks questions to learn what methodologies are being applied.

Apparently Susan's camera date tag is stuck on May 25 2008

Richard Hull
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

2017 HEAS will be remembered as the year of the vacuum goodies! We had four vacuum vendors and the competition was fierce! I spent close to $180 on vacuum materials, but near the end of the day, as the vendors packed up, Tim Koethe yelled out.."I do not want to take this stuff back"..... A small crowd ensued around his, still well stocked, vacuum gear table. I stayed the longest and packed several boxes that were sold at fire sale lot-in-a-box prices.

Dare I gloat.....Oh yes... and here are the images and data to prove it. Sorry for those who could not attend or for those who did and did not bring enough money to the table.

Look close at the KF 16 pile. (click on image) You will see a snap on-snap off bellows valve plus 2 micrometer metering valves.
Check out the feed thru image. One is a weldable HV BNC feed thru and the MDC 10 pin job is new in package... normal price on this is about $500.00

Opps.... I forgot the 6 Baratron capactitive 50 torr differential pressure manometer gauges with VCR fittings on one end of each. I will add the photo of them soon.

Richard Hull
Attachments
Two 4.5 C.F. flanges one rotatable $10.00 each
Two 4.5 C.F. flanges one rotatable $10.00 each
load of KF stuff all for under $50
load of KF stuff all for under $50
Precision Leak...Wow! 25.00
Precision Leak...Wow! 25.00
6 way 2.75 cross with 3 arms rotatable. Plus, two 25kv 2.75 C.F. standoff links  All for $30
6 way 2.75 cross with 3 arms rotatable. Plus, two 25kv 2.75 C.F. standoff links All for $30
3 HV feed thrus + very costly 10 pin MDC feed-thru on 2.75 C.F. with mating plug all for $25.00
3 HV feed thrus + very costly 10 pin MDC feed-thru on 2.75 C.F. with mating plug all for $25.00
KF 25 hardware - the lot $20.00
KF 25 hardware - the lot $20.00
KF 50 rings and KF 40 hardware and adapters, plus two ISO 63 seal rings - the lot $15.00
KF 50 rings and KF 40 hardware and adapters, plus two ISO 63 seal rings - the lot $15.00

Return to “Images du Jour”