Archived - Dave Xanatos - Fusor Foundations

Current images of fusor efforts, components, etc. Try to continuously update from your name, a current photo using edit function. Title post with your name once only. Change image and text as needed. See first posting for details.
Dave Xanatos

Archived - Dave Xanatos - Fusor Foundations

Post by Dave Xanatos »

So I am going to make the attempt at (to start) a Demo Fusor, while simultaneously developing a system to make my own D2 from D2O using a PEM cell. Being the owner of an old house with a lot of repairs necessary, my budget for my fusor isn't going to be as high as I'd like, so I believe this is where I also make my request to be placed on the scrounger's list :) I'm pretty much set on the electronics side (used to build Tesla coils, and I'm an electronics engineer) - what I'm mostly going to be in need of - parts and advice - will be on the vacuum and fuel generation/delivery end of things. I just this past week learned what's really meant by high vacuum. Before that I thought my Shop Vac might do the trick!

The images below show where I am in my collecting so far. Not shown are several 5kV and 10kV NSTs, about 40' of 1/4" flexible copper tubing which I believe will be my D2 delivery tubing, and a whole bunch of misc items that are incidental to the build.

I am very thankful to Jake Hecla for his donation of a HyVac Products HyperVac model 100 vacuum pump and the High Voltage Feed Through (well the feed through wasn't a donation, but still... :) ). I've just downloaded all the PDFs for the unit including the exploded parts diagram, and when I get the gallon of HyVac DirectDrive Oil, I'll be rebuilding the unit and restoring it to as close to new as I can. That pump uses KF16 couplings...

The electronics components shown below are representative only - I have many more of most of these (except the two oil-poly caps, those are my only two).

And this weekend I anticipate scoring another dozen or more 16kV microwave oven diodes at our annual electronics recycle event (and maybe a few flyback transformers as well).

Here we go...

Dave
idj1.jpg
idj2.jpg
idj3.jpg
hvtp2.jpg
It would take decades of work, by thousands of scientists, in a particle accelerator powered by dump trucks of flaming grant money! - Professor Farnsworth/FUTURAMA
Dave Xanatos

Re: Dave Xanatos - Fusor Foundations update

Post by Dave Xanatos »

Scored at NEAR Fest in NH today. Fantastic ceramic feed-through insulator, 6" overall length; a 30 Meg fat old wirewound, should find several uses; 12 x 12kv 1A aluminum base diodes - need to find more data on these; 6 x 30k 100W wirewound resistors, plus other random stuff, all totaled for under $30.00. Gotta love the ham fests! Pics below. Has anyone ever seen these diodes before? Google isn't being very helpful with the number, although I have located the manufacturer, so I'll call Monday.
Attachments
picture1119.jpg
picture1111.jpg
picture1109.jpg
picture1108.jpg
picture1106.jpg
It would take decades of work, by thousands of scientists, in a particle accelerator powered by dump trucks of flaming grant money! - Professor Farnsworth/FUTURAMA
Dave Xanatos

Re: Dave Xanatos - Fusor Foundations Update

Post by Dave Xanatos »

Some significant additions to the growing collection of fusor parts - 2.75" 4-way conflat and 2 PEM Electrolyzers to generate D2 from D2O. The conflat wasn't even my fourth choice... but I managed to get it for a price that didn't go out of sight. It's a place to start, anyway, I can always upgrade once the first demo is working.

And I also finished the rebuild of the HyVac 1000 vacuum pump from Jake Hecla. Works great, runs quiet, strong vacuum... just need a gauge now.

Slow and steady...

Dave

DSC00869.JPG
DSC00870.JPG
DSC00871.JPG
DSC00872.JPG
DSC00873.JPG
Dave Xanatos

Re: Archived - Dave Xanatos - Fusor Foundations

Post by Dave Xanatos »

Vacuum work can now begin in earnest! I got an Edwards WRG-SL via ebay and it seems to work. It has some cosmetic issues with the case but the unit seems fully functional and clean. Before I even hook up my KF to CF adaptors, I'm just going to run pressure tests on the pump, fittings and gauge connections to be sure I can get what should be a reasonable roughing pump vacuum with no leaks. I figure it'll be easier to verify each stage first before progressing to the next.

Never thought I'd be so excited about something that really sucks! :)

Pics of gauge & 16 to 25 adapter hooked up attached.
DSC01104.JPG
DSC01105.JPG
DSC01106.JPG
Dave Xanatos

Post by Dave Xanatos »

So I've been silent on here, but not stagnant - see photos below. I'm developing the system monitor for my fusion efforts. Rather than separate voltage & current panel meters, vacuum meters, etc., I thought I'd put it all on a video overlay so it could all be on the same screen as the video of the fusion plasma. Right now it's a small 7" diagonal display, but it uses a standard composite video, so I can display it on a larger screen as desired.

The video overlay is a nice pre-made module from Decade Engineering, the BOB4. The system is driven by a BS2px from Parallax. I have a real-time clock built in (lower left on screen, live data), and a 5-counter CT505 chip that I use to pick up the counts from my gamma detectors (G1-G3) and my as-yet-to-be-built neutron counters (N1 & N2) - all lower right. I know I shouldn't get anything really over background on the gammas, but I have a bunch of tubes and I built a run of circuits for them, so why not stick a few in just for fun...

My vacuum pressure gauge (Edwards WRG) displays in the upper right (simulated at the moment, but it's just a simple ADC with a correspondence table), and the temperature of the chamber wall displays beneath that (live data).

Upper left is the all important voltage and current data (simulated at the moment). Voltage is taken into an LM358 voltage follower and an ADC through a 300M and an 50k voltage divider, with the bottom of the divider chain at +12v, to give me a swing of +12v at 0vdc and +7vdc at -30kvdc, roughly. Current is monitored on the "ground" side of the PS across a 10 ohm 50W wirewound resistor, again through an ADC.

Everything is sequentially polled by the BS2px microcontroller about 3 times per second.

All data is logged in CSV format to an 8Gig memory stick for recording runs... whenever they finally happen.

And because I am a goofball, I also added an EMIC2 text-to-speech module so the thing talks to me. It reads out the startup sequence, and will alert me as various presets are achieved - roughing pressure achieved, neutrons detected, stuff like that.

My goal is to get familiar enough with the parameters of my given setup that I can automate the sequence to achieve fusion, so I can basically flip a switch and it'll bring the initial vacuum down, switch on the diff pump at the right point, when the pressure's down to e-5 or so (whatever it turns out to be for the system) it'll tweak the D, and when the optimal pressure of D is achieved, it'll ramp the voltage and current and adjust for maximum N count.

That's the goal anyway. :)

For now, it's fun just building the monitor and control system.

The image on the screen is just the innards of my 2.75 conflat cross through the viewport. It's a cheap B&W camera for now, I'll use a color camera for the actual unit.

Happy to share details if anyone is interested in a similar setup.

Dave
DSC01292.JPG
DSC01293.JPG
Dave Xanatos

Plasma Cam Mount Complete

Post by Dave Xanatos »

After finishing up some winterizing around the yard today, I got to work on some Fusor stuff. Today I built the mount for the Plasma Cam, see the pics. I built it so it has a great range of adjustment and can accomodate different brands and mounting patterns of cameras in case I ever cook the one that's in there now. Took about 3 hours to fabricate this thing, but I think it'll do the job well and maybe even block a few stray x-rays as long as the voltage stays relatively low :)

Dave
plasmacam01.JPG
plasmacam02.JPG
plasmacam03.JPG
plasmacam04.JPG
plasmacam05.JPG
plasmacam06.JPG
plasmacam07.JPG
plasmacam08.JPG
plasmacam09.JPG
Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson »

Looks good Dave!
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
Dave Xanatos

Post by Dave Xanatos »

Hi folks... I haven't gone away, just haven't really needed to post much. Basically, I've gotten some demo plasma in my original configuration, so I'm building it up into a nice self-contained unit that I can take around to libraries/schools/etc., and give some talks on what fusion is, the differences between fission and fusion, the state of the art, and the possibilities and pitfalls. Once I get this up & running, I'll post videos to secure my status in the "demo plasma club" :) For now, here's some pics of the rebuild into what used to be a file cart!!! Perfect for the demo fusor. These pics were from 6/21/2015, and I've added much since then. Working my a** off to pay the bills, so time is limited, sometimes I only get half an hour a week to work on this... but I'll finish it!
Attachments
fusor2.jpg
fusor1.jpg
fusor5.jpg
fusor4.jpg
fusor3.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

A very nice mobile show-and-tell fusor system.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dave Xanatos

Post by Dave Xanatos »

So I finally managed to dedicate 2 hours to something not explicitly designed to pay the bills or repair the house... I added in the +5, +12 and +24 Vdc power supplies, and wired up the camera and video overlay board, and it's all working nicely so far. Still wishing I could win the lottery... :)
0805152148d.jpg
0805152148c.jpg
0805152148.jpg
0805152149.jpg
0805152149b.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Stick with it! you will get there with the kind of effort we see here.

As a lone wolf with no internet and no fusor.net and being the first amateur fusor builder, it took me 2 1/2 years from beginning until fusion.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dave Xanatos

Post by Dave Xanatos »

Thanks Richard. Meaningful words coming from you, I appreciate it. Slow & Steady wins. Usually :)

While you're here, take a look at something I dug up when going through some of my archived Tesla material... these were from around 1991 or 1992 apparently. Time flies... :)

Dave
TCBORVHS2.jpg
TCBORVHS1.jpg
TCBORVHS3.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Yes, them were th' days. Once I worked up the last magnifier, (10E), as part of the TCBOR around 1997, I started my early fusor work which overtook coiling and I changed the name to HEAS around 2000 to encompass more cool show and tells in the world of high energy.

The VHS tapes are now distributed as DVD's of course. I actually stopped advertising them about 5 years ago.

Richard Hull
Dave Xanatos

Post by Dave Xanatos »

Well, it's been a while. New contract, new vehicle, new roof, and gutting my living room for a complete renovation. And yet I found time to seriously upgrade my fusor with a fantastic little vacuum chamber and high voltage feedthrough that will support my efforts well past "demo" fusor levels. Just mounted the assembly back into the File Cart today, now I need to rewire the HV feed and get a longer vacuum bellows and a few adapters. I also have a second Edwards WRG coming so I can verify vacuum levels between the two. More when I have something significant to show :)

--Dave
0120161850.jpg
0120161850a.jpg
0120161850b.jpg
0120161850c.jpg
0120161851.jpg
0120161851a.jpg
0120161851b.jpg
0120161851c.jpg
0120161852.jpg
0120161852a.jpg
0120161852b.jpg
0120161852c.jpg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Looking good. Getting back to an old effort temporarily set aside is always fun and you have had time to muse over improvements and make them happen. Given time and some retrospective thought, we can easily see improvements that can benefit the effort and make things work better.

This is one of the benefits of slow going.

Richard Hull
Dave Xanatos

Post by Dave Xanatos »

Progress continues, thanks to my machinist friend, Scott Walker (no, he's not running for office! :) ) Scott does great work. Anyone else want a Deuterium Generator like this one? It's just a consolidated version of the one depicted in the forum thread for Deuterium Generation, but custom made to look cool :) Polycarbonate and Stainless Steel. VERY tight tolerances, oil won't leak out of this! PM me if anyone is interested in any.
Parts8.jpg
Parts7.jpg
Parts6.jpg
Parts5.jpg
Parts4.jpg
Parts3.jpg
Parts2.jpg
Parts.jpg
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

Nice! Although I'll bet oil will leak out of the bottom unless you plan to solvent weld the cylinders to the base.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Dave Xanatos

Post by Dave Xanatos »

I did, in fact, seal the cylinder bases. Nothing can make a futuristic looking cool thing look like old tech faster than oily dust :)
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Very well done and professional. Thanks for both the posts and photo's.
Dave Xanatos

Post by Dave Xanatos »

Deuterium Generator installed on the portable demo fusor...
Generator2.jpg
Generator1.jpg
Dave Xanatos

Post by Dave Xanatos »

Finally... Some photos of the demo plasma in the File Cart Fusor. I still have a lot to do, mostly re-installing the vacuum gauges and making a PC board for the microcontroller that will automate and monitor everything... But I couldn't wait any more, so I just twisted some wires together and ran it up. Works pertty well. The glow of the plasma is beautiful, the photo doesn't quite catch the lavender hues. So now... on to a test run with hydrogen from light water... then Deuterium.
0409161926g_resized.jpg
0409161926j~3_resized.jpg
Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson »

I'm dig'n the red foreground (led somewhere I assume) on the white background. Neat picture.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!
Dave Xanatos

Post by Dave Xanatos »

Lol... This is my portable demo unit, so I have all sorts of lights on this. The red light was good timing... It's the HV Enabled Warning Flasher that is mounted atop the white post, visible in the upper picture, upper right corner.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Dave, I have placed you on the Plasma Club lisitng. That is a very nice looking rig. It looks capable of going all the way.

Richard Hull
Dave Xanatos

Post by Dave Xanatos »

Thank you Richard, I'm honored to be listed among such fine company!

Looking forward to the next steps.

Dave

Return to “Images du Jour”