my 80% there fusor

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
George Ressinger

my 80% there fusor

Post by George Ressinger »

so far my fusor is completely assembled and I'm the troubleshooting portion of the project. I'm trying to get my spellman XLF power supply repaired and running properly, and sus out the leaks so i can get my ion pump started.

i was for a time using flare tubing, but could never get it to seal, so i've replaces all brass with stainless and switched to KF for vacuum pipe and I TIG welded some for the gas line

my apologies for the low photo quality, my phone camera is on the fritz.
Attachments
IMAG0302.jpg
IMAG0328.jpg
IMAG0382.jpg
IMAG0329 (1).jpg
IMAG0327 (1).jpg
IMAG0286.jpg
side view
side view
power supply top view
power supply top view
Richard Hull

Re: my 80% there fusor

Post by Richard Hull »

Nice stuff! Is that a varian ion pump? I am unaware of any amateur ever using an ion pump. A few have inquired about it, but were discouraged from wasting money on one as they just aren't needed. I actually acquired one early on but never put it in my system, realizing it was a bit overkill.

If you get some deuterium in there it looks as if it will work just fine.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
George Ressinger

yup, its an 8 l/s diode pump. they're really efficient at pumping hydrogen, and i had a line on one for cheap so I grabbed it.

I have yet to get down to the 3-5 * 10 **-2 needed to start it, but I'm working to get my rotary pump there.

Fortunately my success scrounging has kept this to about 2500 for the moment.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Question. Why would you want to pump out hydrogen? Just thinkin' and askin'

I would hope you don't get low enough to start it and trap or implant all your Deuterium.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
George Ressinger

haha i meant to type nitrogen, and they deal with hydrocarbons fairly well too.

I don't plan to have it open much when I'm actually fusing, just to clean out my chamber beforehand, as I've gotten lots secondhand and from less clean systems, so its pretty dirty at the moment.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Nice setup; I really like the cart as your main "bench". Best of luck on finishing!
George Ressinger

haha it makes it easier to take out of the living room (family is somewhat less fond of it) thanks, heres hoping its running soon

Return to “Images du Jour”