Varian Turbo Pump Help

Every fusor and fusion system seems to need a vacuum. This area is for detailed discussion of vacuum systems, materials, gauging, etc. related to fusor or fusion research.
Aidan Cookson

Varian Turbo Pump Help

Post by Aidan Cookson »

Hi, I have a varian v-70 turbo pump alojng with a varian v-60 controller. Today I finally finished the chamber, and turned on the vacuum system. The mechanical pump worked great, but when i turned on the turbo pump, it said "Pump Awaiting Interlock". Does anyone know what this means or how to fix it? Thanks
prestonbarrows

Re: Varian Turbo Pump Help

Post by prestonbarrows »

In general, an interlock is a safety system meant to prevent hardware from activating when it is in an unsafe configuration. For example, it could be wired to a pressure switch to prevent the turbo from turning on while the system is at a high pressure or a thermometer for over-temperature protection. You can also just hardwire it shut so that it is always on.

On smaller turbos, interlock pins are usually on the controller itself. The correct pin must be grounded or connected to another pin to deactivate the interlock protection and allow the unit to start running. There also is often an interlock circuit integrated into the plug between the turbo and controller to ensure the wires are connected correctly.

Make sure the controller explicitly works with the turbo as well; only specific models will work together.
You should be able to find this information, and full schematics for the pins and interlocks in the user manuals which are generally available online in PDF form.
Aidan Cookson

Post by Aidan Cookson »

I didn't ground anything, so that is probably why. Thanks
Aidan Cookson

Post by Aidan Cookson »

I can't seem to find the manual for the V-60 Turbo Controller anywhere, which pins do I short? I am guessing they are on the connector labeled "P1 Input"

Here is a picture of the back but I can take a closer one if anyone needs. http://www.ajvs.com/images/varian/Varia ... r_3_wm.jpg
Peter Schmelcher

Post by Peter Schmelcher »

Link for the V-70 controller manual. It shows the interlock wiring on page 72.
http://ridl.cfd.rit.edu/products/manual ... -9505).pdf
Have fun
-Peter
Aidan Cookson

Post by Aidan Cookson »

Thanks!

Return to “Vacuum Technology (& FAQs)”